PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Dying Out

ken50
08-13-2004, 07:15 PM
I have a JD 727, with a 23 horse Kawasaki, with about 55 hours on it. It has run great, until now. When I am cutting, it will run fine at first, but after awhile, it just dies out on me. I can restart it again, and cut for a few minutes, then it dies again, like it might be overheating or something? Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or can tell me what to check first.

Thanks

specialtylc
08-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Check the ignition coils. Kaw is famous for coils going out early. Or you may have a bad connection on a safety switch.

JPLAWNSERVICE
08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Make sure the fins around the top of the motor are clean. This is probably the most common cause of an engine overheating and can cause the coil overheat and die early. Also make sure that the gas cap vent is working properly. If it is stopped up the engine will starve for fuel and quit.

Gtotoy
08-13-2004, 08:46 PM
~~Just had a solenoid put on a 23 kaw today,, 400 hrs.~~

tiedeman
08-13-2004, 09:05 PM
check the plugs, and air filter. I had something similar to that a while ago, and it just the bloody air filter. Nope it wasn't dirty, but the air filter in it was wrong

dcondon
08-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
check the plugs, and air filter. I had something similar to that a while ago, and it just the bloody air filter. Nope it wasn't dirty, but the air filter in it was wrong

ours do the same thing............... does it most when doing cleap-ups

j_loppy
08-13-2004, 11:10 PM
As the fuel is drawn out of the tank by the engine, air needs to take up the space where the fuel was. It sounds like you need to loosen your grip on that fuel cap when you put it on, so as to not over tighten it. The vents on these newer caps are finicky.

I had the same problem on my WB with a Kawi engine. I noticed that it only happens after I've filled the tank... long story short, the fuel splashes up on the cap, then dirt sticks to the tiny openings in the vent, and then the positive pressure inside the tanks is lost, because air cannot enter the tank.

Just take the cap off and tap it gently on something, put it back on and see if that doesn't help.

Also, Z mowers seem to have more of a problem with getting water in the tanks from condensation than other mowers, mainly due to the bigggg EMPTY tanks. Fill them up at the end of every day to eliminate this. The only reason I mention this, is because the problem you described also sounds like it could be water in the tanks/ fuel system. When the mower stops and the water in the carb. settles to the bottom, it gets a fresh supply of gas when you restart it.

Try the fuel cap thing first, though, and that should solve your problem.

P.S. Let me know if this works.

SouthernFried
08-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Mine was a fuel filter problem...bad gas I think, dunno.

Changed fuel filter, problem went away.

Also, Kawasaki's have throttle cabel problems...check to see if choke valve is opening all the way, and not stuck in choked (closed) position.

LOL, just looked at all these posts...just disassemble the damn motor and rebuild it ;)

ken50
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, if I was to disassemble the motor, I would be in BIG trouble! It would NEVER run again, but it sounds like it could be a number of things, doesn't it. I thought it sounded like something in the fuel...and I just bought some gas from a new station that always has CHEAP prices...hope that doesn't wind up biting me in the rear...but, thanks everyone for the advice, I can't wait for tomorrow so I can start checking some of this stuff out!

shorty7616
08-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Try drying out the electrical connections.....happened on my 12.5 Kaw....loosened my connections and let them air dry for awhile, and it was OK.

It drove me nuts for weeks- I tried fuel, air, carb, everything.

Grubville_Man
08-14-2004, 02:06 AM
I have a Gravely 152z 23hp did the same thing as your's only mine did it running off the right gas tank, ran fine on the left tank. So I pulled the gas lines off at the shut off valve and carb. and blew air into the valve and gas line's with the air compressure it's been running good ever since. I think the valve must have been partially clogged. If you think it's electrical get you some inline spark testers you'll know right away if there is an electrical problem or not.

ken50
08-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, j_loppy, it turned out to be, that the grommet that holds the fuel line as it goes into the fuel tank came loose, and was messed up, so I wasn't getting a good fuel supply. Of course, that meant all kinds of mess in my gas tank...grass, water, you name it....so gas tank had to be taken off and cleaned out, now it runs like a champ again! Thanks to everyone for their input!

geogunn
08-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by ken50
...it turned out to be, that the grommet that holds the fuel line as it goes into the fuel tank came loose, and was messed up, so I wasn't getting a good fuel supply. Of course, that meant all kinds of mess in my gas tank...grass, water, you name it....so gas tank had to be taken off and cleaned out, now it runs like a champ again! Thanks to everyone for their input!

while I hate to hear about bad grommets, I love to hear that all is OK!

GEO :)