PDA

View Full Version : Exmark, Gravely, or Scag 36" WB

Husky03
08-11-2004, 03:34 PM
These are the three I am trying to decide between. I like the gravely the best, but I would get better dealer support with the Scag or Exmark. This is my first big mower. I have $3000 to spend on it, It will be a fixed deck gear drive.
Prices:
Scag- $2500
Gravely- $2600
Exmark- $2700
I will be able to pull a sulky/velky with no problems on these mowers correct? I appreciate the help. :)

TClawn
08-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I've never owned one but I think that for a gear drive I like the gravely pro-g a lot. but if you don't have good dealer support (like I would have if I bought a gravely) you would eventually spend more time waiting to get parts than mowing.
that said, I like the exmark better than the scag because th lawn looks "cleaner" when your done with it and has the ECS controls.

but remember DEMO DEMO DEMO! you have to find out what is best for you on your grass type's and you lawns.

Husky03
08-11-2004, 11:03 PM
TClawn, I talked to the Gravely dealer and he said that they do not stock all of the parts, but some. They said that unless it was a serious problem they could have it fixed in 2-3 days. This would be fine for me. The problems comes up when you say demo. The dealer has a small shop and they do not keep any mowers there to demo. I do not know if they would order one for me to demo or not. Should I even ask for them to do that? Thanks for the help. Any opinions welcome.

Green&Growing
08-11-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a 36" Ex Mark Metro fixed deck with the ECS. I love the ECS...just watch the low trees. I know this will pull me no problem and I'm 200#'s. It runs great and starts easily (pull start).
Two thing I don't like:
The fixed deck. It scalps hills and deep bumps easily. And I can't get it to lay "good" stripes. It does leave a stripe, but not a strong one. I have adjusted deck height a couple times and tried double mowing. No luck so far.

I paid $1250.00 for mine. It was 1 year old and had about 6 hours on it. There is no hour meter, but I bought it from someone I know very well. Maybe wait till season end when a bunch of LCO's are going out of business. Thats swhen I got a steal on mine.
Hope it helps! Good Luck.....

odin
08-11-2004, 11:24 PM
only one i can tell you any thing about is the scag.They are Built like a tank ,built to last.

Cut quality is excellent and they stripe great stock out the box.easy to maintain

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I've used the Scag belt drive WB's extensivelly.. They are deffinatly a real tough machine, almost bulletproof, BUT the freaking pistol grip controls on them killed my hands by the eng of a 11hr day.. otherwise, a great mower..

BTW, you commented about the Gravely dealer not stocking many parts and not having a demo... If I were you, Personally, I wouldn't buy diddly from em' ... When my Dane surfer munched a belt the dealer 6 miles down the road from my house didn't even have a belt in stock...Usually, In my experience, if they won't let you/ or don't have amachine to demo, they ain't worth dealin with, IMHO...

mhelberg
08-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Love my exmark metro!!! Just bought a new one about 3 months ago, paid $2150 brand new from the dealer.

MTR
08-12-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Husky03
These are the three I am trying to decide between. I like the gravely the best, but I would get better dealer support with the Scag or Exmark. This is my first big mower. I have $3000 to spend on it, It will be a fixed deck gear drive.
Prices:
Scag- $2500
Gravely- $2600
Exmark- $2700
I will be able to pull a sulky/velky with no problems on these mowers correct? I appreciate the help. :)

For all the price you listed, I would shop for a used Hydro unit, like a 48" or 52", looking for one that is under 500 hrs, lots of life in it. The belt WB is a good to start, but if I were you I would buy a used Hydro WB cause it is the one and only way to go. You won't see the difference but once you are on sulky, the hydro is by far and most apart most productive, the belt is no match. The fatigue factor from belt WB is enough to run only hydro machine.
I have both a 36" belt and 52" Hydro eXmark, so I think I know something out of my experience, but it is your call no one can force you to buy a belt walk as main mower.

Ryan Lightning
08-12-2004, 03:11 AM
I used a 36" scag hydro for a week, and the controls killed my hands, I stopped early one day because my hands couldnt take any more. Its the dead man switchs that hurt my hands. My exmark is way more comfortable.
And I would spend extra and get a hydro.

Ray & Karen
08-12-2004, 08:04 AM
I purchased the Gravely Pro-G 36, and aside from price, the selling point for me was the easy deck height adjustment.

