PDA

View Full Version : who's involved in property preservation?

42homers
08-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Has anyone out there dabbled in the property preservation field. Is there enough of it to make any money with it?
If so how has sub-contracting worked out for you and are there any reputable companies that would be worth working for?

42homers
08-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Looks like it's a wide open field then!!!!!!!!!!

ElephantNest
08-13-2004, 11:23 PM
As in preserving old Oaks here in the South, on plantations and the like? What else in involved? Sounds interesting.

HOMER
08-14-2004, 11:08 PM
No.........as in preserving foreclosed property. Trash out's board ups, winterizations.

FHA and HUD, bank foreclosures etc.

steve122
08-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Been doing it for two years for a M & M contractor for HUD. They (M & M's) don't pay as well as the private market, from what I've seen. It is a strange way to make money, for my 2 cents. If you are going to do it, my advice is private sector. HUD M & M contractors don't pay well. As an example around here, they'll pay $350 for a initial clean out of up to 75 cubic yards (cy) of debris and $17 per cy after the first 75. Landfill charges for 75 cys could easily eat up all $350. Included in the initial services are a whole long checklist such as mopping all floors, cleaning toilets, stoves, refrigartors, windows, cabinets, wiping all light switches and outlet plates, wiping wood trim, mowing grass and trimming bushes and trees so no branches touch house. All for $350. They pay extra for removing carpets ($45 per room and you have to pull tack strips and staples) removing broken glass from windows and boarding. Some of the smaller items are profitable if you get enough of them and can work them into a route. If you are in an area like Chicago or some other large city where your entire geographic area is 5 square miles the travel doesn't kill you. My territory is the southern 1/3 of the State of Illinois. They send a work order and expect it to be returned completed in 5 days. I've finally got them to understand the WO willl sit until I have soemthing else to do in the area also. I mow all of the houses for them in the same area, 2 times per month and make them wait until a property is due to be mowed and then complete the work order while I'm there to mow. From what I understand the private sector pays about 3 times as much. I tried it for several weeks and told the guy to stuff it. He wanted me to cover about the same area. The big difference was he expected me to drive to a property, take pictures and send them in with a bid to do whatever work they were interested in, and if I had low price I would get the job and have to drive to it again. Once I understood that program it was adios. If I go I expect to do the work and get paid, not drive 100 miles just to bid a $100 job. For more sharing you can private email me.

jamesmiller
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
There's a company that sells a list of companies you can contact to sign up with them to do this type of work, its www.propertypreservationbusiness.com . It has websites and emails for them, mostly email contacts but there are a lot of them. I signed up myself and am hoping to get a piece of all the foreclosures going on around us, I've heard some people say they've made good money when workng with the banks once you get on their vendor list.