PDA

View Full Version : Discharge chute blocker

Roger
08-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Leaf season is coming and I want to have an easier way to block the discharge chute on my w/b mower. The last couple of years, I've used Gators during leaf season, mowing through the leaves a couple of times in discharge mode. But, a better scheme was to block the chute, mow through once or twice, then spread out the mulched leaves in a final pass in discharge mode. I want a quicker way to block the chute.

I have an Exmark 36" w/b Viking (fixed deck), 15hp Kohler, hydro drive.

I realize one way is to put on a bagger, letting it fill, and just keep going. Some of the properties do require a final pass with bagger to pick up the mulched leaves, but other properties don't need the mulched leaves to be picked up and taken away. I don't always carry my Gobbler for bagging. The last seasons I have bolted a plate across the discharge opening, but bolting takes time and tools.

I have done a search and find many threads on OCDC. The typical application is to close off the chute to keep grass clippings out of beds. I don't need a easy open/close, just something to slip on/off easily. For bagging, I use either a Gobbler, or a cloth bagger. Usually I use Gobbler, so the bracket is always attached.

I've thought of some device that uses the Gobbler bracket, a pin in the front and something to drop into the slot at the rear of the bracket, with a plate that covers the dicharge chute. The other option might be to make something to use the cloth bagger backing plate connection scheme -- a pin to drop into the tube at the rear, and a pin to attach to the front (held in place with a cotter pin), just like the backer plate. I suppose I could take my backer plate and bolt something over the opening, but I don't want to carry the backer plate with me on the trailer.

I see nothing mentioned any other thread, nor have I seen any product in a catalog that meets my request.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Roger

PaulJ
08-13-2004, 12:20 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55154&highlight=ocdc

here's a quick cheap ideea for you.

dwost
08-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Rookiemower started this and is building a very nice setup. I also posted on here with my variation which has been in use for this season and works beautifully. Good luck and post some pics of your creation!! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71593&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

Meg-Mo
08-13-2004, 10:26 AM
I will have some pic. tue or wed next week of a new OCDC.

Tharrell
08-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Your idea of a blocker that will fit in the current bagger holes will work. I saw one last year like that. It would mount 2 ways. To block, you take it off and turn it upside down. To discharge, do the exact same thing. It was designed to be simple and quick. It was homemade so you'll have to do your own. I think this particular one had a mount welded to the deck but, you could probably utilize the existing mounts.