PDA

View Full Version : Great tip for your Exmark Hydro walkbehind.

CharlieBingo
08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
I've gotten so many great tips from Lawnsite, why not give back? I recently changed all four tires on my "60"in Turf Tracer and upgraded to the next size: from 16.5 rear tires to 18.5"s, (use blade spacers so not to rub hydro hoses) fronts from 3.50 to 4.10"s. Ground speed is faster and the ride is much smoother also seems to go better with the sulky. Obviously it cuts hgher so adjust cut height accordingly.

geogunn
08-12-2004, 02:11 PM
thanks for the tip.

why is the "ride" of a walkbehind any concern?

GEO :confused:

jbell113
08-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
thanks for the tip.

why is the "ride" of a walkbehind any concern?

GEO :confused: I would say its a concern when you have some rough terrain like props that dont have turf everywhere. I have a few that are very rough so maybe larger tires would help smooth out the ride.

geogunn
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jbell113
I would say its a concern when you have some rough terrain like props that dont have turf everywhere. I have a few that are very rough so maybe larger tires would help smooth out the ride.

I suppose my point in asking is that there is no "ride" to a walkbehind.

charlieb rides a sulkie but the sulkie isn't sprung off of the walkbehind.

GEO :)

Turf Medic
08-12-2004, 04:49 PM

Probably referring to the movement of the machine across the grass. The movement is smoother, thus giving a more even cut, less bouncing, less jerking and moving your arms and hands around.

So instead of the ride being smoother, he should have said the that his movement is now smoother. :D

CharlieBingo
08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
I could not explain what I meant by a "smoother ride" better. Thanks!

Turf Medic
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Nothing better than a smooth movement. :D

John Gamba
08-12-2004, 07:56 PM

Geo
Its the difference between holding on to Paris Hilton's pig tails compared to holding on to a bucking broncos horns. Its all in the feel of the grips.

John:D

prizeprop
08-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Another solution we have found to help is letting some air out of the front tires. This helps reduce the front end from bouncing off the ground, especially when travelling over roots and rough terrain.

locutus
08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Geo
Its the difference between holding on to Paris Hilton's pig tails compared to holding on to a bucking broncos horns. Its all in the feel of the grips.

John:D A more appropriate analogy could not be found. LOL.

wriken
08-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Geo

you took the words right out of my mouth.:)

xcopterdoc
08-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Never seen a horse with horns.. bucking bronco with horns eh? very unique!

SouthernFried
08-12-2004, 08:56 PM
I was gonna let the Northerner's slide on that one...they seemed to be having so much fun with it.

Itsgottobegreen
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
The guy I get my landscape sluppies did that to his 61" fix deck Scags walkbehinds. He cut the wheel motor mounts and rewelded them so he could mount bigger tires to them. Shame I didn't get a picture of it, he sold off all his mower equipment last year. He claimed they cut much nicers and had better traction.

PaulJ
08-12-2004, 11:46 PM
the hustler walkbehinds come stock with bigger tires.

18"x8" or 20"x10" rear and 11"x4" front

Acute Cut
08-12-2004, 11:55 PM
you know, i think us northerners would have caught the broncho slip, but we were thinking of.......... how exactly we were holding paris hiltons pig tails.:D

But you focused on the broncho? Tell me, are there such things as good looking and ugly sheep where you come from?:eek: (jk)

Fareway Lawncare
08-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Don't Forget Wider Drive Tires Reduce Trimability....

geogunn
08-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Geo

well john--now I am very interested and glad I asked!

perhaps tomorrow I will propose to the spousal-unit that we figure a way to get her "tires" made BIGGER!!!

GEO :D

MikeLT1Z28
08-13-2004, 03:10 AM
i'd rather have the bronco... her and her skank friend are just nasty.

PaulJ
08-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Don't Forget Wider Drive Tires Reduce Trimability....

Not really if you know how to drive.