PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting a camera

Envy Lawn Service
08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Ok, I dropped and broke my old digital camera. It never did take great pics but I liked it because the 'size' of the photos was always perfect for Lawnsite, which was a stroke of luck because it did not come with editing software.

So now I am looking for a new one. I don't want to spend a fortune because eventually I will break it like the last one. But I do want one that takes cleaner pics and a preview screen would be nice but not a must.

I bought an HP digital camera w/preview screen and ended up taking it back. I really thought it would take much better pictures than my old el'cheapo did. They were some better, but not much and the images were HUGE! Large pixel x pixel and HUGE file sizes.

So I turn to you guys for an education on what the camera specs tell you and maybe some good suggestions.

lawnjockey51
08-12-2004, 11:12 PM
We bought one of the new Canons ... GREAT PICTURES

Hacksquat
08-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I have a canon Power Shot A70. It's 3.2 megapixels. I paid around 260.00 for mine. More megapixels equals better picture. The higher megapixel cameras can get pretty expensive. The Cannon A70 is a simple camera, and I like it a lot. You can do a search on the internet, and find some good deals on it.
HackSquat

tiedeman
08-13-2004, 01:20 AM
I use a HP with 3.2 MP and 15x zoom

I got a great deal with it, that is why I bought it. $100 off the regular price, free 128MB memory card with it, and free carrying case with it for only $205.00 I couldn't go wrong

I almost forgot, free battery charging as well

KathysLGC
08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I just got the Kodak 6490 It's a 4mega pixle with 10X "Optical" zoom. Great pictures don't alway rely on higher mp. You need a camera with a good lense thats why photographers spend more on the lenses then their cameras. The koday comes with a 16mb internal memory, rechargable battery/charger and software thats very easy to use. i paid $370 at circuit city. I made them beat Best buys price. A bit pricey but go look at my pics in this section. Look at the file size and you'll see even at a small file size the pics are clear so can you imagine what they look like before i resize them? Good name brands are Canon, Nikon, Kodak (only there higher end), Olympus.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=1336&pq-locale=en_US

GrassBlaster
08-13-2004, 12:10 PM
go to wolfcamera.com and check out the Fujifilm S3000. It is 3.2 megapix with 6X optical zoom, and 3X digital. it sells at circuit city and best buy for $279.00, wolfcamera has it for 199.99 no tax and free shipping. It is a great little camera, and the price is right.

When shopping, pay more attention to the optical zoom, rather than the digital zoom. Optical gives better quality, while digital utilizes the pixels.

burnandreturn
08-13-2004, 12:20 PM
The camera you need depends on what you are going to do with the camrera and what type of pictures you are going to take. How you want to manipulate them after you've taken them. If you think you might delve deeper into photography then get one with a removable lens. How much do you want to be able to control the settings. That is manual versus full automatic. Camera's are just like mower's. Buy more than you need right now because you might want to expand in the future. A good choice is the Cannon Rebel. I have one and it takes great pictures and is very versatile. 6 mp , interchangable lenses, many high end features, but you can just point and shoot if you want.

txlawnking
08-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Guy's, how about a camera that can knock off multiple pic's in rapid succesion? By this I don't mean one that will take 20 pix in 5 seconds, I mean one that will take a pic fast, then be ready instantly to take another.. Mine, you can take a pic, but then you have to wait forever to take another while It "saves", the pic.. It has a rapid shoot feature, but itwill just take 5 pics in a very rapid succesion, but you can't even tell what it's capturing after the first pic.. There's no dedicated Camera shop real locall....

KathysLGC
08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Digi cams need time to process the pic. Most are any where from 2 - 4 seconds. If you have a preview feature see if you can turn it off. With my Kodak i can turn the pic preview off and it shaves about 1 second off the next pic time.

KathysLGC
08-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Hey Envy how about giving a price range? That will be the deciding factor any way. Canon has a real nice SLR 8mp camera for $1000.....

robertbick
08-13-2004, 03:28 PM
For a really good FREE picture editing software, go to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download the free version. It lets you resize, rotate, lighten, adjust contrast, etc. plus a lot more.

