PDA

View Full Version : Is all Lesco equipment made like schit?

DFW Area Landscaper
08-13-2004, 08:08 PM
I bought five lesco back packs when I started...one for each material that I spray.

Well, today, after I spot treated some crabgrass with MSMA (and went through the torture of trying to get the back pack on and off of my trailer with hoses going all over the place and fooling around with those straps that NEVER stay on) I grabbed my Stihl back pack blower.

Bam! It hit me. If I had to spend even half the time with my Stihl blower straps that I do with my Lesco back pack sprayers, I'd be out of business. The Stihl company makes damn sure their shoulder straps don't get disconnected from their product...why can't Lesco?

So I'm thinking to myself for the next hour (there's nothing else to do while working, is there?) about what a schitty product those Lesco back packs are. Pull up to the next house and start going through the hassle of tryinig to get one of my back pack sprayers off my trailer. I finally get it off the trailer and get the straps on in the right place and start spraying Manage for nutsedge. Suddenly no pressure in the hose. But I do notice something cold and wet dripping down the crack of my azz, down my leg and into my boot. The hose disconnected and material was draining out of the spout on the bottom of the tank. I've had a headache ever since and I think it's from the pesticide contact.

Anyway, is it just me, or have others noticed that the Lesco back pack sprayers, which cost a hundred bones a piece, are made like total garbage? My Lesco spreader has been pretty reliable, but after this experience, I'm no where near considering any other Lesco equipment.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

HOOLIE
08-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I've had similar experiences with their sprayers. Maybe you could hit them up with a little lawsuit for the leakage...

locutus
08-13-2004, 08:21 PM
I've been looking for a good bp sprayer and have pretty much decided to get a SP2 sprayer. Do you know anything about these?

edward hedrick
08-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Lesco does not make blowers. The first ones LBB 4200 were

made by Echo. I had one. The LBB 4400 looks like a Maruyama.

Lesco now sells Kawasaki blowers. I currently use a Stihl

340 & 420 their straps also come off some times. Ed

GLS
08-13-2004, 09:19 PM
I think he's talking about sprayers ed, not backpacks. I think the sprayers are made by Solo though. We have 2 lesco backpack sprayers, both bought this past spring. So far they have been working fine. Except the caps seem to leak. Replaced the gasket but they still leak. Havn't had problems with the straps yet.

I too would like to know what sprayers others are using.

greg6775
08-13-2004, 09:36 PM
yes they do suck balls

TSM
08-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper

But I do notice something cold and wet dripping down the crack of my azz, down my leg and into my boot. The hose disconnected and material was draining out of the spout on the bottom of the tank. I've had a headache ever since and I think it's from the pesticide contact.

LOL
hey man, not laughing at you, I feel your pain. Yes, lesco and any product they carry, sucks.

BTW, the headache, most likely from the frustration of crappy equipment, not the product

grassredneck
08-14-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm using shindaiwa backpacks but I'm not in love with them either-I do have an echo but it's pretty hard to keep the trigger depressed and it's about 6" short on the hose-(I'm 5'9")-the shins can't seem to keep the little steel hooks in place so I have to constantly put them back in-I've tried using hvy dty zip ties but they just break-I plan o buy Solo's when these get unbearable to use

z_clark
08-14-2004, 02:49 PM
YES! I don't understand why they didn't make the straps to stay connected at all times. Also, the plastic clips on the pump arm made to hold the spray wand when stored broke quickly.

MudslinginFX4
08-14-2004, 04:02 PM
My solo straps do the same thing. It is so annoying every time you get ready to put it on you have the put the straps back on also.

DFW Area Landscaper
08-14-2004, 05:15 PM
++++Also, the plastic clips on the pump arm made to hold the spray wand when stored broke quickly.++++

Yup. Mine too. Lesco back pack sprayers just suck.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Enviro Green
08-14-2004, 05:41 PM
This has been said here many times before, and I will repeat it again,

I own one of about five kinds of backpacks and four sp2 backpacks. I would trade all of them for one sp2, they are the best.

EG

jajwrigh
08-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I have an SP0 and it is the greatest! Good pressure and a high build quality!

