PDA

View Full Version : JD vs Toro

xvpelouse
08-13-2004, 06:37 PM
well im thinkin of buying a WB, a 36 to 48... nothing bigger is necessary right now. gettin a good price on a hydro would be nice to:)

the two dealers that are closest to me are Toro and John Deere. both have given me good service in the past, so it basically comes down to which mower give the best bang for the buck. im thinking cut quality, dependability, parts cost and so on!

thanx for your advice!

xavier

locutus
08-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Personally, I dont see many JD's being used in my area despite a very large and well stocked dealer close by. I do however see a lot of Toros being used as well as Exmark. Ive never used a Jd, so I cant attest to their quality or lack thereof. Given what I've witnessed over the years, I would opt for the Toro.

xvpelouse
08-14-2004, 04:56 PM
thx there locutus!

thats exactly what i was thinking... look at what the competition is running and see what seems to be performing best, but the thing is that up here, im in the montreal area, id say its almost a 50/50 split between Toros and JD.

so thats why im asking for you guys insight.... please dont be shy to keep it coming !

LHSlawnman86
08-14-2004, 09:25 PM
i use a 36 inch toro t bar W/B and i can do about a half acre yard in about 24 minutes not really hustling
never used a john deere
good luck

nfisher330
08-14-2004, 09:44 PM
I have a JD 7H17, and I love it. GREAT cut, very easy to operate. I am however JUST starting. I don't know a lot...but very happy with it so far.

wrestlingcoach
08-14-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a GS25 John Deer 36" belt driven

positive pts.
-runs great, cuts great
-plows through thick stuff easy!

Negative pts
-it has a fixed deck and
-to change the heighth is a pain , must take out the wheel assembly and move the washers- greasy.
-also a pistol gripe - hands tired after a while
- must put it in neatral to pick up trash using knee
- scalps on hill - fixed deck
- it is also a timing blade system -so if you hit a stump or something gets lodged in between blade total mess up the blades and the timming belt ( not Good)

Also use a toro 44" and 52" both floating decks, belt driven
positive pts.
-cuts good but
- T-bar : easy control on turning
- to stop:don't push the bar - let go
- NEVER have to move gears to neutral to stop
- Floating deck goes over hills better less scalp
- easy pin adjustment for heighth
- blades off set hit something only messes up that blade not both as on the JD
-
Negative Pts:
-cost maybe ?? my 4 week old 44" cost $3960 w/ tax
- doesn't cut thick grass as well as the JD ( 3-4 week growth)

all 3have Kawasaki engines ( love 'em)

recommend floating deck period
and NO pistol grips

xvpelouse
08-16-2004, 10:00 AM
thx to all! im going shopping today... see what the dealers have to say about their stuff!

nfisher, how long have u had your 7h17 and what kinda of issue, if any, has come up?!