PDA

View Full Version : JD or Stihl trimmer

boxoffire
08-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Ok, I think I have read enough about trimmers out here to conclude that you may as well buy commercial and save yourself time and money in the long run. I want something light and easy to start and durable. Think I am down to the JD or Stihl. From folks replies out here it appears they are the most durable. I live very close to a JD dealer where I bought my L110 last summer and they have trimmers. I think they a similar in pricing but not for sure on that.

Has Stihl been in the business of trimmers longer and which would you recommend? Ease of use and weight are important to me, and finally durability. Can I really not go wrong with either one?

Thanks.

Great site!

Adam in NC

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Of the two, I'd go with Stihl, like the 85... But you didn't mention what would be my choice... Kawasaki..

dvmcmrhp52
08-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Stihl.
The fs 85's are left to inventory on hand but the fs 80's are the same trimmer with a cable drive rather than a solid drive.
we have both and Both models work very well.

odin
08-11-2004, 08:26 PM
sthil been makeing trimmer for a longggggg time....stihl is very durable ...have no idea about jd ....but you cant wear a stihl out.

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 08:28 PM
I will never use or buy another trimmer except for Stihl..they are made to last

No Lawncares
08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I have to go with Stihl too. I will never buy any thing else. I have even lost my trimmer going 35 down the street, went back got it and not 1 thing wrong.

Husky03
08-12-2004, 06:10 PM
There seems to be a problem with the starting modules in Stihl products. I have had my edger for less than 2 months and the starter has went out twice. Has anyone else had this problem?

green with envy
08-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I have both a JD and a Stihl fs 85. The JD is lighter and the trimmer head is elevated about on inch. I like that it's hard to scalp the grass with the Jd.

That being said. I think the Stihl is the better built trimmer the JD is a bit of a pain in the assshh to re string and the engine is smaller.

If I have light trimming to do I'll bring the JD but if it will be a long day for the trimmer give me the Stihl.

Just my 2 cents worth.

MIke

Lawn Dog2001
08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
You will not go wrong with Stihl. I think in the long run you will have much better luck with a Stihl than the Deere. We have two FS85s and they run great. I used to be a big Echo fan, but from now on I will only buy Stihl.

NC Scaper
08-12-2004, 06:54 PM
stihl,stihl,stihl,stihl,stihl,stihl,stihl,stihl

LLandscaping
08-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Stihl, we have two FS 85's and one FS 110. One FS 85 is four seasons old and still runs great.

odin
08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
who manufacturers the motor's for jd two cycle stuff .

dvmcmrhp52
08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
JD is kawasaki I believe.....................

locutus
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by odin
who manufacturers the motor's for jd two cycle stuff . I'd like to know that myself. They appear to have bought Redmax's stratafied scavaging technology for their engines. If you look close at their trimmer heads, they look exactly like the Redmax trimmer head.

To clarify the engine thing, I meant Zenoah engine technology.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
No tellin' but lookin' at it ( JD ), it doesn't look like Kawasaki engines... But I may be wrong. Any body else notice that almost every JD dealer sells Stihl stuff as well? At least every JD dealer within 80 miles of me...

odin
08-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I dont know if they still own them..but jd use to own homelite .
Did jd ever use any homelite motors on their two cycle stuff.

dvmcmrhp52
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
No tellin' but lookin' at it ( JD ), it doesn't look like Kawasaki engines... But I may be wrong. Any body else notice that almost every JD dealer sells Stihl stuff as well? At least every JD dealer within 80 miles of me...

I know for sure that their backpacks are kawi engines............
Not real sure on the trimmers.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Odin, you're right, I have seen some JD stuff made by homelite... I think they still sell that junk at one of the big box stores.. Kinda like how they sell the cheap junky JD riders at the Depot.

They ( JD ) do sell some nice saws ( at least they look nice ) at JD dealers... But I don't think they impress me much.. I used an old JD chainsaw 12 years ago.. Junk Junk Junk..

odin
08-12-2004, 10:13 PM
at one time remington saws made jd saws back in the 70ties ...pretty much crap

dwc
08-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I have been running a JD xt140 and liked everything about it but the weight. It is about 4 years old and I use it hard all season. The part the head screws to and that connects it to the shaft stripped out today so I went and bought a Stihl FS80R. Only got to use it about an hour but I can say that it is the best trimmer right out of the box I have ever used. It is really light too which is something I wanted. The Deere gets a little heavy carrying it around all day. Hope this helps.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Dvm, yeah, It seems like a lot of companies relabel Kawi blowers, JD, Husky, and Poulan Pro to name a few, I'm sure there are others.. Our Church has one of the Poulan labeled ones.. I like it..
I was at a local dealer pickin' up some blades the other day, and he said " Check this out" and showed me ( gramar? ) an ancient, ( probly 15 yrs old ) Solo trimmer with an 18 cc Kawi motor on it... I may go back and try to pick it up from him for a back up.. That one and the old T-18 Shin trimmer I had back in 90' ( I think ) were some of the best trimmers I ever used... I think they turned 13, 000 rpm..No joke, and my Shin was smoooth. Too bad a turd stole it from me!!!

big tim afm
08-12-2004, 10:18 PM
i have been using a jd for 2 years no problems so far! i do hear stihl make's a better trimmer. good luck

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Yeah Odin, that kinda does remind me of the Buzzard JD saw I used years ago.. TOTAL POS...

Currier
08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Anything JD that I have/currently own is a piece of junk. The bp 40 leaked fuel and was a monster to start from the day I brought it home. The jx 85 has been in the shop at least 7 times in the two years that I have owned it for problems with the transmission (i purchased it new). The jd handheld blower didn't even last one season. It did get a new carb. a month ago, it now sits by the dumpster waiting to be hauled away.

For the $$ they ask. JD, in my opinion, is not worth it. The stihl stuff is running strong and doing great.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Actually, the only JD thing I ever did own that I didn't hate was an RX 75 rear engine rider... Did me pretty good when I was a kid...

dvmcmrhp52
08-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
I think they turned 13, 000 rpm..No joke, and my Shin was smoooth. Too bad a turd stole it from me!!! [/B]

13,000 rpm...............Mannnnn, That's cranking.
That's why stihl backpacks and such will last a long time, they don't run them at high rpm's.

Wish I could juice it up just a bit though.............

jeffh1988
08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
In my opinion both JD and Stihl have their place on my trailer. I have a new JD trimmer a Brand new Stihl KM110 and a Stihl 85R. I love the JD when i have really light trimming because it is light and easy to start but for really heavy stuff you can't beat the KM110. It has great torque and won't bog down. I would probably go with Stihl for your every day trimmer.

printer88
08-12-2004, 11:01 PM
I love Husqvarna.They are very dependable.Super easy to start and have Kawasaki engines...just a thought.

hardtail70
08-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I loved my sthil FS80 untill someone stole it. it was a year old and always started on the second pull. I have been on here all evening because I am debating what to buy to replace it and keep coming back to a sthil either the 80 or 85