PDA

View Full Version : backpack sprayer

locutus
08-12-2004, 08:31 PM
I need a new backpack sprayer. I'm thinking about either an Echo ms100 or a SP2. If anyone has these sprayers, I would appreciate some feedback.

KDJ
08-12-2004, 09:02 PM
SP2 www.northerntool.com

locutus
08-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by KDJ
SP2 www.northerntool.com Thanks for the link KDJ. I went to Northern today to look at this sprayer, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Dont want to make a mistake. Thats why I'm looking for some first-hand experience with these sprayers.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
08-12-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a couple Shindaiwa backpack sprayers, neither of them leak, never had problems with either. www.shindaiwa.com

KDJ
08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
The SP 4 gal 180 psi for 99.95 is money well spent. I am happy with mine.

CapnDean
08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
I have a solo 425HD Piston style (not diaphragm)

for the $90 I spent it sure keeps the weeds at bay.

Green Care
08-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Got a old echo gas sprayer works good.

geoscaper
08-12-2004, 10:47 PM
I always have a hard time pulling the trigger on one of these. I usually buy thE $20 roundup sprayers from Home Depot. It seems like I never get more than a month or two out of a sprayer before the nozzles get clogged.

Avery
08-12-2004, 10:52 PM
There was a time I would say SOLO. But the last three we have bought the seal has torn within a week. Ever since they went to the redish brown round seal they are crap. I have been trying to decide what brand to try next.

walker-talker
08-12-2004, 11:14 PM
My shin is 2 years old and still no problems SP15........i think.

BCSteel
08-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I dont know about the sp2 but I have 3 spo and they are all excellent. Even the original one that I bought 5 years ago is still going strong. No leaks, no repairs, just pure working pleasure. I havnt had a problem with leaks on any of my spo's. Come to think of it, those are probably the only pieces of equipment that I have never had to replace or repair.

AuburnGuy
08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I have the SP0 and SP2. I bought this year and so far have been great. The straps could stay on a little better, but other than that they work very well.

scweedman
08-13-2004, 12:31 PM
I have four shindawia sp415 and 1 solo ( Lesco).
The solo is junk compared to the shindawia don't
waste your money.

airtractrdrivr
08-13-2004, 10:25 PM
I've got two RL FlowMaster Pro's that I bought at Home Depot, and they work great. One is two years old, the other is 8 months. No problems from either one so far.

ArizPestWeed
08-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Please , no offense .
Flomaster , Solo , Shin are poor quality .

I used Solo for 2 years , 4 of them on my truck & they leaked .
I could make them stop leaking for 4 to 5 weeks with grease in the lids .
Finally , I sent them back to the factory and they sent me 4 new ones .
Samething , Leaks
Pesticides running down my back.
Tossed them in the trash.
Kept the wands cause I think they are the best .

Got the first 2 Ele Shurflo that got to Az.
Returned them 3 times .
I'm on # 7 & 8 , I think
I've lost track .
They leaked , too.
They redesigned them becouse of my problems .
I use them now .

While they were at the factory getten fixed , I got 3 SP 3s
I love them .
The best B/P I've had is the Echo MS 100 , I read here it's the same as the SP 3 .
Tanks are different , that's all , it seems ..

The bad news
I got 3 more 2 weeks ago and 2 of them leak from the lids .
I call the company in Calif. and talk to Robin , she says it's a bad batch, others have called about the samething
The third went to a friend who says it's OK as of now .

So, I'm sending 2 back and don't know what to do .

Tessmanseed in St Paul has the SP 3 for $120.00

They have a site

How do you post photos here ?
I want y'all to see my set up

GregoryR
08-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Birchmeier Backpack Sprayers
They are a bit pricey, but when you need them, they always work. Had mine for 2 years, never a leak, never any problem at all

ArizPestWeed
08-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Well
Let tell you ...................
They are very good .
The problem is

The handel does not fold up , it unscrews and easy to lose .
The tank is straight , does not conform to the curve of your back
The pump is on the outside .
The 4 gal I had , if you wanted to put 4 gals in it , it was all the way up to the top.
No room to ad 'cides

Lets face it , no one makes a worthy P/B for pesticides .
There's billions of dollars in the pesticides business and shiit for equipment

ArizPestWeed
08-14-2004, 02:24 AM
I would gladly pay $350.00 each for a B/P sprayer if it was quality .
I MEAN QUALITY !!!!!!!!!!!