Bob

tiedeman
08-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Guy's, how about a camera that can knock off multiple pic's in rapid succesion? By this I don't mean one that will take 20 pix in 5 seconds, I mean one that will take a pic fast, then be ready instantly to take another.. Mine, you can take a pic, but then you have to wait forever to take another while It "saves", the pic.. It has a rapid shoot feature, but itwill just take 5 pics in a very rapid succesion, but you can't even tell what it's capturing after the first pic.. There's no dedicated Camera shop real locall....

not mine, just take the pic, then press the view button and take another picture while the other processes

jsmonroeCT
08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I bought the Nikon Coolpix 5700 5mp for $463 or something like that. Not a bad deal. I'm trying to gather the scratch for a Nikon D70, Digital SLR but I have my daughters 2nd bday, lawn renovations, etc coming in the next month or so. Dollars will be tight.

drsogr
08-14-2004, 05:50 PM
I would personally suggest going any thing Olympus. They make great cameras. I have the D-380 I think I got it for $200 a year ago. I went straight out and bought a bigger memory card so I could put 100 quality pictures on one card. Olympus makes cheap high quality digital cameras.

kwelch
08-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I bought a Canon A70 last year. One of the reasons I bought it was Consumer Reports ranked in #1. I have to agree with them. I'm very please with the quality of the pics. You can also put different lenses on it. I think I paid around $300 from HH Gregg.

LandMatters
08-23-2004, 03:54 PM
I have an Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom. It has 10x optical zoom + 3x digital zoom, which means you don't need an SLR camera. You can zoom in really nicely from a very far distance away. My battery life is awesome with 4 rechargable batteries (I prefer to use the view finder rather than use the LCD screen). Pick up minimum of 64mb XD-Picture card and you can take plenty of High quality images. Several selections for image quality. If you plan on using the images for print graphics, you'll want to use a high quality setting (so less pictures can be taken) or if you plan on using the pictures for the web or email, then the lowest setting will suffice. The low setting with my 128mb card yields 1000 pictures (640x480 pixels) or about 150 pictures on HQ setting (2048x1536). There is a higher quality setting, but don't see the need to use it. I usually use the HQ setting.

I researched this subject to death as well and am very happy with my choice. I suggest you go to www.shopping.com where you can search multiple online stores. I bought my camera from www.buydig.com the price was really good (and is even better on this camera because it is a year old now). I just bought a digital camcorder from Canon last week. it's the Canon Optura 30. It seems to do a great job on video, plus you can use it as a digital camera as well. Either still images or motion JPG's. The camera on it is only a 2.0 mega pixel, but I don't need super high pixel for this camera, especially if most of the images will be either sent by email or the motion images will go on the website.

If you have any questions about the Olympus, drop me a line.

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2004, 03:59 AM
go to wolfcamera.com and check out the Fujifilm S3000. It is 3.2 megapix with 6X optical zoom, and 3X digital. it sells at circuit city and best buy for $279.00, wolfcamera has it for 199.99 no tax and free shipping. It is a great little camera, and the price is right.

When shopping, pay more attention to the optical zoom, rather than the digital zoom. Optical gives better quality, while digital utilizes the pixels.
OK, how about 'Digital Cameras for Dummies' ? You know, like the books?

Here, the Fujifilm S3000 is a 3.2 MP w/6X optical zoom and 3X digital.

So it's a good camera that takes quality pics because of the 6X optical zoom?

This is not a camera I will be spending a ton of money on as it will likely get broken like the last one. I'm not looking for a $1,000 camera to tke professional photos with. I just want something that takes pretty good pictures, mostly for quick family pictures for the PC and some pictures for here.

The thing I liked about the old el' cheapo camera was small files sizes and physical picture sizes. No big storage files and no resizing needed to post a quick picture on lawnsite... But way more often than not I found the picture quality to be the pits... pictures I had hoped would turn out good gone straight to the recycle bin...

Mickhippy
10-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Envy, we got my daughter a Kodak 2mp Easy Share CX6200 and it sounds like all you need. Takes a great pic and so easy to use my 8yr old can do it.
MP size is a bunch of whooie! The only time you need 5mp or more is if your going to blow them up for posters. It was about the cheapest half desent camera around and if it breaks or something I can easily replace it.

I'd at least check them out!

ALarsh
10-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Check out dpreview.com