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Just bought a Proline HYDRO 36 pistol grip for 2700. Love it over my belt drive. My feeling is that a 36 will be used in a smaller area where you will do a lot of turning and backing. The hydro will be much cheaper over time because it is more maneuverable. Just my thought.

Itsgottobegreen
08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I have an 32" eXmark metro and I love it. But If you are going with a 36" get a hydro. Trust me and everyone else that says that. It will save you more money in the long run.

BostonGuy
08-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I've run the 36" Gravely for 2 years. They are well built machines that get the job done. With that said, stay away from the belt drive, it isn't the best design. Forget it if you ever have to back up.

Husky03
08-12-2004, 12:39 PM
I know hydro is much better than belt, but I can not afford one. They are well over $3000, most of them pushing $4000. Lawn mowers must be expensive in my area. If I was going to spend close to $4000 I would get the Hustler Mini Fastrak 36" for $3700. I have decided to stay away from the Gravely dealer in my area. I will have to drive to another dealer or just stick with the Exmark or Scag. You guys have pretty much ruled out the scag because of the pistols.

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 12:46 PM
The Toro I got for $2700 is a HYDRO Fixed deck. I don't like the pistol as much as ECS but I will change that this winter if I keep using it. Most of my guys don't seem to care.
Maybe look at used stuff.

Husky03
08-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I have been to most all of the dealers in my area looking for used stuff and there does not seem to be anything good.

TClawn
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
TClawn, I talked to the Gravely dealer and he said that they do not stock all of the parts, but some. They said that unless it was a serious problem they could have it fixed in 2-3 days. This would be fine for me. The problems comes up when you say demo. The dealer has a small shop and they do not keep any mowers there to demo. I do not know if they would order one for me to demo or not. Should I even ask for them to do that? Thanks for the help. Any opinions welcome.

is there a larger dealer within a 100 miles? if so you might want to call them and see if you can set up a demo on the unit your interested in.

Gravely_Man
08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear that you can't demo the Gravely. I would call around to see if someone else deals in any of the three units and demo them. Even if you can demo say the Gravely but the demo is a long way off that is a bad thing. To make the best decision you not only have to weigh what is the best product but also the dealer support. Sounds like you have thought this through. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

odin
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Im not knocking anybody ..but for the life of me i dont see the big deal about pistol grips ...they dont botter me one bit.

TClawn
08-12-2004, 05:19 PM
I know hydro is much better than belt, but I can not afford one. They are well over $3000, most of them pushing $4000. Lawn mowers must be expensive in my area. If I was going to spend close to $4000 I would get the Hustler Mini Fastrak 36" for $3700. I have decided to stay away from the Gravely dealer in my area. I will have to drive to another dealer or just stick with the Exmark or Scag. You guys have pretty much ruled out the scag because of the pistols.

the exmark viking is a hydro. also the msrp is 4200 for the 36" if your looking at a belt drive I would probably go with the metro hp 36",although that has an msrp of 3400.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by odin
Im not knocking anybody ..but for the life of me i dont see the big deal about pistol grips ...they dont botter me one bit.

Odin, it's because of your He-man grip...:D My Arms aren't feeble by any measure either, but I've got that Carpal Tunnel syndrome garbage and my Hands fatigue after a few hrs to where my hands get this sensation of someone stabbing me in my palms... In the short term pistol grips don't bother me at all.... It's after a few hrs... Kinda like arm pump when you ride a Motocross bike....:(

Husky03
08-12-2004, 06:06 PM
I really appreciate all of the responses with me being new and all. You guys are great. I am trying to set up a demo right now for the Scag. Scag seems to mkae great products. I never hear anything bad about them, and I see a lot of them around town. As I have said I have no experiance with walk behinds at all, only my 21":p so I do not know if I would like the pistols or not. The scag also only cost $2500 at my dealer which is a good thing. Am I going to have any problems getting a demo with me only being 15 years old? I guess I will just put it under my dads name. I have to get my trailer licsensed before I can go to pick up the demo.:D Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming.

hardtail70
08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
go hydro and spend the mony you will not regret it. I wish my 36 scag was hydro and I will most likely buy a 36 hydro before next year. it is very difficult to back up a belt drive machine.