PDA

View Full Version : what goes through your head all day?

BSDeality
08-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Last week i had a customer ask me why i didn't wear ear protection, i said "WHAAAAT???" as i pulled the mini foam plug from my ear.

He asked me what i do all day while i ride around on the machine and asked if i ever listened to music to make the day go faster.

I told him i used to run a fm radio but i got tired of listening to the same 2 radio stations. I told him now i just use the time to think about stuff all day. The problem is its usually the same 2-3 thoughts and the last song i heard on the radio gets stuck in my head ALLLL day.

Has anyone put a FM broadcaster in their truck to broadcast to worktunes? or a similar setup. I have an MP3 player, but i always forget to change the music on it before i go out.

SouthernFried
08-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Occassionally I listen to music...but, mostly it's AM talk radio. Got a great headphone set, and it gets local stations pretty clearly. I just find talk radio a little more interesting than music most of the time...more variety. It can get stupid sometimes, but, it keeps my mind occupied.

I've tried cassette, and then later, disk players...but the setup is usually too cumbersome and gets in the way.

If I don't have my headphones, I just look into bedroom windows.

Remsen1
08-12-2004, 11:46 AM
when i'm in the field it is my time to not have to think about anything accept the task that I am doing. it's theraputic in that I get to push everything to the side and just focus on the work. usually i have a tune stuck in my head and that is what i think about the whole time.

BSDeality
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
i wish i had more ground level bedroom windows :-D

i just dug out my mp3 player this morning after i posted this thread cause i'm waiting for the weather to clear. Now i just gotta find my peltors that i stuck the headphones into...

anyone happen to know the range on those FM broadcasters? I figure i'll need as much as 300' for some properties

l1011100
08-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm with you SothernFried, I bought a Peltor radio headset and it works great, keeps the noise out and gets pretty good reception. I mostly listen to talk radio since radio stations play the same songs over and over all day long. It also helps you to know when that thunder storm is getting closer, you get static every time there's a strike. Here is a link to the headset at northern tool. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=200223574

tx_angler
08-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Check in the Lawn & Garden section of your local WalMart - mine has Worktunes to ~ $50

furball3
08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I get a headache as soon as I put on over the head head phones. so I listen to a radio with in ear buds. Its a cheapie radio from Target but it gets in a lot of FM stations pretty good. The ear buds do a fairly good job of cutting out the noise. I dont turn it up loud, just enough to pick up on tunes. Then I zone out.

Wells
08-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Whats running through my head.....(BUSINESS)

I'm always thinking of ways to increase business, expand business, start new businesses, acquire existing businesses.

More business equals more money and more money equals the purchasing power to create more businesses to make even more money.

RedRock
08-12-2004, 02:44 PM
What's running through my head?......What will be BobbyGedd 's next post be about!

Trevors Lawn Care
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
i wish i had more ground level bedroom windows :-D

i just dug out my mp3 player this morning after i posted this thread cause i'm waiting for the weather to clear. Now i just gotta find my peltors that i stuck the headphones into...

anyone happen to know the range on those FM broadcasters? I figure i'll need as much as 300' for some properties

nope..

They will maybe transmit 30 feet tops. At least the 1 at radio shack

trevor

gogetter
08-12-2004, 04:33 PM
"Holy crap it's hot".:help:

Littleriver1
08-12-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking, "Where am I ever, going to find a truck big enough to carry, all this money to the bank?"

bobbygedd
08-12-2004, 04:51 PM
my thoughts, " if she thinks she's getting away with not paying the bill, she's nuts. she better be there when i get there, or i aint mowing. i know, i'll confiscate her dog, and not return him till i'm paid in full + late fees. or maybe her husband will be there, i'll tie him to that big tree in front of the house, with a little sign next to him that reads " when you stiff bobby, this is what happens." "

wriken
08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
my thoughts are how can i make my sprint sled faster.

T Edwards
08-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately today the last song I heard was "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies and it ran a continuous loop thru my brain until the lightning bolt and thunderclap jerked me out of it. Thank goodness for hurricane season....

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
my thoughts, " if she thinks she's getting away with not paying the bill, she's nuts. she better be there when i get there, or i aint mowing. i know, i'll confiscate her dog, and not return him till i'm paid in full + late fees. or maybe her husband will be there, i'll tie him to that big tree in front of the house, with a little sign next to him that reads " when you stiff bobby, this is what happens." "

Priceless...:D :D Another bobby classic....ROTF

Seriously though, I try to focus my thoughts on the Lord... Makes my day much more peaceful.... Sometimes I Think about how glad I am that I ain't turnin' wrenches... Or listening to co-workers gripe about..everything from politics to their last blackout from drinking.....

qualitylandscaping
08-12-2004, 06:34 PM
most days I listen to the work tunes..

good days I listen to the work tunes, dream about my gf, and think about what I'm going to spend my money on next..

and on ok/bad days I listen to the work tunes, and think about what my girlfriend is going to ask me to buy her next..;)

PMLAWN
08-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Do you mean I should be thinking when I work???

Eric 1
08-12-2004, 07:13 PM
All the equipment i want, and other things...................

grassyfras
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
I just kind of zone out and all of a sudden im done. That ADD really kicks in I guess.

