PDA

View Full Version : Top Dressing Equipment

Mower63
08-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Wondering what equipment is available for top dressing St. Augustine grass. Everything I've seen is for large scale operations (eg. golf course and athletic fields). I need to spread a reasonable amount of sand (18 cubic yards) on my property. I also want to add this as a service to my clients.

Thanks

:cool:

Itsgottobegreen
08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Shame your not up north. We did this to a buddy's house with the V box salt spreader in the back of his chevy 3500 dump truck. We loaded the spreader with sand with his skid loader. Then drove the truck across the lawn with the spreader running. It worked great, just don't do it on a wet lawn. Or the truck could sink. It does take a long time, (he has 2 acres), I have no idea how much sand we put down, but it was a lot.

Other wise you can rent topdressers from golf course supply places

tiedeman
08-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Turfco makes one, approx $5790 for the machine (looking at it right now in their magazine)

Mower63
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, I figure I'd need something fairly large to move all the sand. I'll just have to make sure I don't drive over the septic tank and drain field :eek:

Any opinion on the equipment show that is scheduled for late September in Louisville? I'd like to get a first hand look at all the toys in one spot....is this worth while.

Again, thanks from a newbie. I'm just getting started with a new biz I bought. 90% commercial - other 10% is estates.

Ursushorribilus
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
What is top dressing? Sand on top of a lawn? Please explain...something new for me to learn here...

65hoss
08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Mower63
Thanks for the advice, I figure I'd need something fairly large to move all the sand. I'll just have to make sure I don't drive over the septic tank and drain field :eek:

Any opinion on the equipment show that is scheduled for late September in Louisville? I'd like to get a first hand look at all the toys in one spot....is this worth while.

Again, thanks from a newbie. I'm just getting started with a new biz I bought. 90% commercial - other 10% is estates.

Want real info? PM me.

Gilla Gorilla
11-07-2004, 10:45 AM
That thing looks pretty cool as long as the top soil that you are applying is not clumped up and or wet then it will probably clog like the smaller push version that I tried to use earlier this year. That thing was more work then what it was worth.

I would like to demo one though when spreading something like leaf compost.

BMFD92
11-07-2004, 03:59 PM
How much would one charge for that service. I am making good money from aerating and dethatching, topdressing would go good with my renovation services. I just want to know how much I could make doing a regular job and how long would it take?