GregoryR
08-14-2004, 09:47 AM
I dont mean to get snippy, but the question was 'what is a good backpack sprayer?' I took that to mean reliable, durable, functional. The Birchmeier Backpack Sprayers are all that. I havent lost the handle yet, and I generally mix the 'cides in before the tank is full anyway. 4 gallons of mixed spray fits in just fine. The pump being on the outside is a plus for me because I can grease the cylinder from the little cap on the outside. While I understand how the things you mentioned can be inconvenient, NOTHING is more inconvenient than a sprayer that fails to work, or leaks or anything other than what it is supposed to do. I have over the last 22 years in the biz tried all of the other sprayers mentioned here so far, none of them has lasted or performed better than the Birchmeier Backpack Sprayers. Just my opinion, the worst bakpacks I have tried are the electric ones, every brand. I hope I get a kickback from Birchmeier for this post.
Greg

airtractrdrivr
08-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Say what you want about the Flowmaster Pro's, but the two I own have given me zero problems, and they are getting used hard right now. I may be in the minority, but mine are fine, and work perfectly.

Tharrell
08-28-2004, 10:49 AM
I have the Echo 100, it's made by SP. Also, Northern Tool has the SP0 (I think that's the one) on sale for $99, says it will spray wettable powder and roundup.

BCSteel
08-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Yup, the sp0 will spray wettable powders. Ive put probably 200 tanks of wp through my sprayer as well as countless r-up and post em herbs and have had zero problems.

Rob Spread & Spray
08-28-2004, 11:38 AM
I have 3 Battery Pack SHurflo's.

They had a couple of leaks but nothing some fitting tape wont fix.

Lux Lawn
08-28-2004, 12:18 PM
I use the Lesco backpack sprayers.

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Any diaphram is OK for WP's

ArizPestWeed
08-30-2004, 11:31 PM
look here......................................................

locutus
08-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I wound up purchasing the SP2 from Northern on sale for $99.00. It's the one with the repairable external piston pump that developes 180psi. I dont use wettable powders so the SPO wasn't that appealing to me. One other question I'd like to have answered without having to post another thread would be; What type of cleaning procedure is adequate to avoid problems when switching from one mixture to another or do I need dedicated sprayers for different applications? Thanks in advance for all responces. BTW, going for my application license next month. Need to now all I can.

BCSteel
08-31-2004, 11:34 PM
I use nutra-sol to clean my sprayers. So far, so good. No cross contamination yet. Its specially made for cleaning herbicides I think.

HayBay
08-31-2004, 11:35 PM
There are cleaners out there, I haven't tried them.

There is the rinse 3 times way of cleaning. I just didn't like the idea of spraying a lawn after using roundup. Also Roundup type products eat away at Pump components faster I have read.

I bought
- 1 SP0 for Herbicide/Pesticide/Fertilizer.
- 1 SP0 for Roundup /Renegade.

Rinse 3 times way has been working for me.

ArizPestWeed
09-01-2004, 12:05 AM
I have a sp2 and a sp3
The 3 pumps much better and easier than the 2.
You'll never need the 180 psi

HayBay
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Bill, thanks for the redirect to this thread.

I am gonna pick up a SP3 to giver a try, they are cheaper too. You are right about the 180Psi I'll never need it. But I can flush the tank thru the nozzle pretty quick with that kind of PSI when cleaning.

ArizPestWeed
09-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I got 3 sp3s in today .
I'll let you know how they turn out .

thetemples
09-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Love this thing... wheels or back pack... Will run about 30 gals on a charge. Awesome stuff

http://www.rocketspray.com