PDA

View Full Version : Edging estimate needed!!

HighGrass
08-11-2004, 05:09 PM
I am thinking about adding edging to my mowing service next year. I plan on purchasing a Stihl stick edger and need to know about how much to charge additionally for the service.

Example...say a hundred feet costs "$.$$"

lawnmowingboys
08-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Time is money!

Take your rate that you charge to mow a given lawn, then divide it by the number of minutes it takes to complete (mow, trim and blow) that lawn

If you charge $30 for a 30 min lawn, then that is $1.00 per minute.

If you can do 10 feet of edging in a minute, you can edge 100 feet for $10.00.

With edging the first time always takes longer, then the second and remaining times will only take a fraction of the time.

I have a stick edger. I edged with it last year for all my lawns, now I just turn the trimmer head upside down and edge it with string.

I charge $15 for the the initial edging of a property, only if the home owner wants it.

If you get into new edging around flower beds and landscaping, you may want a walk behind edger. That stick edger won't have the weight to keep marching thru the grass and dirt.

drsogr
08-11-2004, 08:02 PM
I think that most people include edging when they are mowing. Edging takes practically no time, after you edge the first time. I edge my driveway and my patio in about 5 minutes. It just makes everything look nicer. Include it in your service and up your price a few bucks.

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Highgrass, I edge every single lawn I do. The key is to time yourself like was said, measure off like 100 ft of nasty, overgrown stuff and time your self with whatever equipment you get/have.. This way, when you pick up a real nasty one you have a mental and acctual example of your time involved... I have a junky old WB edger that I establish an edge with, once it's established, I maintain the edge with my trimmer and about every other month I re-do it with the WB, as the edge will fill back in from the rain, debris etc....Personally, I wish I had a decent stick edger, but like I said, maintaining with a trimmer is cake mix once you've established the edge, plus, edging with your trimmer equals one less trip back to the truck to change tools.. Oh, yeah If I bid an account with lots of edging, I of course adjust the price to reflect it...God bless and good on ya'..:D

DennisF
08-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Edging is included in every lawn I do. And that includes edging the landscape beds. Most of my lawns take about 10 minutes to edge everything with the Stihl stick edger. Edging makes your finished work look much more professional. Most homeowners really like the look. If you haven't been doing it...start and you'll get compliments from your customers and that will lead to refferrals.

Turfdude
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
What kinda business r u running? I guess I take for granted that I've always included edging, line trimming & blowing off curblines, driveways, walks, patios, hardscapes and decks as a part of my service. Geez, we even spray non-selective herbicides on sidewalk & driveway seams as part of the service.

Okay sir/maam that'll be $10 to mow, $5 for trimming, $5 for edging and another $10 to blow it all off. Sorry, in our neat little land of suburbia, this is a basic service. Its all included. Actually, since my company name is on the job, it gewts done properly or not at all.

Ol'time Lawncare
08-11-2004, 10:11 PM
just like every one said , it should be included!and for all that the least you should charge is a buck a minute

GrassBustersLawn
08-11-2004, 10:14 PM
WOW, looks to me like you guys are GIVING IT AWAY!

EDGING is an ADD ON service for my clients. I charge 15 cents per linear foot. If they have 100 feet of sidewalk it would cost them (100 x .15) x 3 = $45.00 (The sidewalk has 2 edges & the curb edge for the street makes 3.) I use a walkbehind edger for this job. It is hard & nasty, especially the first time an unruly walk is edged. I WANT TO BE PAID FOR THE WORK! My clients get edged 3 times a season. (Of course, second & third time are less difficult then the first.) My minimum charge is $30 & I have several that run in the $150 range.

WE MAKE THE INVESTMENT in the equipment to do the job, we do the work (that the homeowner doesn't want to bother with anyway) we should get paid a fair price for it! I wouldn't even bother to get an edger off my truck for $10!!!!

Mike

Turfdude
08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GrassBustersLawn
WOW, looks to me like you guys are GIVING IT AWAY!

WE MAKE THE INVESTMENT in the equipment to do the job, we do the work (that the homeowner doesn't want to bother with anyway) we should get paid a fair price for it! I wouldn't even bother to get an edger off my truck for $10!!!!

Mike

Again, we do this weekly. Whats a stick edger run, a measly $400 for a good one? We do 200+ lawns a week, average 30 visits a season and the machine will last at least 2-3 seasons. How much does it cost & how much time does it take? Our average lots are 50-100' wide w/ walks to the front doors too. It takes 1 man approx 5 mins to edge it. You have to blow it off anyway, so where's the biggie? Do it weekly, if the edge has not been done in a long time, or ever, charge accordinglyu for that initial edging, then just include the weekly deal in the price. Your work and word of mouth referrals are wsat make/break your reputation.

MudslinginFX4
08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Like many others, I edge every time I mow. I do not however give it away. Edging, Trimming, Blowing and Mowing are all part of the original price that I give the customer. I no longer offer just mowing, it's either all or nothing. I feel that doing everything will make the customers property look a lot better and will therefore get me more business from people just seeing what a great job we do.

lqmustang
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
I have to agree with GrassBusterLawn on this one. I make a good extra penny charging for edging. Now, while I will take a minute or two to maintain an edge I've done for a customer, the initial edging job is always a separate service, charged between 20 and 30 cents/foot depending on how bad/good the edge is, and if I'm edging sidewalks or trench edging beds. I usually get close to an extra $100 per mulch job for selling them on the trench edging to go along with it.

ed2hess
08-11-2004, 10:26 PM
In our part of the country edging along sidewalks and driveway are included along with trimming around all trees, shrubs, fences, etc. The competition helps you decide what your are going to charge.....assuming you plan to grow the business.