PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Help

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I was asked to bid on a townhome neighborhood. It is like 6 blocks long with two streets branching off. it is absolutely HUGE! Do companies really pay tons of money to have these mowed?? because i am thinking it will literally be about $1500/week for me to mow this. it is pretty nice grass (for rental property) with huge back yards and sidewalks (lots of trimming). i will try and take some pics so you guys can help me bid this....hopefully i am not bitting off more than i can chew!

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 02:11 PM
BTW i bought a new Grasshopper 725G2 60" and was thinking about buying a snapper 48 walkbehind? what does everyone think about this equipment?

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
also...i live in this area...should i bid different because of that?? and is it weird to mow where you rent?

Trevors Lawn Care
08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Go for it...you can always finance equipment if you need it

trevor

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
here are some pics...this is only part of it...

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
here is some more

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:15 PM
there are a couple of areas this size and one BIGGER!

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:16 PM
two areas like this

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
btw...there are two entrances

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 03:21 PM
the grass may look good in the pics...but walk through it...clumps everywhere...ate up trash everywhere...shi$ trimming job...and forget about blowing off...don't we have wind for that anyway LOL...down to it..the company that does it now sucks and takes them two days....they only work 4 hrs on it or so...b4 they come back the next day or even after that

fga
08-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Joplin Mower
the grass may look good in the pics...but walk through it...clumps everywhere...ate up trash everywhere...shi$ trimming job...and forget about blowing off...don't we have wind for that anyway LOL...down to it..the company that does it now sucks and takes them two days....they only work 4 hrs on it or so...b4 they come back the next day or even after that maybe they underbid too much and are getting burned, and don't want it anymore. or maybe the HOA?? is cheap and doesn't want to pay for quality work. not everything is as it always appears. do you know how much they are getting for this? what did you say you wanted, 1500 weekly.. maybe they got this guy for $400, and he's working accordingly. be careful what you get yourself into, just because it is a huge account, doesn't mean it will pay huge.

LwnmwrMan22
08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
You say the current guy is working 4 hours / day at it??? How many guys? If it's 3 guys, then they're working 12 manhours / day at it, which means if you're solo, it'll take you 12 hours to do what they're doing in 4.

I don't know, but if I were to bid on it, it would be at LEAST $1500 / week, OR depending on if it's irrigated, if it isn't then I might shoot them a price of $5300 / month for however long your mowing season is.

It's always nice to get something like this on contract, so you can bet that set amount of money will be coming in each month, especially if you end up financing some equipment, rather than do it on a weekly bid, and then have a month of dry weather and not mow it.

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 03:49 PM
$1500 a week ain't a bad place to start at.. I'd offer to cut it once at that, and adjust from there.

PLM-1
08-11-2004, 04:20 PM
there are usually 2 trimmers and 1 WB and a ZTR. since i live here i was sitting out in the back and the guy came around to trim and i asked him how much these guys get paid for this and he told me 1650/per week...of course he didn't know i mow.

do ppl usually respond well to "let me cut it once and then a possible adjustment"? just curious....

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Joplin, I don't know about that, it's just a suggestion. I haven't bid on anything that big yet, but if I did, I'd just measure it off and bid to profit well.....

LwnmwrMan22
08-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Problem with something that size, if you bid to profit well, you're not going to get it.

I mow a school district. I bid it at $35,000 / year, regardless of the number of times it needs to be mowed (The most I've ever mowed in 16 years is 25 times, and that was once). The reason I chose this price, was because it would pay for the new equipment that I needed to buy and the cost to run the equipment, no profit.

If I got this account, and it paid for the bigger equipment (Kubota 4350, 12' Bush-Hog Tri-deck finish mower, 2002 Dodge Ram, 26' Flatbed trailer) plus the cost of running this equipment, it would cut down on the time that it took to do my other large open areas, which meant more profit at those locations, and not the school district.

I guess what I'm getting at, is if you have 1 large account, chances are, your profit % will be less, and in ways it should be, because you don't have to pay for windshield time, you're at one location therefore less time invoicing, etc.

EastProLawn
08-11-2004, 10:45 PM
If you feel comfortable at $1500, I would start there or a little higher so you don't shoot yourself in the foot....

PLM-1
08-12-2004, 01:41 AM
thanks guys...also...

do any of you guys take more than one day to mow a yard...just curious? is that unprofessional?

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 04:15 AM
I do one that takes about 32 hours and I do it over 2 days. If it is 6 blocks long than it can be done in sections and not look unfinished.
BE VERY CAREFUL. This job could kill your business as a small percentage mistake could be thousands over the year. The first question to ask is "Are you ready to do this big of a job"
Do you have insurance to cover, do you have labor in place to handle another 20 -30 hours a week? This will be full service-do you do that? This has to be a contract that spells out exactly what is expected as far as scope of work and finance terms. Do you have a contract set up to use.
Not trying to be a smart a## but the qustion of price to do this raises a big RED FLAG. For anybody to answer is also ludicrous as there is no way to know till you measure it all.
A job like this will take almost a day to measure it all out and figure your time. That is the only way to do this. Count each bush to trim and measure each foot of trimming and edging. Measure the lawn and figure in the difficulty/obstacle factor. Will you be doing mulch- add that in Fert/appl. All that has to be worked in to the contract.
As far as you living there, NO, no break in price. Good luck with this but be very careful.

PLM-1
08-12-2004, 11:06 AM
thanks for your insight...i was planning on "wheeling" it out...you're right...it's gonna take a while. the owner has Tru-Green take care of the fert. so i don't need to worrry about that...thank god.