PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Ramps

Husky03
08-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a 10' x 7' trailer that I purchased to use for mowing. It is a dump trailer that the guy used for his quads. I need to be able to get my mower on and off of my trailer safely. I do not know which mower I am going to buy yet, but it is going to be over 400 pounds so I do not think the boards with the metal ends are going to work very well. I already purchased the metal board ends and fastened them to a 2'' x 6'' board, now I am having second thoughts. The mower I get is going to be a gear drive so I will not be able to back it onto the trailer. I was going to walk behind up the boards and to get it off I was going to just turn it around and drive it off of the trailer. There would be plenty of room on my trailer to turn it around. If I am careful can i do this safely or what should I do? I cannot afford to spend a ton of money on ramps at this time. Thanks for any help :)

GeeVee
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
A trailer dealer near you would most likely build and install a typical expanded metal gate/ramp for 95 beans.

Do that instead of anything else.

NNJLandman
08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
I would suggest finding a really old trailer somewhere in a junkyard maybe and jus salvaging the door on the back of it, or you could get some plywood, 2 by 4's, some sheet metal, and some hinges or something, work something out dude, this should be your chance to be creative, I could think of a bunch of things to solve this problem, i jus don't wanna explain it all.

Jeff

Husky03
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
NNJLandman, that is the the problem. I am not very creative.
GeeVee, I will see if there are any trailer dealers locally. I cannot think of any off the top of my head. $95 seams a little cheap to me.

Remsen1
08-11-2004, 04:01 PM
check EBay under "aluminum atv ramp"

fga
08-11-2004, 04:07 PM
how high is the trailer off the ground? and what kind of mower, walk behind or rider?
a walk behind should have no trouble on the wooden ramps. i loaded a 48" wb up and down on my dumptruck, whichis about waist high. a trailer should be lower then that.
I don't think you'll find a door installed or anything for $95 dollars. everything is cheaper in florida. for a ramp door here, would be no less then $300 installed.

riches139
08-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Your wooden ramps will work allright.
If you're worried about the weight, just put a couple of cinder blocks midway underneith the ramps.

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Husky, I strongly concur with GV's advice.. Find someone who can build you a ramp.. Around here A guy wanted @ 220 to build one. Which is dirt cheap compared to a hospital visit after the mower falls off of or breaks the boards, hurting or killing you... I would still do it even if the trailer is only 18" to 2 feet off the ground based on the time savings alone vs. ramps....

BMFD92
08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
i have wooden ramps and go up and down my truck everday. I back my gear drive down with no problem.

TrueTrim1
08-12-2004, 12:51 AM
I would not be as concerned about the wood breaking as I would be about the ramps either slipping off the trailer, the mower falling off the ramps ( afew inches one way or another and you've had it), or the mower slipping on the ramps when it is wet.

I thought about wooden ramps myself at first, but then decided that it would be too risky. One mistake loading or unloading could be all it takes.

HOOLIE
08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
I've taken my 36" gear drive on and off my truck with wooden ramps now over 2500 times without incident. When backing down, stand on the bottom of the ramps until the rear wheels are on the ramps. It helps to tip the handlebars down so the front wheels are in the air. From previous experience, the front wheels kind of hook on the ramp at the top if you don't do this, usually this is what causes the ramps to slip off the truck.

trying 2b organic
08-12-2004, 01:08 AM
?? What metal things did you guys buy to attach to the end of your 2 by 6's, darn i had to find/salvage something, it took me 2 days to find and it isnt that strong. (metal clips used for fencing i think). Also, for moving the aerator on and off i bought steel ramps, they are terrible, way to heavy, but I cant find aluminum ramps at a decent price here.
oh btw, Im talking about for loading on and off the F150.

HOOLIE
08-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic
?? What metal things did you guys buy to attach to the end of your 2 by 6's, darn i had to find/salvage something, it took me 2 days to find and it isnt that strong. (metal clips used for fencing i think). Also, for moving the aerator on and off i bought steel ramps, they are terrible, way to heavy, but I cant find aluminum ramps at a decent price here.
oh btw, Im talking about for loading on and off the F150.

The brand name is RamParts, I think. They also sell metal ends for the bottoms, but I've never seen them. I bought mine at Lowes, I've also seen them at dealers. They come with a chart, you measure the height of your tailgate, and it tells you what length the boards should be. I think that's why a lot of guys are afraid of wooden ramps, I've seen people using some that a way too short.