PDA

View Full Version : String Trimmer Horror Stories

Green&Growing
08-13-2004, 02:13 PM
So Tuesday I'm string trimming along a customers garden when I feel a rock or something bounce off my shin. No big deal, happens all the time, so I don't even look. Then I feel a "bouncing" pain in the same spot on my shin. I look down to see half of a roofing nail dangling out of my leg! :eek: This thing was buried about an inch...maybe two in my shin. It's not bleeding, but I know it's going to let loose when I pull it out. So I walk back to the truck and get the first aid kit all ready for surgery. I really had to pull on the head of the nail to get it out! Once it came out I covered it with gauze and got the bleeding under control, put a little neosporine and a band aid on it and finished the job.
That night I went to the sporting goods store and bought some hockey shin guards! Now my legs are covered from ankle to knee...I'm not letting that happen again.

So whats your "war wound" story? I know we have to have some good ones!

mastercare
08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Echo Hedge trimmers to the knee. I was trimming some crawling vines, just taking off the shooters. One of them wrapped around a downspout, so I held the trimmers with one hand while I worked with the other. I was moving too quick, before the blades stopped moving and put some nices slices in my knee.

Didn't hurt too bad, but the anesthesia sucked....becuase hedgers don't cut, they tear.....many layers, not just sliced like a knife.

Anyway.....left nice scars to remind me not to be so quick next time!

TClawn
08-13-2004, 03:21 PM
green&growing, go right down to the emergency room and get your self a tetanis shot.

Green&Growing
08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Ya , I got one the next day....and some antibiotics for "deep infection". the hole is really small, and looks pretty good today.

steve122
08-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Used to wear shorts in summer, now I put up with long pants for same reason. More than once while weedeating in the low income housing projects, where a trash can for a can or bottle is the side of a building, I had to use a pocket knife to dig pieces of glass out of my shins. Never anything big, could usually squeeze it out and just help it with knife point, but I got tired of it after the 4th or 5th time.

BSDeality
08-13-2004, 06:48 PM
i wear pants now that zip off at the knee. i usually find that most properties are ok to trim with shorts because you can use less RPM's and they've got less rocks/pebbles/sand/sticks/etc in the trimming areas. Then there are those properties where you run full throttle and kick up all sorts of crap. For these properties i just zip on the bottom half of the pant legs. sometimes i just zip up the left one cause it seems to catch the most flak.

You can also wear them with the knee partly unzipped to get some ventilation which is helpful on nice humid days like today.

Ursushorribilus
08-13-2004, 07:26 PM
How long are those tetanus shots good for these days? I think I got one a few years ago and I seem to remember them telling me something like 10 years...Tony

Turfcutters Plus
08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
I watched a helper cut right through a entire garage siding.it was vinyl.He was too fast,believe it or not.Another time cut my leg up good with long pants on.I was releasing line bumping my toe!Duh!

dcondon
08-13-2004, 08:05 PM
swing an axe over my head to get a limb, missed and got it in the leg. Got about a 4 inch scare now:angry:

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Ursushorribilus
How long are those tetanus shots good for these days? I think I got one a few years ago and I seem to remember them telling me something like 10 years...Tony

7 years and your gonna need another.

wiselawns
08-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Have had lots of debris fly up and nail me in one of my nostrils.

tiedeman
08-14-2004, 12:10 AM
had a nice piece of glass off from a bottle get stuck in my leg. I thought that I would pull a Rambo by pulling it out.....stupid, stupid, stupid.

HOOLIE
08-14-2004, 12:39 AM
Last year I was trimming around a tree in a front yard, when I finished the tree, I kind of swung the trimmer around and over the back of my shoulder since I was going to go around the back. But I felt it hit something...the neighbor, who had snuck up behind me to ask for an estimate...she got a nice couple of welts on her arm. She acted like it was my fault, like, I've got my back to her, and why would I expect someone to be standing 2 feet behind me? Anyhow, she calmed down, but I didn't get her business.

Lodi Lawn
08-14-2004, 01:47 AM
This morning first lawn usually mow then trim but decided to trim frist this time. The home owner came out to talk, I shut the stihl off and talked. When I went to start it up again didn't look down just grabbed the cord and pulled, felt my right index fingernail hit something, looked down and the fingernail was pulled out and just hanging by a piece of skin. As I was pulling up on the cord the nail caught the plastic housing (it actually broke the plastic). Lucky the home owner was a doctor he had me put the nail back under the skin and put a bandaid and anti-bacterial cream on it. He said that with it back under the skin it has a good chance of a new nail growing back and just pushing the old one off. He said no need to go to emergency thats all they would do and charge $400.00 or more and take half a day. Well we finished that lawn and did the rest of todays schedule. I did stop for Ibuprofen a couple of times. Funny thing is it really does not hurt much yet, although I can feel my heart beat in the end of that finger. I guess this will teach me to take more time and watch what I am doing.