PDA

View Full Version : please help me understand what happened

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 12:36 PM
on saturdays, i go out alone and cut 10 lawns. i get $30 each for these lawns. i start at 8, and return home by 1. today, my wife had things to do, so i put it in 4th and hustled my butt off and got the 10 lawns done by 12:15. i saved 45 minutes. this made me happy, because i know that time =money, so i know i made more today by saving 45 minutes. when i got home, i reached in my pocket and added up the checks, they only came out to $300. i was sure i added wrong. i counted again, it still came out to $300. i became worried, and upset, WHERE'S THE REST OF MY MONEY? i counted and counted, and counted, checked all my pockets, my shirt pockets, the floor of the truck. still, i could not find the extra money i made by getting the jobs done faster. can anyone help me figure out where the extra money is?

1MajorTom
08-14-2004, 12:48 PM
What happened? Simple
You went from making $60.00 an hour to making almost $75.00 an hour.
If given a choice to work at
A: Geo's Bill Collection Agency for $60.00 an hour
or working at
B: Jodi's Bill Collection Agency doing the exact same job for $75.00 an hour, which would you choose?

Simplyhere
08-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Newbie to the rescue:

Hmmm...let's see. 300 minutes average work time (on Saturday) divided by 10 lawns equals 30 minutes per lawn.

Finished today 45 minutes early (awesome job), which means you had the opportunity to add an additional lawn (if the average of 30 minutes still holds) and a half.

Now since your wife was involved (meaning you NEEDED to finish early on her behalf) we see the following:

1) We state that girls (your wife) requires both time and money.

Girls = (Time) x (Money)

2) We recognize that time is money.

Time = Money

3) We use the substitution property and substitute money for time in the first equation.

Girls = (Money) x (Money)
or
Girls = Money

4) We recognize that Money is the root of all Evil.

Evil = Money

5) We can say that the square root of money is equal to money squared.

Money = Money

6) Because step number five is true, than it is safe to conclude that:

Girls = Evil

I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but I feel pretty darn good about the math. Glad I could help.

:D

NickN
08-14-2004, 12:55 PM
1.Just saved 45 minutes of running equipment,which means you can cut more lawns for a longer period of time with same equipment(not have to replace as often)
2.Cut down on maintenance time for said equipment if you're changing plugs,oil,hydro fluid and greasing fittings based on hours used.
3.Found out that now you can squeeze in 1 or 2 more lawns by 1:00 for $60.00 more ,so you can now make $360 by 1 instead of $300.
4.I like Jodi's math skills.

MMLawn
08-14-2004, 01:01 PM
You worked smarter for more money and more free down time.

Ken Kesey
08-14-2004, 01:22 PM
You say you know that time equals money but it's very obvious that you don't.

You wouldn't be asking where your "extra" money is. What is extra is your time, genius.

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 02:23 PM
so ken, you are saying that i got extra time cus of my efforts, but not extra money. now i'm confused, because time = money. nick, stick to bass fishin, running the equipment harder and faster burns more fuel, and causes more wear and tear. and you see the reason i had to get home early, is cus my wife had to go out. i needed to watch my kids, i don't allow strangers to watch my kids. as far as cutting more lawns, there were no more, my route is now complete. if time = money, then how come there was still only $300 in my pocket. which, by the way, i'm going to invest $18 of that into a fresh new 30 pack, see you stiffs later

timturf
08-14-2004, 02:26 PM
I believe the QUALITY OF CUT went down hill by going to 4th gear!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
so then the jobs need to be priced taking into consideration you will run in 2nd? 3rd? this takes more time, time is money. why are there 5 speeds on the mower?

KenH
08-14-2004, 02:34 PM
For transporting.

Cmon Bobby, your digging yourself deeper into the hole.

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 02:40 PM
ken my bobcat has 5 run speeds. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. then there is reverse and nuetral

Turf Medic
08-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Depends on what your perspective is, my goal is to make as much money as I can, in as little time as I can. All of the previous jobs that I had in the past 20 years have allowed me to leave work when the work is done. I wouldn't work any other way, because of that I have always rushed to get the work done so I could leave. Pay being the same if I worked 8 hours or 2 hours, in this type of business you can use the extra time to build your customer base if you so desire. JMO

SouthernFried
08-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Ya'll are silly.

I enjoy my work...if it takes me 5 hrs to make 300$...or 8 hrs. I don't care...nothing else I'd rather be doing.

I work solo, at my own pace, I take long lunches at nice restaurants...mebbe have a frozen margarita and talk to a waitress. I stop under shade trees and mebbe read a book for 30 minutes, or... "Look! A garage sale!"

You can make more money/hr if thats your goal...but, I heard this saying once, and it kinda stuck..."Life is what happens, while your working to get someplace better."

