PDA

View Full Version : trimmer line not all equal...

gogetter
08-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I've always read all these threads about the different string trimmer lines. Everyone seemed to have their favorites for one reason or another.

To tell you the truth, I always thought the differences from one line to another would be so minimal, that it would be very difficult to tell them apart.

Well today I used a different line, and there was a very noticeable difference!

When I started a few years ago, I bought a huge spool of green, round line (I'll have to check brand and size). So that's the only kind I've used all this time.

I recently bought a new head for my trimmer and it came already spooled with orange, star shaped line.

This stuff is great. I can definately tell a difference. It just cuts through so much smoother and easier. It feels like the difference of using a dull blade verses a sharp blade to cut something.

It must be the edges of the "star" shape. It feels like it's actually cutting through rather then ripping through like the round stuff.

Just thought I'd share.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Yeah, it was night and day for me. I was like you using up so much "Home Depot" round trimmer line that it was the only kind I used for 2.5 years. Then I bought square RedMax trimmer line and it is great stuff. I know people have their opinions on brands, but as long as its square I feel you will tell a big difference if your used to using round regardless of brand.

locutus
08-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I switched back to round line when I bought my Redmax 2600. Anything but round line makes way too much noise in this beast.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by locutus
I switched back to round line when I bought my Redmax 2600. Anything but round line makes way too much noise in this beast.

Yeah, the square makes a little noise. But I wear hearing protection so i dont hear a whole lot of the noise. The round was ok, but the square rips through grass with a lot less hassle. I run the RedMax BC3400DL. For those that dont know, it is 34cc's.

wiselawns
08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Haven't used the square or star shaped line, so I can't comment. I have been running round titanium on my husky. It seems to last awhile. I might try some of the "shaped" line just to compare.

printer88
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
I use .95" gauge square edge in my Husky 326dx,and it is like a hot knife through butter.It will cut just about anything from grass to small trees ...oh and whips through vinyl siding with ease....oops....live and learn.Be careful!

dlandscaping
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
I use .95 double edged orange line and it works much better than .8 something round red line. I hate restringing so I use the orange.

HOOLIE
08-14-2004, 12:09 AM
I try all different kinds, so long as they are .95, in search of the Holy Grail of trimmer line. Definitely enjoy using squared line. I find if the package says "Commercial Grade", it usually isn't.

Runner
08-14-2004, 02:16 AM
I never really cared for the star shaped line. The edge just doesn't cut as well. The only time it seems to cut better, is when it's cutting better than round line with freyed ends. Other than that, I get a crisper, cleaner cut from round line, as long as the ends are kept reasonably sharpened. I've also tried that filament line, and that stuff isn't worth a flyin' leap. Regardless of, though, .o95 is the only way to go. .105 is just too heavy and blunt.

TClawn
08-14-2004, 02:25 AM
I don't think that there's too much diference between round line and star shaped line. after the first five minutes of trimming it just like you cutting with round line because the tips of the string are the only things that do the cutting and they get worn down just like round line.

I do think that there's a big diference between round and square line, as mentioned above, I feel that it just cuts through the grass better and lasts longer.

to each his own I guess:)

65hoss
08-14-2004, 07:13 AM
This is when you need to get Gator Magnum.