PDA

View Full Version : New trailer time

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, i got in a big wreck and my tongue got bent on my old trailer (6x10). i fixed it, but decided i need a larger trailer anyways.

here she is. it's a 6x12 with a 60"w side gate. and 72"w rear gate. I immediately put electric brakes on it since poor stopping distance was the reason i had to get a new trailer anyways. For you guys that think its not worth it, it is. i love this trailer over my old one because i swapped out the brakes.

I

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:43 PM
i added some recessed floor rings to hold down the Z

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:45 PM
i also bought 12 D-rings to weld onto the side frames of the trailer. Was going to put them on today, but it rained.

gogetter
08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
That's nice. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

What brand?

Do they make it with a smaller side gate (like 36"-48" wide)?.

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:49 PM
While i was at it i spent another $80 and put on a break-a-way kit. I know the chance of it ever being put to use is very small, but $80 is cheap enough insurance for me.

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:50 PM
this is the last one, i bought a brake controller for the truck but i don't really like the way this one works. i think i'm going to get a better one. i mistakenly thought it was an inertia controller, but its not.

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 06:55 PM
it is a Carry-On brand trailer. I paid $1300 for the trailer with the gates, i bought it @ tractor supply co.

They make the same trailer without the front/side gate, but not with different sizes ( i don't think). the 60" gate is the only way to go IMO. i can get my 50" WB up fine, i could get a 52/54" up there also, I'd rather have the gate 6" too wider than it needs to be than have it need to be 6" wider when i'm in a pinch.

Overall I'm satisfied with the new trailer. It's not quite as beefy as my old trailer. I have a feeling i'll be re-welding the expanded metal gates in a little while. However i was in a bind because of the accident and had to buy something that day.

all together it took me about 1 day to completely track down and install the brakes. I could probably do another trailer in half the time now that i know how.

BladeRunner1967
08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
how much does it cost to put brakes on a trailer?

BSDeality
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
all together i spent +/- $500 installing the brakes. that includes all the wires, connectors, hardware, new wiring harnesses.

rough break down as follows:
(2) backing plates/shoes $60/ea
(2) drums $65/ea
(1) breakaway kit $80
(1) controller $100
and another $60-70 in harnesses, wires, connectors, etc.

costly? sure. worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

blair smock
08-12-2004, 03:11 PM
man I need to sell mine and get one of those!!!

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
BS, I've got a Carry on 6x12 enclosed and I love it.. I like your tie downs.. In mine, I nailed down some " chocks " I made out of 2x4's, they work great as well, and no time spent strapping/ un- strapping.. I really dig that side gate... it is nice! Good luck on your wreck situation....

BSDeality
08-13-2004, 12:40 AM
i always strap my load down unless i stay in the same neighborhood or sub-dev. When i got in my accident i had 10K # straps on both machines and they both slid forward about 8". i couldn't imagine how far they would have gone if they were just sitting on top.chocked.

The side gate is worth its weight in gold. no more unloading the Z to get to the WB for the small accounts. Now i just need to get some racks and a diamond plate box for the tongue.

PLM-1
08-13-2004, 01:33 AM
you don't like that brake controller??...i have an Impulse and I love it! i can put it between the seats and not have to look at it...electronic is the way to go!

BSDeality
08-13-2004, 02:18 AM
the controller works ok. I don't like how you can't put the brakes on lightly without the trailer loading up. I've got 3000# on the trailer. i hardly need it when i'm barely moving through a parking lot, but when in order for it to be effective @ speed i have the unit up to 30-35%. Now when i'm in a parking lot and just barely touch the brakes the trailer brakes surge to 30% which is way too much when its barely moving.

Ursushorribilus
08-13-2004, 05:37 PM
How heavy can you load it?

BSDeality
08-13-2004, 06:37 PM
the trailer has a GVRW of 2990. I'm positive that it is phsyically capable of more than that. the trailer weighs 990lbs, leaving 2k lb's. the axle is a 3500# as well as the springs. They rate it on the low side because some states have regulations for trailers over 3k lbs

It suits my needs perfectly, light enough for pulling around daily, just big enough to hold my equipment for my mowing route and it has brakes (now).

scottishmaximus
08-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I have one of those break controllers. It is absolutely trash. It is more dangerous than having a trailer without brakes. You have to adjust it way down for city driving. If you forget to adjust them back up, good luck stopping at higher speeds. Plain and simple it stinks and is one of my worst buys. I found a controller that has a chord like a cb and velcros to the dash. You can adjust the power for the controller just like the one that you have, and you can also adjust the time it takes to reach full power. You can also activate the breaks by squeezing it like a cb (that's why it has the chord). You can control exactly how much breaking you want at that time or squeeze it really fast for an emergency stop. I like it better than inertia switches because bumps have triggered it and lock up the trailer brakes. The "cb" style that i have described is the best that i've used. I don't remeber the name. If i remember i'll let you know.

scottishmaximus
08-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I have one of those break controllers. It is absolutely trash. It is more dangerous than having a trailer without brakes. You have to adjust it way down for city driving. If you forget to adjust them back up, good luck stopping at higher speeds. Plain and simple it stinks and is one of my worst buys. I found a controller that has a chord like a cb and velcros to the dash. You can adjust the power for the controller just like the one that you have, and you can also adjust the time it takes to reach full power. You can also activate the breaks by squeezing it like a cb (that's why it has the chord). You can control exactly how much breaking you want at that time or squeeze it really fast for an emergency stop. I like it better than inertia switches because bumps have triggered it and lock up the trailer brakes. The "cb" style that i have described is the best that i've used. I don't remeber the name. If i remember i'll let you know.

BSDeality
08-15-2004, 08:13 PM
please let me know scottishmaximus. i need to get a new controller soon

Lawnchoice
08-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Did you get that trailer locally?

I am in New Hampshire, but have purchased trailers from a company in Ellington before.

Thanks.

BSDeality
08-18-2004, 01:14 AM
lawnchoice, no. i bought it in Amenia, NY.

that place in ellington must be Lee's auto ranch? They're about 20 minutes from UCONN where i go to schoo. they had a pretty goodsize selection last time i was there in the spring. its about a 1.5hr drive there from my house though.

scottishmaximus
08-18-2004, 01:29 AM
here is the controller. If you find something better, let me know. This is the best I have used. I paid 150 for it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=5510&Category_Code=BC

scottishmaximus
08-18-2004, 01:31 AM
another neat feature about it is if the remote is disconnected, the controller maintains whatever settings it had.

BSDeality
08-18-2004, 04:58 PM
i like the idea that you can boost the amount of power you need on the hand held, what i don't like is the fact that its hand held and most likely will be stuffed in the seat or tangled up in another cord. I think i'm going to go with a Prodidgy or Odyssey inertia controller.

scottishmaximus
08-18-2004, 11:00 PM
The velcro did get hot and fall off on mine. I always stick it on my lap when i get in and put it on the dash when i get out. Good luck with whatever you get. Anything is better than the one you have.

SOS
08-19-2004, 02:02 AM
I know a few people that have the Prodidgy controller and they really like it. I have to get one for my trailer as well but with the season coming to and end here in a couple months I think I'll just take extra care and add it on in the spring.