PDA

View Full Version : florida double hurricane?

odin
08-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I was just readi ng yahoo news ...you guys might for the first time since 1906 get hit with double hurricanes.

Single or double good luck hope none of you or your familiy members get hurt.

qualitylandscaping
08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I was listening to the worktunes tonight while mowing.. Heard Flordia is under a state of emergency already..

Best of luck to you guys:)

lawnman_scott
08-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Bonnie is not supposed to be that strong. Charley is the big one. I have been here since 95 and have not seen anything wo worry about. They always miss our area, but are saying it will be hitting. I will beleive it when I see it.

KCON1
08-11-2004, 10:37 PM
well good luck down there in Florida. Cause I've seen my share of these things in the last 28 years. If ones coming it always seems to find its way here to cape fear region of NC. ODD isn't it

EastProLawn
08-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I have family in Oviedo, just outside of Orlando, hope everything turns out o.k. God willing............

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Ruh Roh.... Florida and floridans?? will be in my prayers tonight.

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Not to make light of a serious situation but as I heard the news all day I could not help thinking that the "Name givers" should have picked Clyde as the "C" storm.

Good luck riding it out and prayers are going out.

Richard Martin
08-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Good luck to everybody in their path. Here in Maryland we just went through Hurricane Isabel. Izzy surged our tides in excess of 9 feet above normal. We lost a lot of waterfront homes due to it.

Now they say that we will get a double whammy in that both storms are currently forecast to go right over us. The first storm will bring in excess of 4 inches of rain on Friday. The second storm will show up Saturday night and no doubt lead to massive inland flooding.

BTW, I am preparing for these storms. In addition to all of my regular accounts yesterday I also did my biggest account. It is normally done on Thursday. Now all I have to do is my smaller Thursday's and Friday's accounts today (Thursday). We'll see how it goes.

birdmann
08-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Bonnie is not supposed to be that strong. Charley is the big one. I have been here since 95 and have not seen anything wo worry about. They always miss our area, but are saying it will be hitting. I will beleive it when I see it.

Fortunately these 2 storms are babies , as far as tropical storms go anyway ..I haved lived in S.Fla since 79 ...Andrew was a REAL good one , That storm kicked the heck out of us down here ....

Thank for the prayers everyone ...

On a brighter note ..THere will be a little $ to be made cleaning
up all the knocked over trees ...

Ric
08-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Charlie

I know your planing a visit friday morning to my house. Please try and by pass me this time around. Your sister Donna came to visit back in 1961 and I still remember her well.

GeeVee
08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I'll be the first one in, in an impacted area. Part of this job to assess damage and do the windshield surveys and make recommendations to my department.

My laptop and cell phone will connect me to the network, and reports will fly. I seem to be the one they want to go, everytime. I don't mind.

If I am headed your way Ric, I will give you a call. Perhaps you would PM me a cell number incase you are in the field. If I am in your area supplimenting the other area engineer that normally covers your area, I'll ring you. Would likely be there at least three days for minor damage and more if the situation warrants.

twindiddy
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
yeah, good luck guys. batten down the hatches.

ric, i thought donna hit in '60? wasn't she the last one to hit orlando?

anyway, good luck, again.

Fantasy Lawns
08-12-2004, 02:37 PM
we'll be cutting with "double time" Friday ... still got bout 65 to go ... luv this weather for the most part as it has been all day .... nice steady breeze ... grey overcast n some showers ever now n then

gonna make for an inside weekend

DennisF
08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Over hear in Citrus County just north of Tampa we're getting ready for Charley. I live 10 miles inland from the gulf coast and I don't think flodding will be a problem here, but the winds will be a big concern. Charley is forecast to be a category 3 storm by the time it makes landfall on the gulf coast. That means winds 110-130 mph. Bad news for sure.

chipk1
08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I live in Tampa about 25 miles inland. Just heard that charley will be a cat 3 storm at landfall right where I am at. Always wanted to experience a hurricane but this one is looking kinda scarey!

