PDA

View Full Version : $650 at Home Depot

greeneakers04
08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
If you were planning "The Big Startup" for next season, and had $650 to spend at Home Depot (yuck, I know), what would you buy? I have a 21" Toro, and the Echo 210 already. I am returning something that I bought over 30 days ago, and I can only get store credit now. Homedepot.com will tell all that they carry there. Thanks, guys!:alien:

Mark McC
08-13-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd stock up on supplies. They carry some spark plugs, two-cycle oil and stuff like that. I know $650 is a lot for supplies, but you'll probably use it all next year.

greeneakers04
08-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Supplies is a very good idea. I was thinking of things like an ECHO hedge trimmer, edger, backpack bloewr, etc. For a startup, I know these are "light commercial" but would a couple of these work well for me for a while?

txlawnking
08-13-2004, 09:09 AM
I'd say go for it on the Echo hedge trimmers. And I'd grab a bunch of suplies..

fga
08-13-2004, 09:10 AM
i've been in business for 6 years, and use the 210 trimmer everyday. its my second one, and i plan on buying another. they also have the 1500 hedge trimmer for $200 heav duty unit. think they also have an echo back packblower, but i don't know the price.

tiedeman
08-13-2004, 09:14 AM
I would say stock up on hand tools; rakes, shovels, pruners, etc

Movinfr8
08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
I got my echo pb 403 at HD and no complaints (well very few) so far. $300
save the rest for a chainsaw or hedge trimmers, maybe other supplies as needed...
Norm

gml9
08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Depends on what YOU need. 650 is much to do anything with.

Runner
08-13-2004, 09:35 AM
I would buy some painting and window washing equipment and consider myself that much farther ahead.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
I would get a back pack blower and start getting ready for some work this fall with leaf removal, rakes and a tarp or two and some 2 cycle oil and supplies . Maybe you can get the investment back and more this year and have more $$$$$ for the spring

greeneakers04
08-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all your replies so far. I actually never thought of a bunch of smaller things.

CoastalEmpire
08-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Dude, about 1000 bags of 'Zip-ties' your always running out of those!

Fantasy Lawns
08-13-2004, 12:50 PM
I get a Jacuzzi Tub

Green Care
08-13-2004, 12:59 PM
A welder or Tools

Landscape fabric

Fert /Seed

all degree
08-13-2004, 01:04 PM
a 10 CU FT wheel barrow, kodiak shovels, rakes, brooms, etc handtools

Fishin LCO
08-13-2004, 01:07 PM
I like the wheel barrow and hand tools idea

BladeRunner1967
08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
You can special order Echo Commercial equipment there. I have not checked this out yet, but I will let you know price compared to a dealer.

greeneakers04
08-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I didnt think they would let me special order. I was going to check into it when I went though. Thanks, BladeRunner!

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Is the Echo 210 a hand held blower or a line trimmer? Just checking because you're gonna need those two items on every job. Assuming you've got a line trimmer & blower here's my shopping list. Actually, $650.00 can get you a lot of stuff you'll use all the time.

Assuming the Echo hedge trimmer is a good piece of equipment, I'd put that on the list. There's some good testimonials here but I've read a lot of negatives on this site too. About Echo that is. I've got zero personal experience with their hedge trimmer. Got one old Echo line trimmer that conked out long ago. If Adam says it's a good hedge trimmer then I'm sure it is ;-)

Echo Hedge trimmer - $250.00
10 cu. ft. wheel barrow (the big 2 wheel style) - $140.00
Kodiak pitch fort - $30.00
pruners - $30.00
bow rake - $19.98
leaf rake - $9.98
square point shovel - $17.78
round point shovel - $17.78
gas can - $6.99
spool of trimmer line - $20.00

With the remaining $80 bucks or so........you could pick up other things like bungee straps, a hand saw, spark plugs, engine oil, and maybe an assortment of hand tools. I don't know how well stocked your took box is but you will always put it to good use (e.g. ratchet set, screw driver set, adjustable wrench, etc.). Maybe add a step ladder onto the list for reaching higher spots on shrubs, etc.

The list here ^ will make it possible for you to do some of the "extras" people want like hedge trimming, mulching, plant installs, etc. This is when you can start making some more money. Get those clients to go for extras.

Speaking of extras, I have no idea how good any of the spreaders or chemical sprayers Home Depot carries are. But then you start getting into licensing for these applications..........