GroundKprs
08-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Go with the SwissMex SP backpacks. I have used Solos and the SP0 - SP0 has lasted longer than 2 Solos. Not sure on the SP2, but if you get an SP0, watch the elbow that comes out of the tank to the hose. Mine cracked this year - sprayer has been in service 4 years at least; just got a couple of elbows from Westheffer, so now I have a spare.

None of them come with decent straps or harnesses. Get a good harness, adaptable to Solos or SP's, here (http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_catalog_page.asp?id=1844). This harness is really comfortable for the simple thing it is.

tremor
08-15-2004, 07:37 AM
We don't make backpack sprayers. They're made by Solo & the clips are a bother. So is the cap's gasket & for the past 20+ years I've owned a Solo, the gasket has always leaked.

If the hose gets repeatedly tangled then perhaps the truck/trailer needs to be better organized.

TSM you're a funny guy.

B&B
08-15-2004, 08:17 AM
anyone ever use a JACTO backpack.I've got 2 & have no problems.

D Felix
08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
We've got a Field King sprayer and it's done just fine for us.

I've been using it for almost 2 years now, I think my bosses bought it when they started the company 5 years ago. It needs a new cap (the little rubber pressure equalizer thingy is gone), and the spray valve's been replaced once, but other than that, it's worked fine.

The straps are not a problem on it, btw....

As for the cap leaking, well, I've never used a backpack sprayer that didn't leak when you bent over. I would think that after a couple of soakings one would be smart enough to remember to bend at the knees, not at the waist!

Dan

TSM
08-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by tremor
We don't make backpack sprayers. They're made by Solo & the clips are a bother. So is the cap's gasket & for the past 20+ years I've owned a Solo, the gasket has always leaked.

If the hose gets repeatedly tangled then perhaps the truck/trailer needs to be better organized.

TSM you're a funny guy.

Tremor, my frustrations with lesco are very deep rooted. And having dealt with several service centers (5) and always getting the same results....well just leads me to believe .....well never mind, its sunday morning, i'll be nice.
Obviously lesco's growth shows that they are doing something right...i just have not experienced first hand what the something is.
My opinion is lesco's market is the start up company, or younger guy with little or no experience.
Just my opinions, formed from years of dealings with lesco

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I will say that the Lesco manager I deal with is very friendly and helpful. Always helps me load stuff too. He is very knowledgeable.

I like Lesco. I just can't stand these back pack sprayers. They're pure junk.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

tremor
08-15-2004, 11:56 PM
It is interesting the analogy of the young & just starting out guys liking us. I'm sure that is true.

But then the clients I deal with are some of the MOST tenured by far. I have the privelege of working with everything from a massive National outfit who we've dealt with for over 40 years (& I'm only their third salesperson) on down to a handful of less than $10K accounts that I've personally grown from day-one to today over a period of time from 3-15 years.
Everything in between too.

I suppose this is a lot like purchasing cars & trucks. After buying 7 new & 2 used vehicles from the same dealer, the owner sold to a new guy who handled a warantee claim of mine very poorly. It was my own fault for having nor gotten the complaint in writing while my buddy still owned the dealership. But I didn't. Nissan even tried pressuring the guy into making things good. When he didn't, I gave Nissan one more chance but they couldn't get another one of their dealers to make good either.

So even the the Nissan Maxima manufactures the best V6 & auto tansmsission combo in the history of the automobile, a Toyota Camry sits in my driveway & is what my wife drives.

Am I biting off my nose to spite my own face?....well...yes. But it's my face & my money & I'll do whatever I want. LOL

I'm sorry you got stuck with slugs. These things have happened a bit in Mass. The funny thing is, I don't know of anyone doing a better job up there. VG? Carovail? UHS? CPS? No comparisson. But it is your nose. ;0)

I think you've just outgrown the Service Center model & need a change of salesperson.

Steve

TSM
08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Tremor,
In my younger days i have cut off my nose plenty, have even burned some bridges, all those cliche's.

A change of salesperson? First time this has been mentioned to me. Actually I didnt know that route was an option.

If you or an associate wants to talk business feel free to contact me through private message on this board.