DennisF
08-12-2004, 07:47 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's what I'm thinking about.

tiedeman
08-12-2004, 07:52 PM
what I think about all the time is whether I am on schedule or behind schedule.

Jozgators
08-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Use an mp3 player with 40 gig it is set to random play so I get a variety of music. But still think about the business regardless to what I am listening to.

Ursushorribilus
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
When I was years younger I thought about women all day long - my girlfriend, my buddy's girlfriend, etc., etc. Then I got a little older, though not much wiser, and I thought of ways to make money - but all I wanted to do with the money was spend it on the "girlfriend(s)". A little older still, less concerned about money instead of quality of life, thinking about vitamins, food, how much I'm gonna bench press that night, the meaning of life, why I'm on the planet, and why can't we all get along.

Fast forward to the present, and I'm thinking about girlfriends: mine, the guy's across the street, etc., and how much money I can spend on them... Maybe I found the meaning of life 25 years ago...:)

bottlefed89
08-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Girls, money, music. Mostly in that order.

SunSwept
08-12-2004, 10:31 PM
OK, so I admit that I get a little crazy. I record a lot of stuff to listen to during the day and I use either a digital voice recorder or tape. I most always record too much.

Music begins to bore me far too soon. Talk radio has it's moments but some of it is a little over the top. Must remember that the shock-jock will say whatever will get the ratings!

I have an XM radio and a Kenwood cassette recorder with relay-recording that I paid about #35 for on EBay. It can record for up to 4 hours on two tapes ... normal speed. Sometimes I record Old-Time radio. I particularly like the detective series such as Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade. Sometimes I record "Coast to Coast AM" (I check the internet for show schedules). Sometimes I record NPR programming.

If I listen to radio then I prefer FM radio to AM ONLY because I lose AM signals from time to time because AM is so directional and the turns on the mower tend cause signal loss.

And I prefer to use ear buds inside of my hearing protection. Just a personal preference.

lqmustang
08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I think about all the things I could buy with the money I'm making if my wife would quit spending it all.

Avery
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
I think about business. How I am lacking and how I can improve. What needs to be done on the next job. Look around and monitor my guys to make sure they are doing a good job. And most importantly I think about what I am doing and try to do it to the best of my ability. IMO listening to music distracts you from the things you should be thinking about.

advantagelawn
08-12-2004, 11:33 PM
we make fun of people that wear Peltor Worktunes around here, look like a big goof. Just throw some foam plugs in your ears and stripe it up. I have all day to think to myself, maybe thats why I'm crazy.

odin
08-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Ithink about getting home to my wife and daughters...ponder the mysteries of life like if i'll ever be able to bench a 1000 lbs ...is the world really round....did dinosaur's really exsist......will i need a BAR when my daughters get dateing age to send a message to their prospective suitors .....will my son die in some rat hole foreign desert ..

Royalslover
08-13-2004, 12:39 AM
My friends refer to me as the guy who's alone too much beause I'm always asking deep questions. Do any of you guys listen to cd's while mowing. I listen to the radio all day and have been thinking about buying a cd player so I can listen to audio books while I mow.

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-13-2004, 01:05 AM
i think about beer, fishing- lots of thinking about fishing, and the coast, and my favorite spot to fish, wow, anyways, and hunting, and shooting that 8pointer that is now probably a big 8 or good 10, how my boss's sister is hot, and how he runs his buisness sooooo wrong, but then i start thinking about why i am working for him and it comes down to the fact that i think too much about it, and thats when i start concentrating and thinking about new designs to make while mowing, or if i can trim the exact hight of the mower with out having the already cut grass as a "ruler" of sorts... yeah, and stuff like that. when i'm trimming trees, i think about how all the mexicans get paid more than me and all they do is climb trees and just take their time... damn them

Itsgottobegreen
08-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Well I would think about all types of things. Like my life, my business, things to build, girlfriend, etc. The thinking calmed my nerves. But I did find myself starting to talk to myself. (just ask some of my customers). So I went and bought a set of Peltor work tunes. So now I sing to the songs. (or that what the customers think LOL) But I do find myself changing the channels every 5 mins, I hate commercials. I wish Sirius would make a head phone set of the their satellite radio. I got one in the truck and house at it worth every penny spent.

Mowin Mac
08-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Did I remember to turn the coffee pot off?
Is there enough Bud in the fridge or do I need to get another six on the way home?
Why in the world does that last stripe have a big belly in the middle?
Who was the idiot that invented trampolenes?
Shoot! I forgot to mow someone today, who was it?
Ya know, if I could knock off another half inch of overlap on the next pass, I would be done a lot quicker. (LOL never works)
Damn buckhorns.
Whoops, a little bit of turf tar on that last turn.
I might be the luckiest guy in town, I get to be outside, doing something that I enjoy, working for myself.
Life is good.

Acute Cut
08-13-2004, 01:38 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80295

Look for the first picture you come to. I really cant remember anything past that then i am done.

Mr. Magpie
08-13-2004, 02:23 AM
My mind is on the work I am currently doing. What I should be thinking about is all the things I've got going on in my life. But whenever I start doing that, I screw something up on the lawn or forget something. I wish I could use worktime to accomplish thinking but I can't..... o well.

PMLAWN
08-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks a lot Acute----Now my mind will never be on grass again!