PDA

View Full Version : New Lazer XS vs. Kubota ZD-28

joshetal
08-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Greetings knowledgeable pros. I probably should post this in the homeowners forum but I'd really like some input from everyone with experience with the Kubota. I'm a farmowner and we cut about 12 acres of pasture and and around the house and buildings about 25 times a year. We've put about 120 hours a year on our big Kubota with a 6ft finish mower and we know we can cut down the mowing time dramatically. We have off road diesel in a 100 gal tank so the Bota seems logical, but In my 2 months of pouring over the details, something about that transmission doesn't seem as durable as the engine. Now the Briggs big block twin is coming on line and I'm really tempted. We'll be going with a 72" deck for sure and not beating the machine nor will it be trailered. With that few hours, would you trust the Briggs to go along with what I assume must be an awsome frame and deck (same as the XP right?) Thing is, Kubota's 36 month zero interest will be ending August 31, before I can demo the Exmark. Gentlemen, your thoughts are most appreciated.

woodworker41
08-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Well I guess what ever works better for you. I love my kubota 60" 21hp Diesel.

I however only have about 6 acres to mow. It does that with no problem at all. if you can get off road Diesel, then I would go with the kubota 28 hp 72"

Thats my opinion. Also your right about the financing. Thats something to consider.

DAN

joshetal
08-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks Dan! I read a complaint on complaint.com that the zd hydros wouldn't provide enough torque to turn the machine on hills. Ever experienced this? Josh

joshetal
08-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Here's that link: the site is actually complaint station.com http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi/Forum/Subtopic/TopicID=0408/SubtopicID=00050370/firstrecord=0/finalrecord=14/

bikelawn
08-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I have a zd28 and had a toro z150 before it, the toro is a exmark chasis with a toro deck, and the zd has more wheel torque and is much better at holding a hill than the toro. The other benefit of the zd is the shaft drive dosen't have the annoying belt wine the toro always had. I use my zd to cut several commercial propertied, my home and 6 acres of tough weeds and grass at a lake house and it is head and shoulders above the toro on the tough stuff I have never bogged it down even when taking 6 inches off with a full width cut. Try one out I think you will agree.

littlenic
08-12-2004, 06:50 PM
What is a Lazer XS?

dvmcmrhp52
08-12-2004, 07:19 PM
The lazer xs is a great machine, we're considering one for next year.

Although I am a staunch exmark guy,If you've got a kubota tractor doesn't it make more sense to just use that and maintain it for other uses around the farm as well?
The XS...........
The frame, caster wheel brackets,caster wheels and hydros are all larger than the standard lazer. Awsome as you say.............LOL!
The XS also has cooling fans on the pumps.
As for the briggs..........briggs has come a long way,If exmark didn't think the briggs was up to the task they certainly would not take the risk on a new machine like this with it's potential for terrific sales. It truly is a fine machine............

specialtylc
08-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I have a ZD21 that just hit the 1000 hr mark. It will mow as well as any mower out there. I tested a Lazer 2 years ago for 3 weeks and it has nothing over a Kubota. I think the Kubota ZD transmission and engine is a step way above the other brands. No belts,idler pulleys and all that other crap.