Well, mebbe that's not the exact quote...

I'm not in a rush to quit. I'm not worried about $/hr. I wanna do good work, and I schedule so many yards/day to allow me to do good work and enjoy my day.

I guess I could break it down for those really interested in this type of stuff...

I make ~$250/day. That's about $10.40/hr for the day...

good enuf for moi.

fga
08-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SouthernFried
or... "Look! A garage sale!"

:D :D that happens to me every saturday. I see peoples junk and get the urge to browse. last week spotted a 2 year old lawnboy for $50. I sell on ebay so i guess technically i'm still working if i pick up some yard sale items..:)

good attitude to have.

But i tink it's alittle different for solo guys, cuz if your paying amigo by the hour, have to make suire its profitable to have a worker.

EastProLawn
08-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Bobby, I knew you were thick but come on bro' this is only a little common sense here....simple math, nothing else....We are not talking physical cash here we are talking about the bigger bang for your buck....which comes down to bigger profits :D

olderthandirt
08-14-2004, 05:11 PM
No extra $$$$ for you it you, hustled your butt off for your wife to have $300. Time = money and the time you saved and the money you made lets HER have longer {time }to spend {money} it. But I'm sure you will be rewarded for your efferts.

Mac

rockandroller
08-14-2004, 05:20 PM
I am almost in disbelief with this thread;) It's econ 101...opportunity costs, or what is your idle time worth to you. In this case as many have replied, more money could have been made in the same time frame, had you more lawns to cut. The oppurtunity cost for me is that I get more time to screw off on a Sat:) Can't believe I wasted time on this one..Oh well I need a life:cool:

Kelly's Landscaping
08-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I think you made your point very well bobby Time is indeed money but that does not mean by working faster you made more as a solo guy. The only way time becomes money, as a solo guy is if #1 you don’t get your work done in the allotted time and you lose the work there by losing money. Or #2 you get your work done faster and fit in more work that was not scheduled for lack of time.

These 2 things will make time become money but cutting 10 lawns in 3 hours or 10 hours aside from some extra fuel and perhaps some lunch time expenses really doesn’t impact the final number one bit.

In the spring when I was 7 weeks back logged let me tell you time was money and I busted my ass to get every second worth per day. But now when I can finish in 5 days a week or less. Time is not money and a more leisurely pace is welcome because I know all to well what fall clean up time will bring and the nightmare of doing 150 of them this year.

HOOLIE
08-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Cool, a "spin-off" thread.

I think Bobby is proving the point that "efficiency" and "productivity" are two different concepts. Sure Bobby was more efficient today, but his productivity was the same as any other Saturday. $75 or $60 per hour, its still the same dollars in his pocket.

I took Econ 101, all I remember is "Supply and Demand". Those classes are usually taught by people who have never had a job that actually produced anything.

2manymowers
08-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
. which, by the way, i'm going to invest $18 of that into a fresh new 30 pack, see you stiffs later

What is a 30 pack ?

jaybird
08-14-2004, 06:24 PM
stat,stat, doctor so and so emergency. relax enjoy its just grass you dont want the home-owners to think you are on speed. they are probably looking out window saying look at bobby go. go bobby go.

Aleman
08-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 2manymowers
What is a 30 pack ?

5 six packs...

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 07:24 PM
what is a 30 pack? almost enough booze to allow me to tolerate the sh!t i read from the morons on lawnsite.

Turf Medic
08-14-2004, 07:28 PM
what is a 30 pack? almost enough booze to allow me to tolerate the sh!t i read from the morons on lawnsite.

Hey bobby if you put your own name on your ignore list you won't need so much beer :D

Just kidding

tiedeman
08-14-2004, 07:38 PM
on saturdays, i go out alone and cut 10 lawns. i get $30 each for these lawns. i start at 8, and return home by 1. today, my wife had things to do, so i put it in 4th and hustled my butt off and got the 10 lawns done by 12:15. i saved 45 minutes. this made me happy, because i know that time =money, so i know i made more today by saving 45 minutes. when i got home, i reached in my pocket and added up the checks, they only came out to $300. i was sure i added wrong. i counted again, it still came out to $300. i became worried, and upset, WHERE'S THE REST OF MY MONEY? i counted and counted, and counted, checked all my pockets, my shirt pockets, the floor of the truck. still, i could not find the extra money i made by getting the jobs done faster. can anyone help me figure out where the extra money is?

smart@ss!!!! I knew you couldn't back down from the other night:D

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 07:41 PM
sorry dude, i just wouldn't be able to sleep right till i got the last word in

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-14-2004, 07:49 PM

3. You are not permitted to use obscene, vulgar or explicit language at the site.

12. You are not permitted to harass other members at LawnSite.com. This includes offensive remarks or remarks that attempt to provoke another member. Sarcastic baiting is also not permitted. If you disagree with someone, state why, but do not resort to name calling, threats, etc…

How many rules are we allowed to break before we get in trouble.