CapnDean
08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Hurricane Camille 1969
Fredrick 1975?
Elena in late 70's early 80's
George in 1998

My suggestion for Cat III... Unless you are on the water or in a low lying area.... Fill up on clean drinking water!
I wouldn't run from anything less than Cat IV....and I live right on the Gulf Coast of MS.

Cat IV and V? I'm outta here. I remember Camille and her 225 mph winds and I will NEVER do that again!

chipk1
08-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I remember Elena, 1985 hung just off tampa bay about 2 days then turned north. that was only cat 1 though.

GeeVee
08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
David 1976..........

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Good luck down there guys. Looks more and more like this will be a good size storm and we went you all to be safe.

Fantasy Lawns
08-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I remeber Camille also .... my dad was stationed at the Navy hospital in Key West at the time .... thank God the bulk of that storm past us but lots of wind .... been thru a few thru the 60-70's in the Key's .... always thankful I move to Cocoa Beach before Andrew came thru

Ric
08-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by twindiddy
yeah, good luck guys. batten down the hatches.

ric, i thought donna hit in '60? wasn't she the last one to hit orlando?

anyway, good luck, again.

Twindiddy

your right it was 1960 that Donna came to visit and she made sure to see everyone. She first visited Miami and took alligator alley to Naples. She then went fishing and gained a lot of strength. She came to my town but emptied the harbor so there was no flood damage. She then went to Orlando and Daytona and then to sea again. She made land fall once again in or near New York? I forget. Yes I am starting to lose my mind and was thinking it was 1961. I was 20 years old in 1960 and was traveling with the Ringing Brother Circus as an acrobat at the time until I was drafted. I hurt my back and came home to rest at the time. Donna took the roof off My Dad's house and the garage door scraped back and forward over my Mom's brand new T bird convertible for 14 hours. The Eye was just 2 miles south of us but we never had a let up in the winds. Our Canal was totally dry and I am told so was the harbor.

Yes three weeks we has no electric and had to boil drinking water. I never went to the South Miami area to see Andrew's results but I did see Camile's results in Mississippi and can tell you first hand Hurricanes are not nice. Please add me in your prays tonight.

PS. GeeVee I will PM you my cell number it ends in 2222 and the exchange is also a easy one, so you will never for get it. My land lines are also an easy ones 2687 spells ANTS and I have two exchanges with that number. You would never guess I am in the pesticide business also.

KCON1
08-12-2004, 08:09 PM
bertha and fran back in 96 tore us up bad
Floyd back in 99 dumped up to twenty inches of rain not as much wind damage as Fran though

we are already getting rain off of Bonnie up here

sure will be prayin for you fellas in Florida so good luck and batten down the Hatches

Ric
08-12-2004, 08:38 PM
I just looked on the calendar and noticed Friday is the 13th of the month. Yes I hate Friday the 13th and have had a lot of bad luck on that day.

Martino
08-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Ric
I just looked on the calendar and noticed Friday is the 13th of the month. Yes I hate Friday the 13th and have had a lot of bad luck on that day.

Ric:

Just called down to Sarasota today they said that they were expecting Charley to come ashore around there in the AM on Friday. Be safe.......fill us in on the aftermath.

BW4486
08-12-2004, 08:59 PM
We had to cut today short do to rain from Bonnie and they are saying we will get 7 to 10" more tommorow

chipk1
08-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ric
I just looked on the calendar and noticed Friday is the 13th of the month.

OHHHHH NOOOOO!

lawnman_scott
08-13-2004, 03:11 AM
they always say we will get hit, but we never do. I think this is the "big one" we have been dodging. I boarded up the windows tonight, outside cutting plywood till 2 am.

Ric
08-13-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Martino
Ric:

Just called down to Sarasota today they said that they were expecting Charley to come ashore around there in the AM on Friday. Be safe.......fill us in on the aftermath.

