PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge for...?

Josh18
08-13-2004, 03:15 PM
This has been my first year part time in the business while going to college. I have found myself giving away some free services so I could keep my limited number of accounts. One thing I have been doing is spot spraying the weeds in the cracks of the sidewalks and curbs. I was wondering if anyone else does this for free or do you charge extra for this service?

Wells
08-13-2004, 03:19 PM
I usually just hit them with the weed whacker.
Spin the machine upside down like your edging and take the weed down to a nub.

It keeps them down for quite a while.

MMLawn
08-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Josh18
This has been my first year part time in the business while going to college. I have found myself giving away some free services so I could keep my limited number of accounts. One thing I have been doing is spot spraying the weeds in the cracks of the sidewalks and curbs. I was wondering if anyone else does this for free or do you charge extra for this service?

We do that for free as it is very cheap to do, takes only seconds and is very good customer service that has directly got us other customers because of that person telling others.

SpudsM15
08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Umm, thats illegal in a way.
Because if I charge for that I have to be licenced and pay special insurance for pest. apps.!

Do not do that for free... Thats very good money since it only takes 5 min tops to spray down the whole property!

MMLawn
08-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SpudsM15
Umm, thats illegal in a way.
Because if I charge for that I have to be licenced and pay special insurance for pest. apps.!

Do not do that for free... Thats very good money since it only takes 5 min tops to spray down the whole property!

Only assuming one isn't licensed...and We ARE Licensed to and I assure you that spraying driveway/sidewalk cracks (which is all we do for free as any other spraying is billed) has made us much more in additional customer recommended work than the chump change crack spraying would bring in.:p

Josh18
08-13-2004, 04:21 PM
I have my lawn care license, but I do not have a license to spray chemicals. This may sound dumb, but how do I get that license, and if you don't mind, how much do you pay for it?

A1 Grass
08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Wells
I usually just hit them with the weed whacker.
Spin the machine upside down like your edging and take the weed down to a nub.

It keeps them down for quite a while.

Totally agree. That actually should be considered "part of" the weedeating portion of the job.

2 more cents: NEVER do anything other than Mow, Edge, Blow unless you GET PAID FOR IT. You will establish a pattern that never does you any good. Freebies eventually become expected and not appreciated!

rockandroller
08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
I charge for spraying cracks. Mostly just 5 bucks extra. Just enough to cover the small costs of time and materials. Round-up isn't all that cheap!:cool:

ofishil
08-13-2004, 04:51 PM
if its real bad i will charge a little but if not i just spray it and it helps me out the next time by not having to weedeat it. I make sure and ask them though if they mind if I do it. Lets them feel like they are getting somehting for nothing.

Turfdude
08-13-2004, 06:40 PM
We do it as part of the service. BTW, if its glyphosate - its NOT illegal. One of my vehicles was "spot checked" for the tank 2 years ago by a DEP agent. He asked the crew cheif what was in the 2 gal. sprayer. It was roound-up. We received a form that all was compliant. I was surprised beacuse I too thought we should have had both a licensed CPA as well as MSDS, but apparently we didn't.

bobbygedd
08-13-2004, 06:50 PM
how is glyphosate not illegal?

James Cormier
08-13-2004, 07:25 PM
In MA you cant transport pesticides in your truck unless your licensed, let alone spray it. Of course I'm talking a commercial truck.

This takes care of the guy that says " I do it for free " excuse, I assume most states are the same.

SpudsM15
08-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I though of doing the weed thing for free two years ago before i releized that... I get 50-100 bones a prop for spraying the weeds, I call it non turf weed control... Almost all of my customers will pay for this. To me its good money. for maybe 1-2 visits.

Greenservice
08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
I usually don't charge for spraying a little RoundUp in cracks and beds. It's only a couple of minutes work at most jobs and it's worth a lot in PR when the customer notices the difference between his yard and his neighbor's.