PDA

View Full Version : Buried valves

DGI
08-13-2004, 08:25 AM
I added on 8 zones to a condo complex yesterday off of an existing system. All of the valves were 18" deep and buried. We had to dig 5 huge pits. They also used red field wire. (1.5" Weathermatic valves with clocks every few units and they used field wire.) What's up with that? It's only about 3 years old, the system.

The only good thing was that all of the pipe was about that deep, too. I had to run lots of new wire and would've torn up most systems doing that. It was a bid job so I was scared we'd spend a few hours patching it up and running through it. Only hit one line.

Mdirrigation
08-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Running single wires is the norm on a commercial system . You may want toconsider on bid jobs to put an exclusion in your contract stating that any unmarked buried private utilities will be repaired at the expense of the customer.

DGI
08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
There was no reason to run the single strand field wire. This place wasn't wired with huge clocks. It had 6 9 and 12 station clocks on every other building. No more than a few hundred feet of wire. 18 gauge multistrand would've handled it fine.

As far as the exclusion, won't work in a place like this. The bids are straight forward with the management. Too much competition. More for T&M stuff.