Martino

I am south of Sarasota and the TV just announced 5:00 am update. Charley has increased wind speed to 110 just under category 3 and increased ground speed to 18 mph. But the good news is he is moving to the west and the eye may not touch land until north of Tampa. That good news to me, but bad news for north Florida that is been hit by a hurricane yesterday.

We are still expecting a 10 to 13 ft storm surge. BTW many homes in this area are at 5 ft above sea level. I am at 10.5

sawman65
08-13-2004, 06:39 AM
i rode andrew out in miami live in tn. now nice place to visit.
though.

rtyus
08-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Bonnie was projected to pass right over us but went a little further east and we didn't even get any rain out of it. Opal was the last one to hit here '95. She came in between Panama City and Destin, which put us in the NE quadrant. They are pretty amazing to experience but one is enough. You don't ever care to see one again. Four of the five strongest hurricanes on record have hit the state of Florida.

Mr_Marc
08-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Thank you everyone for thinking of us.

07:54 AM
Morning update I guess it's the calm before the storm but is is sunny and a beautiful morning, a little clouds to the south and west of my location.

Good luck to everyone in the storms path.

BW4486
08-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Last night we actually had a Tornado come through( From Bonnie) not too far from us and charley's supposed to pass directly over us tonight about 8:00

Ric
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Just wanted to bragg about how lucky I am. Charley is coming to visit and I expect to serve him my lunch. He should be here very soon, his advance man is already knocking on my door.

Ric
08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Martino

I am south of Sarasota and the TV just announced 5:00 am update. Charley has increased wind speed to 110 just under category 3 and increased ground speed to 18 mph. But the good news is he is moving to the west and the eye may not touch land until north of Tampa. That good news to me, but bad news for north Florida that is been hit by a hurricane yesterday.

We are still expecting a 10 to 13 ft storm surge. BTW many homes in this area are at 5 ft above sea level. I am at 10.5

Good News.

Charley is now Category 4 and storm surge is expected at 18 ft. BTW Charley has RSVP my invitation for Lunch.

odin
08-13-2004, 04:16 PM
i just heard 145 winds and they are expecting 15 billion in damage

Ric
08-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by odin
i just heard 145 winds and they are expecting 15 billion in damage

Odin

Charley is coming to dinner at my house and he is already knocking on my door. Look on the link I provided above and you will see the Yellow part around the eye is just about to my house now.

gml9
08-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Survived Isabel last year...went 11 days without power. I'm in VA and we got hit hard....good luck to you....get those chainsaws sharpened and ready to roll....made lots of dough trimming downed trees for months afterwards.

GeeVee
08-13-2004, 05:13 PM
5pm Here.

Ric is getting hit from the other side by now.

I just got off the phone with my boss getting the emerg declaration ready.

I will probably windshield survey half of my area tommorrow, and Sunday.

Monday I will likely be at Ric's house?

Ric, PM me your phone(s), directions, and such and when I know something I will be in touch.

I am mildly freaking out, a tornadao apparently has went through my new acreage.......... with the little bit I cleared, those remaining trees (around the cleared area )have lost their buffer..

GeeVee
08-13-2004, 05:24 PM
The eye of David went over the home I was staying in.

One weird happening, for sure.

I was a kid, three families in this large-ish house. Evening time. I'm sure the adults were having cocktails and watching the tv. (Three whole channels, for you Cable generation kiddies)

The storm was windy and real rainy-

Then abrupt silence. And no rain. We went outside to look and there was a light breeze, and tons of water flooding the streets in this early PUD. No more than ten minutes and the wind resumed with no warning.

The silence of the eye passing was unbelieveable compared to the constant howl of wind and rain.

I doubt I'll forget that.

GL everyone

Mr_Marc
08-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Just Reality Check

Are you guy's & girls In my home state OK?

Please Check in.