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Is the Echo 210 a hand held blower or a line trimmer? Just checking because you're gonna need those two items on every job, of course. Assuming you've got a line trimmer & blower here's my shopping list. Actually, $650.00 can get you a lot of stuff you'll use all the time.

Assuming the Echo hedge trimmer is a good piece of equipment, I'd put that on the list. There's some good testimonials here but I've read a lot of negatives on this site too. About Echo that is. I've got zero personal experience with their hedge trimmer. Got one old Echo line trimmer that bonked long ago. If Adam says it's a good hedge trimmer then I'm sure it is ;-)

Echo Hedge trimmer - $250.00
10 cu. ft. wheel barrow (the big 2 wheel style) - $140.00
Kodiak pitch fort - $30.00
pruners - $30.00
bow rake - $19.98
leaf rake - $9.98
square point shovel - $17.78
round point shovel - $17.78
gas can - $6.99
spool of trimmer line - $20.00

With the remaining $80 bucks or so........you could pick up other things like bungee straps, a hand saw, spark plugs, engine oil, and maybe an assortment of hand tools. I don't know how well stocked your took box is but you will always put it to good use (e.g. ratchet set, screw driver set, adjustable wrench, etc.). Maybe add a step ladder onto the list for reaching higher spots on shrubs, etc.

I dunno, maybe you've got some of this stuff sitting around already & can go in another direction with the $$$.

The list here ^ will make it possible for you to do some of the "extras" people want like hedge trimming, mulching, plant installs, etc. This is when you can start making some more money. Get those clients to go for extras.

Speaking of extras, I have no idea how good any of the spreaders or chemical sprayers Home Depot carries are. But then you start getting into licensing for these applications..........

greeneakers04
08-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow, thanks, Sean. Where in East NC are you?

I'm gonna throw a new kink into this game...should I just go ahead and knock the trailer out at Home Depot? Or would that money be better used on these sort of things? The size trailer I will need at first are between 450-550, so what do you guys think? But at the same time, that trailer won't be getting much use during the winter. Probably best to get the hedge/clean-up stuff to make some$$ now, and then take that and get the trailer.

...you just witnessed an entire thought process...:D

MMLawn
08-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Dude, H-D trailers are cheaply made. Being in W-S just go down to Kaufman Trailers in Denton right outside of Lexington. They have the BEST TRAILERS at the VERY BEST prices you can fine. A heavy duty 5X10 is like $700 and a 7X12 is only $840 out the door and again you will not find a better made landscape trailer.

SpudsM15
08-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Get the echo pb-403 (backpack blower) its 40 cc only 300bones, this will be good for the first season, easy to get parts from echo dealer...
This will allow u to do fall clean-ups this year and spring next year, to pay for the blower then use it on your weekly accounts, then next fall get a pb-650 and save the 403 as a backup

Get some rakes, leaf bags(if your area disposes leafs this way), some 2 cycle oil, air filter or 2 for the backpack(it gets dirty fast)

Get some tarps, Don't waste ur money on a elcheapo trailer use the bed of ur truck... Hedge trimmer... Id say wait on that get a stick hedge trimmer, u'll never look back..
GO with some good sharp hedge shears for this year make a few extra $.

qualitylandscaping
08-13-2004, 03:58 PM
$650 wow I can't even get out of that store for less than $1000..

You could probably buy a pallet of pavers for $650

fga
08-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by greeneakers04
Wow, thanks, Sean.
...you just witnessed an entire thought process...:D
see, that's why i put shawn on the admire list, leveled headed and gives the effort, if only his team would follow his lead.:)

odin
08-13-2004, 04:14 PM
might can get some lesco fert .. ive seen lesco fert at home depots around here ...stock up on some fert

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Adam - Ha!!!! We'll be seeing you guys in the playoffs.................

where we'll lose to the Yanks again $@#%@^%

greeneakers - If these guys say HD trailers are no good I'd bet that's the case. That one referral in here for a trailer place in your area sounds like a winner - those prices sound pretty darn good. Or.......you could look for a used one. Don't rule that out. There are some good deals to be found. Matter of fact, see if the trailer places in your area have trade-ins for sale. You might get lucky. Since you're starting off next year you can shop around a bit..................but why not take what you have and get er rollin now? If you can. Fall is a great time for install work & even picking up mowing clients. One more thing.............as far as trailers go they're sorta like money, you can't have enough. If you can get a brand new 5x10 for $700 or so, maybe you could get a nice used 6x12 for the same money.......or go for a 16 ft. Trust me, you'll use it for carrying mulch, rock, moving equipment when the arsenal grows, etc.

