PDA

View Full Version : weeds & grass in landscaping...

Up North
08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
What's the right thing to do about grass and weeds growing in the landscaping? I have a couple accounts where it's growing like mad and I don't have an applicators license yet, so I pulled some out by hand and weed whacked some. Should I even worry about it? Is this something that you guys include with your service or is it an extra service?

They don't have a fert & squirt company come in to spray or fert anything, so I almost feel bad leaving the stuff grow as it looks like crap.

Buck

trying 2b organic
08-12-2004, 10:46 PM
In canada we have an exempted list attached to the Pesticide law which has allowed me to use Top Gun fatty acid spray for such things. Its more expensive than Roundup but I am quite anal about staying within the lines. Works good, topkill only, repeat for perennials. They are adding horticultural vinegar to that list of pesticides you can use without a licence and that works too. No idea what your state law is but just in case you can legally use these two options I thought I would point it out.

lqmustang
08-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Generally weeding beds is a separate service for me. I will try to hit any grass growing near the edge of the beds while I'm trimming tho.

I would try to sell the weeding service if I see the beds are in need. Spraying the weeds is all fine, but you still end up looking at dead weeds. Pulling them is best in my opinion.

Avery
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
It is included in our contract. I spray the appropriate cemical to fix the problem. And put down pre-m.

tiedeman
08-12-2004, 10:55 PM
if you can't spray it, why not weed it by hand then. Our your clients schedule for weeding or are you doing it out of kindness to make the propety look better?

steve122
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
A very effective weed killer can be made from 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 lb table salt and 2 tsp dish soap. disolve the salt in vinegar, add soap to make it stick (don't add soap before you stir or shake the vinegar to disolve salt.) Works wonders as a contact killer, no residual effect. Don't get on anything you don't want harmed. Technically need license if your applying for hire on someone else's property in Illinois, don't know about other states.

Up North
08-13-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry guys, I should have phrased it better. The customers are mow, trim, blow only. And they don't hire a fert. guy for regular fert & squirts. But the weeds and some grass in the landscaping (rock & mulch) are growing at a pretty good clip and look horrible. As a mow, trim, blow customer, I wanted to know if getting rid of the grass & weeds within the landscape is an expected service in a standard mow, trim, blow type service.

Sounds like I should add this service to my list.

Yeah Tiedeman, I have pulled and weed whacked areas that were real ugly looking out of the goodness of my heart... :confused: . BUT I have no trouble going to my customer and saying "okay, that last one was on the house, but this next time...payup.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, greatly appreciated!

Buck