Norm Al
08-14-2004, 07:51 PM
bobby is there a place that you go when your drunk to dream up these types of threads?

Norm Al
08-14-2004, 07:52 PM
so what you need to do is pay yourself so many dollars per hour,,,,,the day that you do the work faster than normal pay yourself less!

then the guy that owns the company will make more!

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
yes, the corner bar. norm, glad to see you made it out alive. any damage? you happen to see ric and gee vee floating around? mike, what's the difference between a texan, and a bucket of cow crap? answer: the bucket

Norm Al
08-14-2004, 07:56 PM
...............:)

fixer67
08-14-2004, 07:59 PM
This is a joke, right?
10 lawns at $30 each = $300. $300=$300 not matter if it is done in 5 miuntes or 5 days.

tiedeman
08-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by fixer67
This is a joke, right?
10 lawns at $30 each = $300. $300=$300 not matter if it is done in 5 miuntes or 5 days.

this will help you catch up with the situation

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80388

odin
08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
all a little bit of a coincedence dont ya all think?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-14-2004, 08:09 PM
yes, the corner bar. norm, glad to see you made it out alive. any damage? you happen to see ric and gee vee floating around? mike, what's the difference between a texan, and a bucket of cow crap? answer: the bucket

12. You are not permitted to harass other members at LawnSite.com. This includes offensive remarks or remarks that attempt to provoke another member. Sarcastic baiting is also not permitted. If you disagree with someone, state why, but do not resort to name calling, threats, etc…

Bobbie I refuse to break the rules so all I will say is I disagree with you and the reason why is because you are a DUMBASS MOWRON

bobbygedd
08-14-2004, 08:12 PM
mike i disagree with you for several reasons: #1- you are a dope. #2- you are a dope. #3- you are a dope.

crawdad
08-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by 2manymowers
What is a 30 pack ?
Where have you been? A 30 pack is a case of beer, with an extra six-pack thrown in to keep Bobby off the road when he's drunk ("I'm just goin' out for another six, gimme your car keys...")
Crawdad

jaybird
08-14-2004, 08:55 PM
bobby, why 30 per cut if they will go 30 they will go 31.

Norm Al
08-14-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.motonews.com/images/AlessiHoleshot.gif

Ursushorribilus
08-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by SouthernFried
Ya'll are silly.

I enjoy my work...if it takes me 5 hrs to make 300$...or 8 hrs. I don't care...nothing else I'd rather be doing.

I work solo, at my own pace, I take long lunches at nice restaurants...mebbe have a frozen margarita and talk to a waitress. I stop under shade trees and mebbe read a book for 30 minutes, or... "Look! A garage sale!"

You can make more money/hr if thats your goal...but, I heard this saying once, and it kinda stuck..."Life is what happens, while your working to get someplace better."

Well, mebbe that's not the exact quote...

I'm not in a rush to quit. I'm not worried about $/hr. I wanna do good work, and I schedule so many yards/day to allow me to do good work and enjoy my day.

I guess I could break it down for those really interested in this type of stuff...

I make ~$250/day. That's about $10.40/hr for the day...

good enuf for moi.

SouthernFried, you have the right approach to life...carpe diem "seize the day". Another wise man said something to the effect that it's not the goal or destination that's important, it's the journey. It's life's experiences and twists and turns and oddities that keep me going - making $ for the daily bread is important, but not all important...Tony

2manymowers
08-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by crawdad
Where have you been? A 30 pack is a case of beer, with an extra six-pack thrown in to keep Bobby off the road when he's drunk ("I'm just goin' out for another six, gimme your car keys...")
Crawdad

I guess I don't get out much. Beer comes in 6 packs, 12 packs, and 24 can cases, as far as I knew. Sometimes, ignorence is bliss. :) Sometimes, it just makes me look like a dumba$$.

:o

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-15-2004, 12:28 AM
30pks... didn't discover these till i was 19 and moved to a college town. kinda funny how san antonio - pop 1.5mil, college station - pop. 300K guess which one has 30pks... yeah, college station

i still think bobby and that other guy is right about if you work you butt off, you make 300 bucks, if you slack, take it easy, no big rush, you still make 300 bucks, where is the money loss there?

fixer67
08-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Ursushorribilus
SouthernFried, you have the right approach to life...carpe diem "seize the day". Another wise man said something to the effect that it's not the goal or destination that's important, it's the journey. It's life's experiences and twists and turns and oddities that keep me going - making $ for the daily bread is important, but not all important...Tony

I thank the world would be better off if more people though like you. This "hurry-up" world is going to be the death of us all.