That $650 you're talking about........when you spend it on stuff like what we're talking about, all the hand tools that is, that stuff will last for years & years so it doesn't matter that it's coming from HD. I mean, I wouldn't rush over there to spend money on a JD lawn tractor (no offense to anyone out there using one). I'd use that same money on a good used commercial mower. You know what I mean.

Plus.......land one install job & you just made that $650 back in a flash. Maybe a couple small install jobs to recoup. Get a few clients that want a couple or a few yards of mulch & one or two plants each & there ya go.

If you can get Lesco fert at your HD like Jack ssuggest, maybe you could go for that too. I'm not sure what prices would be like compared to getting it straight from Lesco but yeah, great extra there to sell your clients & their lawns will look dynamite. I use Lesco & it works great. Gotta get it from the Lesco guys around here though.

EastProLawn
08-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Mostly supplies, maybe the hedge clippers...

Navig8r
08-14-2004, 12:19 PM
I would look into the "small stuff".. ie: rakes, shovels, tarps, gloves, goggles, hearing protection (HD has Peltor Worktunes... around 60.00) ......
That being said... You can special order ANYTHING that ECHO makes through HD.... I worked for HD until one week ago.. I was there for 10 yrs... dont let anyone there tell you they dont have a Special order program..... Check to see if the store has a Pro desk or Contractor services desk.. if so.. only deal with them, get to know the people there and they can help you better than most employees in the store.

Many stores also have a tool rental dept.. and you can use your credit there as needed. You dont need to spend it all at once, so maybe be best to just get supplies as you need them.......

Stay away from the trailers..

Evan528
08-14-2004, 03:46 PM
I received a couple gift cards from home depot for returns I made earlier in the year. I didnt go at once and look for things spend those gift gards on. Instead I kept them and everytime I needed a new rake, a new shoval, a tarp etc I used the cards. Was nice making 4 or 5 trips to home depot and feeling I was getting tools for free. No need to spend the entire credit all at once when you know youll be there quite often all season long.

greeneakers04
08-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Thank you for all your responses. Sounds like the general consensus here is no trailer from HD, but yes to blower, hedge trimmers, tools, fertilizer, tools, and tools.:)

Extra thanks for the things about special ordering. I figured they only had access to the lighter equipment.

I guess there is more good in Home Depot than I thought.

Thanks

l1011100
08-16-2004, 08:11 AM
If your store has a rental dept. you might be able to find some good deals on used stuff, I bought a bluebird airator for 300 bucks, it was only checked out 113 times. What a deal, its in great shape. They dont hold onto equipment for more than 2 years, the guy at my store said they usually have a fire sale in Sept.

HOMER
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Runner
I would buy some painting and window washing equipment and consider myself that much farther ahead.

Amen to that!

Invest in your future......save it and go to work for somebody else!:mad:

I know, this sounds negative but I have issues:o

nriddle77
08-16-2004, 11:42 PM
If you buy cleanup supplies, get some Husky brand contractor trash bags(yellow box, red lettering). The are much thicker than anything else I've used, and will hold lots of leaves, grass, etc.
Buy some gloves too.

EagleLandscape
08-17-2004, 12:19 AM
i find great deals sometimes on reconditioned items.. like chainsaws for over half off msrp and whatnot. Just ask to take the thing apart and look at the piston and the cylinder (check scratches and crap / compression).

greeneakers04
08-18-2004, 09:11 AM
What about a grinder/blade sharpener? No one mentioned that...

KathysLGC
08-18-2004, 09:29 AM
We just got two $500. gift cards from Am Express. We had all these points and never used them so we finally cash them in. Now we're in the same situation but we do need a new front screen door, light fixture and odds and ends around the house so it shouldn't be that bad.
Look around your place and see if you need anything. Might be a good time to tune up your heating system and home cheapo sells many parts for heating systems......

fga
08-18-2004, 10:19 AM
I'd also buy a welder. they have a nice one for $300 ( i think its nice??). everytime i go to buy it, "they just sold out."