PDA

View Full Version : is landscape trendy?

fga
08-13-2004, 09:35 AM
here, everything seems to a trend or faze. Even landscaping and lawncare.
as far as plants go, and the local nursery has comfirmed my opion, you'll see for period of time, say a year or so, where everyone requests the same plants or trees. for example, blue atlas cedar. i think 2/3 of the houses here have one in there yard, and the others say "everyone has that, what else can we plant?". weeping red maples have become so common also. yet are slowing down due to it being "played out".
lawncare was pretty standard routine, then you'll see an overwhelming use of angled and awkward stipes take over the island, then die back down.
trimming hedges.... for short period of time, everyone wanted the castle wall theme, with the boxed height higher at the ends? if that makes sense.
those brick retaing wall blocks with the curved front. 2 years ago they were flying off the shelves, now, people don't want anyting to do with them. they want a newer look, like the tumbled look.

is it just here, or do you see these things near you? i can understand sometimes manmade products becoming undesierable do to overuse, but a plant? that's been around in existence forever?

tiedeman
08-13-2004, 10:26 AM
yup, trends come and go big time. Like the big trend this year here is hisbiscous

NickN
08-13-2004, 10:41 AM
One thing that remains constant though,is cheapskates.Danged if everyone I talk to about jobs wants it done by the hour,or wants to help,or just can't understand why it costs so much to business,or wants free advice,or wants to know if "my mexicans" can come do it cheaper if they pay cash.Hell,I don't even know any Mexicans.:rolleyes: