PDA

View Full Version : do your employees own you?

bobbygedd
08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
saw a friend today. he said he will have to work saturday this week due to the fact that he caught his crew in the go go bar FOR THE 3RD STRAIGHT FRIDAY! i said why do you put up with it? he feels he has no choice. if he fires them the work won't get done. so he's content with going out alone on saturday to make up the 8 or 9 lawns that weren't done due to his guys hanging out at the go go bar for 2 hrs. another guy here, he has 11 employees. they all got together and threatened to walk off if he didn't increase thier pay, substantually. he did, he said they got him "by the bells". do any of you guys feel like your employees own you?

Oldtimer
08-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Pay them enough so they won't to take a chance on losing their jobs while you are rounding up half as many Hispanics to do the same amount of work for a fair wage. Hire the Hispanics, fire all but the necessary drivers and YOU can go to the T&A bar on Friday.

Oldtimer

MMLawn
08-13-2004, 05:51 PM
<b>another guy here, he has 11 employees. they all got together and threatened to walk off if he didn't increase thier pay, substantually. he did, he said they got him "by the bells". do any of you guys feel like your employees own you?</b>

I had 2 employees do that to me once. If they were mine they would only enjoy that raise until I found their replacements. I mean come on we all do great work I'm sure but lawn care ain't rocket science so good "worker help" is easy to find. I believe in paying a fair and decent wage but I will NEVER, mark my word, NEVER, EVER be held up by an employee......not again anyway.

rodfather
08-13-2004, 06:29 PM
I got 2 words bg, "f*** that".

I'd can their sorry, lilly-white azzes so fast they wouldn't know what happended. And the last words they would hear from me would be "close the door please on your way out"...lol

steve122
08-13-2004, 06:46 PM
They'd be gone in a minute, even if I had to work 6 am to 10pm until I got their replacements hired and trained.

Mico Landscaping design
08-13-2004, 06:48 PM
can them as soon as possible.... no one will ever own my thats why i am in the bussiness i am :)....... i would work 18 hour's a day before i would let them do that crap... non sense..... :mad:

locutus
08-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
saw a friend today. he said he will have to work saturday this week due to the fact that he caught his crew in the go go bar FOR THE 3RD STRAIGHT FRIDAY! i said why do you put up with it? he feels he has no choice. if he fires them the work won't get done. so he's content with going out alone on saturday to make up the 8 or 9 lawns that weren't done due to his guys hanging out at the go go bar for 2 hrs. another guy here, he has 11 employees. they all got together and threatened to walk off if he didn't increase thier pay, substantually. he did, he said they got him "by the bells". do any of you guys feel like your employees own you? So in essence, the guys employees were acting like an unofficial Union, right? If its O.K. for thousands of workers to hold a company hostage, I fail to see the difference morally if the same thing is done by a few employees. Not saying that you agree with these particular instaces Bobby, but there are more than a few members of this forum who would be angered by there employees holding there labor ransom. Yet see nothing wrong with it on a larger scale.

dvmcmrhp52
08-13-2004, 07:12 PM
It's quite simple............
You raise their pay to keep them on until their replacements arrive.
It happens every day in every business.

As for the go go bar....................Bye now.

Ursushorribilus
08-13-2004, 07:30 PM
they'd be gone in a hot second, and possibly missing some teeth...

Turfdude
08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
I'd have parked my personal vehicle around the corner & locked it up tight, then taken the truck & equipment back to the shop. Thats for starters. Then maybe if they begged hard enough, I wouldn't fire all of them. The crew leader would be gone no questions asked.

Ray & Karen
08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
I agree with all of you, they would be gone, but this wouldn't have happend if he were paying piece work. Give everyone $5 bucks per lawn (or whatever number you can give, and still make money).

Avery
08-13-2004, 08:05 PM
It is easy to let yourself get to that state of mind but never, and I mean NEVER let your employees hold you hostage. You run the business. Not them.

Bertram182
08-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Fire one guy, then take his salary and divide it up amongst the rest. Not costing you any more, but now they have to work a bit harder, getting paid a bit more and if anyone else doesn;t like it, do the same thing

locutus
08-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Bertram182
Fire one guy, then take his salary and divide it up amongst the rest. Not costing you any more, but now they have to work a bit harder, getting paid a bit more and if anyone else doesn;t like it, do the same thing Thats a good idea. I'll have to remember that. The employees get what they want as well as some additional responsibility and perhaps a healthy dose of fear. Beautiful!