PDA

View Full Version : trimmer problems

musselman
08-11-2004, 05:07 PM
My trimmer (it a Makita) was running great before lunch , but after lunch it starts right up runs great for about 30 seconds then dies...it will start right back up and die agian after about 30 seconds...it will run longer when Im not running it wide open , but when it dies it like it runs out of gas sputters then dies. I changed the the fuel filter and cleaned the carburator...its still doing the same thin any suggestions would be helpful since Im about 75 miles from the nearest small engine mechanic. Thanks

scottishmaximus
08-11-2004, 05:14 PM
check your muffler and spark arrester. These get caked with crud.

TClawn
08-11-2004, 05:20 PM
you may have a bad fuel breather or you may have air pockets in your fuel line. you can fix the air pockets by starting the engine and running it as high as it can go with out stalling while flipping the choke up and down hold the choke up as long as you can without stalling the and then flip it down to "save" the engine. repeat untill it runs smooth on full throttle.

it could also be that youre creating a vacuum in the fuel tank by using some of the gas in the moring you sucking matter out of the tank and if the tank is sealed there's no air coming in to replace it thus creating a vacuum. that why I think it could be the fuel breather. also you could try unscrewing the gas cap and putting it back on.

hope this helps.

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by scottishmaximus
check your muffler and spark arrester. These get caked with crud.

that is exactly what I was going to suggest

locutus
08-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Fuel cap not venting.

DLCS
08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by locutus
Fuel cap not venting.

Yep, i bet thats it.

musselman
08-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far..not the fuel cap tried the cap off of another machine...same problem. Ill have to check out the crud build up...I do run Opti 2 in the fuel that is expose to eliminate that problem....What do you mean by fuel breather TCLawn? is that the return line? Thanks anymore suggestions would be appreciated