PDA

View Full Version : trimming around pools

wiselawns
08-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I've been lucky enough to use my trimmer as an edger on all my accounts so far. This season, picked up my first account with a pool in back. Edge of grass is approx. 2-3 ft. from the pool. Any tips on edging next to a pool without lots of clippings going into the water? I like my edges to look nice and crisp. It's hard to get that look without sodding the pool.

Thanxs,

Wiselawns

fixer67
08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
You could try what I seen some guys do. One was edgeing with trimmer while the other one had a leaf blower keeping the grass blown back from the pool. It seemed to be working for them but I did not get close enough to see how good it worked.

wiselawns
08-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the reply fixer, but i am solo

SouthernFried
08-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Do you mean you have an edger attachment on your trimmer that you use to edge?

If so, I would just edge it with the string trimmer. You can put a pretty good edge on (I haven't used an edger in 18 yrs), with it, and much less, if any, dirt will fly up. If you use the string trimmer, you can control much better the direction the grass clipping will fly.

Other than that, if people have grass so close to the pool, they should expect some grass clippings in it, no matter how good you are. And most of my customers have good enough filtration systems, or polaris's to handle the few clippings that do get in it.

Do your best, but, if there are gonna be clippings going in pool, tell the customer there's not much you can do about it if they want the grass there trimmed nice. Most already know it's gonna be a problem, cuz they've already dealt with it. I've even had 1 customer pay me an extra $15 to do some skimming after I was done. I wouldn't use a dedicated edger tho. Grass clippings is one thing...dirt another.

Lawnmedics
08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks fixer67 that is a good idea and one that is so straight forward. I do four homes with pools and have been upset by the stuff I have thrown in the pool. Should have thought of something like that before.

Avery
08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Trimmer will actually put more clippings in the pool than an edger. Tough situation if you are solo. Try running an edger at low RPM's. I rarely have my guys help me with my own yard and edge around my pool by myself. Edger at lower rpm's works pretty well.

wiselawns
08-13-2004, 10:58 PM
No Southern, I don't use an attachment, just the string. It's just a personal thing. I like the edges to look finished. These people are friends of mine. I guess I'm just looking for a way to do it better. You are right, some still gets in there no matter what. I do skim it for them if I go overboard.

lqmustang
08-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I have the same situation at one of my accounts. I'll turn the trimmer the other way, and angle it slightly so the debris flys away from the pool. Doesn't give as nice a finish, but my customer is picky about grass in the pool, so I compromise the egde a bit to keep them happy. Of course if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, you're screwed anyway.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-13-2004, 11:25 PM
You got off light I got one where the grass is 12-15 inches from the pool and the edge has crab grass that grows over every single week and god forbid you get anything in that pool.

wiselawns
08-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I hear ya Kelly. I have nil experience with mowing around pools. If the wind is blowing just right, everthing ends up in the pool. What a b**tch.

HOOLIE
08-13-2004, 11:31 PM
I only have one customer with a pool and fortunately, they have the surrounding area landscaped, so no grass goes in. I would write it in the contract that, due to the close proximity of the grass to the pool, we cannot guarantee that clippings will not end up in the water, and it is not our responsibility to skim them out of the pool.

fraz001
08-14-2004, 01:16 AM
the edge it workes A-1 takes about 10 mi. to put on

Everride-Guys
08-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Here's an idea,

Grab one of those cheap blue plastic tarps (10x12) and float it in the pool. Any clippings should end up on the tarp and then when finished pull it out of the pool.

That should work. Either way its a pain. But setting up the tarp should only take 5 min or less

Everride Guys

Mr. Magpie
08-14-2004, 12:00 PM
I usually position the wacker to shoot away from the pool, but this does not give the best looking cut. Doesn't seem to matter to any of my ~10 clients.

Chances are, they won't notice the difference between the tight look you are going for and the way I would do it. I've learned that a lot of the stuff I do to make lawns look good are not noticed by the customer. This may be one of those cases, so while your attitude is good, it may be ok to go with another strategy. Just a thought.

MMLawn
08-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Avery is right. Edger at very low RPM's and you will be fine.

Critical Care
08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Sounds like what you need to do is to come up with something like a paint shield, or a some type of shield that can easily snap on and off of the trimmer shaft.

sethsodsquad
08-14-2004, 02:27 PM
I agree with Everride Guys - but I've seen people actually install "permanent" pool covers. That would be the ultimate answer. If your client complains too much with all of the other "temporary" solutions, I'd suggest this.

Here's an automatic/manual pool cover site:
http://www.coverpools.com/

Seth

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-15-2004, 03:00 AM
you could edge it by hand and charge accordingly....

Ability
08-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Here is how it is done. Try to visualize this cause it might be hard.

Hold your trimmer like you normally would to use it in a mowing fashion. Then rotate the handle around so the trimmer is now upside down but the bar is still at the same angle as it was originally.

This provides a 45 degree cut that looks very similar to holding it perpendicular (edging fashion) but shoots all the grass back at you.

The big down side is you better be wearing some good eye protection because it shoots all the debris your way.

MiracleMan
08-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Low RPM with MY body inside the line (on the pool walkway) so that the debris hits my legs and body before it hits the pool. Still a little clippings but not nearly the amount had you just let it fly in normally. Also, wetting the grass a little before will help so that it's heavy wil; keep it from slinging as far.