PDA

View Full Version : crapsman tractors

wiselawns
08-14-2004, 12:27 AM
I know I am going to get it for this.

I just took the plunge into full time lawn care a few weeks ago. Business has picked up at a steady rate this year. Minimal advertising, mostly word of mouth. And yes I mow with a "crapsman". 42" with 25hp. I've had it for a about a year and a half. It's all I can afford now, family, two small children. I know you guys bash these things, but it cuts pretty good. It's paid for. I have literally cut hundreds of yards with it, and all I have had to do to it is regular maintenence.

My business is growing, and this thing is not made for this type of use. I will eventually upgrade to a commercial mower. I fact I am dying to buy one now. But, I am going to wait until I have to have one(probably next year). I have gotten nothing but compliments on my work.

I just wanted to share this. Let the bashing begin.

tiedeman
08-14-2004, 12:33 AM
no bashing here, that is how I started with a Snapper and Craftsman. You have to start somewhere

chimmygew
08-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Started with craftsman also.

wiselawns
08-14-2004, 12:45 AM
I wonder how many closet crapsman are out there.

A1 Grass
08-14-2004, 12:57 AM
I decided to "go Scrub" a while back. Sold my trailer and my SCAG 32" and all my "professional" equipment. Bought a Craftsman 21" self-propelled, and Craftsman handheld blower, Echo Trimmer. The blower works fantastic - I've used them for a few years. The 6.75 B&S push mower actually gives one of the nicest cuts I've seen, BETTER than the SCAG (that's what matters, right?). I still make about $50 or more per hour and don't take much longer than I did before. I stand behind my Craftsman - don't care what anyone thinks!

KCON1
08-15-2004, 06:31 PM
no bashing started with a crapsman as well good mower for the money

txlawnking
08-15-2004, 06:44 PM
It ain't the size ( or quality ) of the unit, it's how you work it....

I'd work the sears machine until something grenades on it, pull the engine off if it's still good when the rest is done, and buy a commercial mower when you have income that buys it for you...

And, you'll have a nice 25 hp motor to swap onto something on down the road....

Either way, if it's making you $$$$ use it!

lqmustang
08-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Although not used often, I still use my Craftsman 22" mower that was my home mower before going into business. 3rd year in, (5years old overall) and it still runs great.

Fareway Lawncare
08-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Do they Really Make a 25hp/42" ?!?!?!

The mayor
08-15-2004, 08:08 PM
I started with a murray push mower out of the back of the car.No bashing here.But wait until you get a commercial mower,you will wonder how you did without one.

Green Care
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Way to go time tooo move up sell your homeowner specialty and get you something to make you even more $$$$$$

I'm sure the reverse is about dead.

broken leg
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
You have to start some were. It's good to know that you know you will need something else down the road. There are good people who can help you on this forum. Glad to have you there is always room for someone who is trying to better himself. You might here some bashing and picking back and forth but most of these guys and gals are mean well and need to let off steam some times. So with tat said I would not be seen with a crapsman and would have to hide my face if I had to get on one. Love my Walker and Toro Z.

sbvfd592
08-15-2004, 09:19 PM
i started with a craftsman 10 hp RER i got from someone i cut for that dident work (dead battery)

mteamer
08-15-2004, 10:03 PM
I also started with a craftsman 42 inch cut with a 17 h.p. Kholer. I also just started this year at the end of April, and I had 4 customers. I took the plunge after one customers yard was about an acre and my craftsman could not cut it. His sprinklers heads were to tall and the craftsman mower deck could only go to about 3 inches. I had to walk his yard with my self propelled 22 inch Honda push mower. After 3 weeks of this I decided I would by a commercial machine so I could do his lawn as well as a few others to help pay for it.
I bought a Hustler FastTrak with a 44 inch deck, and 18 h.p. Honda. The customer that prompted this purchase also decided to have his 17 year old son cut the grass three weeks after the purchace. I figured I could make the payments over the winter based on what customer base I currently had at the time(4).
By the grace of God I know have 22 customers, and I do this part-time, and this all came without me looking for customers. All referals, and people seeing my work, and wanting to start service.
I will be paying off the FastTrack the end of this month. I also purchaced a new trailer, Honda Sick Edger, and Honda String Trimmer, and McClane Edger, and those items are paid for.
I never thought it would come to this. I've been telling all my friends to get into this buusiness. There is so much business out there, and in my area the new housing market is crazy. They are everywhere, and there are so many baby boomers, and single women home owners who don't want to do their own lawns.

You have to start somewere and you've started were many of us have.

Brad Davis
08-15-2004, 10:47 PM
My trusty old Power Pro self propelled mower's engine seized up last Wednesday so I had to buy a new one and I chose the Craftsman 6.75 horse 22" mower. So far I love it, that engine never even hints at bogging down and you better have your running shoes on if you squeeze the handle all the way down because this thing will MOVE!

fga
08-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Do they Really Make a 25hp/42" ?!?!?! I don't have a craftman, i have a murry i was using at my church. its 4 years old and I believe it is also a 25hp/42". I haven't ridden it in a while or looked under the hood in a few months so i don't remember exactly, but it is atleast 22hp. I was debating taking the motor off and strapping it on to my 32" kees belt drive!

want to buy it?:rolleyes: :)

Prot1
08-15-2004, 11:16 PM
I wish i had a picutre of the mowers i started with. It was a new craftsman 21 and a jacobsen 21 that must be at least 10 years old. Everyone has to start somewhere and im sure most the guys on here have owned a craftsman at one point or another.

davislawncare
08-15-2004, 11:51 PM
I started with a craftsman mower along with a JD. Finally was able to upgrade to Lazer Z but if not for craftsman I wouldn't have been able to upgrade.......

I commend you for mowing with it !!!!

tacraven
08-16-2004, 12:02 AM
I started with a Honda HRC216, a very nice commercial 22" mower. It is now around 12 years old and still starts on the first pull. I would have gone through several homeowner mowers in that time. If you want to build a business, go for the best. Disposable mowers will slow you down in the long haul. My newest mower is a 61" LC scag ztr. Goodluck

wiselawns
08-17-2004, 02:17 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Do they Really Make a 25hp/42" ?!?!?

Yes they do according to the owner's manuel I go with it and the sticker on either side of the engine. From what I have read in this forum, that is a rather large hp to deck ratio, especially for a crapper. I guess it is though,

jbell113
08-17-2004, 02:23 AM
Started with a john deere L110 last year and bought an exmark this year. Funny thing is I have this 1 customer who prefers the john deere cut over the exmark LOL