PDA

View Full Version : tire changeing trick

pete
06-01-2000, 01:46 PM
After busting my balls trying to get on walkbehind tires my freind suggested this idea so i thought id pass it on. Its easy. If you havent already done so remove the pullies from the wheel. Put the tire in a vice, be sure to only clamp the flange not the bearings. Now push on the first side of the tire just useing brute force. NOw comes the trick. Take a pair of vice grips and clamp them on the rim so that the handle is parallel with the hole for axle. The vice grips will force the tire under them to where the bead seats. Next spray with some lube or soapy water. Spin the tire so that the vice grips force the tire down. It is easy with 2 people. Presto you turn the tire and it mounts it self. Mabey im a idiot and everybody already knows this but it was such a revelation for me that i thought it might be usefull. Oh yeah i should say that the tire places around me dont have a machine small enough and the shops charge f/u prices for tires and mounting

Guido
06-01-2000, 04:01 PM
Wanna know my trick for changing those pain in the ass walk behind tires....................... Pay the extra $20 for the tire/rim combo already mounted!!!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

columbiaplower
06-01-2000, 04:44 PM
i agree guido. i bend those pullys enough in the time to wear out a tire that i need a whole new setup anyway.<br><p>----------<br>Nick<br>

thelawnguy
06-01-2000, 11:11 PM
Any gas station will charge $8 or so to mount/demount/repair a tire. This is the route I go, saves pinched fingers and aggravation.<p>Bill

pete
06-02-2000, 12:15 AM
I the tire guys i have gone too claim there machine is too big. aka they dont want to dick with it. There is only one gas station around here that will mess with them for me and the the guy just does it with some prybars. As for buying new wheel assembies with the tire mounted, i dont see how you can do this. I was talking to a freind about getting a whole wheel tire and pullies as a spare and he said it was like a 100 bucks or more. If you guys are getting them cheap let me know i want one for a scag 36 beltdrive. I dont like messing with tubes. It seems like i have bad luck with them.

southside
06-02-2000, 06:53 AM
Buy a set of tyre levers and a large masonry<br>bolster and 5lb hammer to break the bead.<p>Karl<br>

DMC300
06-02-2000, 08:09 AM
I use the the vise to break the bead .Then clamp a bolt the size of the axle in the vise slide the rim over it,tighten it down with a nut.Two large screw drivers to take off the old tire,and rplace. The whole procedure takes less than 10 min.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

Guido
06-02-2000, 10:55 AM
Pete - $55.00 ....Mow More Landscape supplies, inc. www.mowmore.com Check it out!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti