PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Topsoil for lawn?

Morley
08-12-2004, 01:10 PM
I just had my front yard torn up by a backhoe because I needed to fix the
grading (slope)
to make the water go away from my house.
I now need to have a dumptruck come over this weekend and drop off a load of
topsoil
so that I can spread it out and prep it for the grass seeds.

I have never done this type of thing before so I am looking for some advice?

This is what I think I should be doing:

1.) Dump truck drops off load of topsoil in front yard.
2.) Take the rake and go to town, spread it evenly so that it is aprox 3-4"
thickness everywhere.

Then I don't know if I need to use a lawn roller to flatten the topsoil
before I lay the grass seeds.
Or do I spread the grass seeds and then use a roller to flatten the soil?
I tried google and didn't really find anything relevant to my questions.
Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

TClawn
08-12-2004, 02:00 PM
I really haven't done any seeding but this is how I've seen people do it.
1. after top soil is spread walk over it with a roller to flatten the ground. 2. lay down seed and rake it in (make sure it's not raked any deeper than 1/4 inch.) 3. water the seed in.

NickN
08-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Use the roller to firm up your seed base.Then after spreading your seed,go back over the soil with the roller to push the seed down.You won't need as much weight in the roller for pushing in the seed.Cover your seed bed with straw and check it in two weeks for any sprouts of grass.Of course,water,water,water.

T Edwards
08-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Slip the truck driver a 20 and he will shake the bed all over the yard instead of dumping 1 big pile. You'll be glad you did.

Geoffrey
08-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I second that, T Edwards is speaking or in this case writing the truth!

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Fer sure^^^^ If your lawn is big enough to warrant it, you might consider renting a tractor with a box blade to spread the dirt...Raking sux...

CapnDean
08-12-2004, 05:29 PM
I third the "spread as you dump deal"

Depending on how many yards of dirt you buy. A small dump truck 8-10 yards or a trailer which can hold up to 26 yards...

DEFINITELY borrow a box blade.... I'd loan you mine if you were nearby. 8 yards of dirt would take me 10 minutes to spread with my Ford 3000 - - 26 yards less than an hour (about 5 gallons of diesel)

I think you get the picture...you can kill your back for 3 days...or spread it with a blade in 30 minutes.

Another low budget solution: Use your ztr or whatever you have to drag a wooden pallet. You may need to drop a cinder block or two on it.

a couple of ropes and somebody to tend it.....

SouthernFried
08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Wise words from everyone.

One huge pile of topsoil, whether it be 10 or 28 yards, is one of the lousier jobs out there to move with wheelbarrows, shovels and rakes.

Dump in several smaller piles (I've done the "slip driver a 20" numerous times), rent bobcat ...and spread and level in minutes instead of days.