PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil on 61" Super Surfer

promower
08-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Am I missing something, there has got to be an easier way. The oil drain is nearly impossible to get to, not mention you need a much longer tube then the one given to you with the machine. Anyone else dreading changing oil on the SS?

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Yep, welcome to the club... I seriously wanted to beat the guy that rigged that setup too, the first time I changed mine! Unfortunatly, It looks like the only real solution is to remove/ loosen the bolts holding the engine on, and rotating the drain valve to face down.. Or better yet, remove it and replace it with a plug... The filter aint too fun either... Messy messy messy...

beransfixitinc
08-11-2004, 11:59 PM
As we decided to go with Exmark and not the Danes (for now), I'm not sure of the configuration of which you speak. What engine is on these? Is it a Kawi? Perhaps you could get a twist and drain like are coming on some newer B&S powered equipment from Craftsman and I think I have seen one on Snapper also. It is black in color and replaces your oil plug. When it comes time to drain the oil, you slip a hose on, and give it a little twist (with your hand) and the oil drains. When it's done, just push in and latch to stop the flow. Really, from a service shop side of it, I'd love it if all new engines came with something like this.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Beran, mine has aKohler 22.. it's got a little vale on the side of the engine that faces forward, toward the deck. Not only is it an ultra PITA to get to, it has like a knurled surface on it, I had to use a pair of channelocks to turn the thing, and it took like 20 turns to open it all the way, moving the pliers about an inch at a time!!!! Please, please, please post a pic of what you talking about, and where you get it.. It took me like 45 minutes of intense aggro to change the oil on mine, and I was Turbo pissed afterwards...

If, your ever unfortunate enough to do an oil change on one.. This is how you'll feel.....Hopping mad:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

beransfixitinc
08-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Well, if you were closer to Taylor, I could order em for you. But since you are very far away, you could try greenshoes.com.

Here is a direct link to what I am talking about on their site.

Found it AFTER I tore the stinking page out of our Oregon parts book to scan it.

http://greenshoes.com/search.php?PHPSESSID=bfc742d1dc5a11b53a099b82e3824337&kw=45-118

$10 oughta be a minimal price to pay for something that'll make a job you fellas have to do fairly often alot easier.

They don't give much info on greenshoes. Following is the info from the Oregon book.

"Replaces Tecumseh #37651, Kohler # 27-755-14S.
Oil drain valve with protective dust cap. Adapts to most engines 8 HP and larger, 3-8-18 NPTF thread. Connect 1/2" ID hose-to-outlet."

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Thanks, Beran, will do... Too bad I still gotta lift the motor up to remove the junky old valve...

burnandreturn
08-12-2004, 08:58 AM
OIl changes suck on mowers, that's why I put a pre-lube system on mine. All I have to do is connect a quick disconnect hose to the fitting on the SIDE of the motor and put the end of the hose in a bucket. Flip a switch and the oil gets pumped out in about one minute. I also installed a remote oil filter so my oil filter hangs straight down. Takes about a total of 3 to 4 minutes to do a complete oil change. All so I can pump up my oil pressure before I start my engines. No dry starts. Not gloating here, just there are alternatives to a bad job. I change my oil every 25 hours so I HAD to have a better way.

promower
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
LOL txlawnking about turning the drain an inch at a time. I took the back plate off mine, and used a needle nose to turn drain, for now it does the trick but what a pain.

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Burn and return.. I wanna see pix... Sounds super cool.. Pro mower, thats the procedure.. What a Joke... I almost want to never change the oil, so the feeble 22 hp Kohler will blow up and give me a good excuse to swap on a 27hp Kohler....