PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dissatisfied w/their SuperRecyl?

BAMARED
08-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,

Just a quick show of hands (assuming there is any) of anyone that's got a Toro SuperRecycler 21" and do not like it. I'm about to take the plunge into one tomorrow morning - unless someone talks me out of it. I'm going with the 6.75 HP w/bag. I believe it's the 20038 model.

Thanks guys,

BAMARED

SouthernFried
08-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure what the SuperRecycler is.

I have a Toro 21" Proline. With the 2 cycle Suzuki engine. Best 21" out there IMHO.

But, I'm not sure if yours is similar or not.

BAMARED
08-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Anyone else?

Thanks,

BAMARED

Lawnboy112
08-14-2004, 10:02 PM
No always loved them.

TClawn
08-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I love mine. in fact I'm selling my hand push proline so I can buy another with the money. plus maybe an m2500 or something like that.

BAMARED
08-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks SouthernFried, TCLawn and LawnBoy. I appreciate it. Anyone else?

hontor
08-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I own to Toro 20037 Recycler mower, I'm also not a professional LCO, so it only gets once, maybe twice a week use. I do however take great pride in my yard. I absolutely love my mower. It cuts nice and even and mulches great. Starts first pull everytime as well. I wouldn't however use it for commercial use, as it's not designed for that.

bobbygedd
08-15-2004, 07:36 AM
i threw mine off a bridge. i had a bad experience with the mower, dealers, and got no help from the main office. now, to be completely fair, i currently own one. it was given to me by an old lady, the mower was in brand new condition. i take very bad care of it. BUT, it always runs perfect and cuts like a dream. i been beating the crap out of it for 3 years now.

Craig Jones
08-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I hope I am not responding too late. Anyway, we have one and have experienced wear problems on the aluminum deck on the wheel adjuster/height adjuster tabs. What happens is the height adjustment levers sometimes loosen up and wear the adjustment slots on the deck. The Pro line mowers and the older model residential mowers have wear guards which prevents this. Eventhough the Super Recycler Mower still runs very well, we have problems maintaining height adjustment due to the excessive wear. I have contacted the Toro rep and they do not have a retrofit to fix this problem on the deck. Part of the problem is I let the height adjusters on the wheels get a little loose, so this did contribute to the problem and probably was my fault the wear took place. Just something to watch out for. Otherwise it is a good mower but does not compare to our Prolines. I bought the mower for my wife since it had electric start (she had surgery). IN the interim we have welded the deck and still use the mower. A new deck is around $195.00, so we have not replaced it.

sgt_rjp
08-15-2004, 10:27 AM
The left rear hight adjustment collects grass when mulching with the recycler. I believe the super recycler has the same type of adjusters. I just replaced the whole left side of the drive line on my friends 20035. When I took it apart, I found that the debris guard was destroyed and it's washer was missing. I figured that the washer was missed at the factory and that lead to the demise of the guard. I replaced the debris guard when I replaced everything else and figured that would keep everything clean. Well, I mowed with it as soon as I was done and there was already grass packed in it when I was finished. I talked to the dealer and he said the only thing you can do is clean it after every use.

The thing mulches great and I actually like the self-pace system but I'm just not used to cleaning a mower after cutting dry grass. Also, now that I've seen the drive system torn down, it doesn't seem very durable. There are zerks on the adjusters so you'll want to keep them lubed and everything clean. Also, the mower can't charge it's own battery so you have to keep it plugged in if you have the electric start.

sgt_rjp
08-15-2004, 10:35 AM
What prompted me to replace that stuff was that the drive locked up. When I took it apart, I found that the cast alluminum height adjustment was rotted away and the rest of it was either rusted together or worn. And of course the debris guard was almost gone completely. This mower is less than 4 years old and used for one VERY small yard. With the proper maintenance and cleaning, it will probably last him a long time but it scared me away from buying one.