PDA

View Full Version : deadbeat customer

greenback
08-14-2004, 09:27 PM
this guy owes me 900 dollars and is trying to avoid me. we are two weeks into august(he pays by the month) and next week if he does not pay i am not cutting his lawn. as soon as the bill is paid then we will resume maintenance. there is no contract for any of my customers but after this i will have them sign one, just typed one up today. do you think i should do that or not.

i want him to pay but if he does not then i am going to rip out the bushes we planted for him. that is the last resort because i do not want to do that.

tiedeman
08-14-2004, 09:30 PM
If the situation got really bad, yes rip out the shrubs. If he complains just tell him, "hey you haven't paid for them yet."

Turf Medic
08-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
If the situation got really bad, yes rip out the shrubs. If he complains just tell him, "hey you haven't paid for them yet."

Can you legally do this???

broken leg
08-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Take him to Judge Judy. Make him pay and look stupid on national TV.

AL Inc
08-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Where is this guy located?

Gilla Gorilla
08-15-2004, 12:33 AM
If you have the reciepts for the plants and yoiur records show that he has not paid for them then I would pull them out in a couple of weeks if he does not pay. He will not have a check or any proof that he paid for them and you will have a receipt.

Avery
08-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I would not rip out the shrubs. You can get in legal trouble for that.

Gilla Gorilla
08-15-2004, 12:42 AM
That is probably very true. But wouldnt you love to be able to do that when people dont pay after say one month or so.

Gilla Gorilla
08-15-2004, 12:42 AM
That is probably very true. But wouldnt you love to be able to do that when people dont pay after say one month or so.

tiedeman
08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
I personally feel that you couldn't get in legal trouble for it because; if he hasn't paid for the labor or the shrubs technically you still own them. It's the same thing for a car payment, if you can't make the payment, the bank takes it away

MikeLT1Z28
08-15-2004, 02:01 AM
if you rip them out, i bet he won't avoid you anymore...

greenback
08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
my last resort would be to rip them out, i want the money i do not want t o find someone else to pay for 2 200 dollar cypress shrubs. he will pay one way or the other, my partners brother is a suffolk cop.

ed2hess
08-15-2004, 04:30 PM
The best money we spent was to get us a lawyer to collect the money. We have been in business over 30 years and found that sometimes collecting from "deadbeats" kept us from doing more important things. We kept trying to figure out all these ideas on how to collect. It costs about 40% but it feels so good when the customer gives in and pays. We try to collect by monthly billing but usually after about 6 month we send one last letter and tell them we are turing it over to our lawyer. They usually pay when they get the letter from the lawyer.

GrassBustersLawn
08-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't rip them out. He could call the cops & claim you are trespassing. I would gather up the receipts and take him to small claims court. I would send him one last letter before doing so. Advising that he will then be responsible for the $900 job plus any fees you incur from court, court costs, time in court, etc.

THenhope he will pay or will be able to collect a judgement or garnish his wages. At least you should be able to file a lien against his house so you would get paid if he ever sells.

YES, I would definitely start using contracts. Additionally, for any install jobs I'd get at least 50% of the cost UP FRONT before doing any work!!!!

Mike

bobbygedd
08-16-2004, 09:16 AM
it is my understanding that once the plants are in the ground, you cannot pull them out. this is against the law. BUT, i would do it anyway. remember, breaking the law, and getting caught are two different things

fga
08-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
Can you legally do this??? Illegal......... just means sick bird in some cases.:)

Turfdude
08-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Yes, It is ILLEGAL to rip out the shrubbery even if the client has not paid for them. A friend of mine was a p/t landscaper & full time cop. His good friend owned a lco & got burned. The guy went to the property and started to remove the shrubs. My buddy had to arrest him for stealing the shrubs. Unfortunately, you may have to go to court, and depending on your states laws and verbal contracts.....

Duron22
08-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by tiedeman

not only that but you have proof you have been there to mow.... eh?

alpine692003
08-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Wow ..

I stop my service after $50 service hasn't been paid..