PDA

View Full Version : Worst part of the job?

ofishil
08-14-2004, 11:46 PM
What do you guys think the worst part of the job is?

For me i really hate hand pulling weeds. I also dont like when I am in a rush and the inevitable happens. The customer comes outside to talk. It may sound stupid but sometimes I try to figure out some of my customers schedules to avoid them. Only certain ones though. I like the guy that i dont see for a few weeks then when i do he comes out mumbles Looks Good, hands me money, and goes back inside. And the heat is no good.

qualitylandscaping
08-14-2004, 11:56 PM
I don't like when people whine and complain, just to whine and complain and be a PITA when there is really not a problem

Gilla Gorilla
08-14-2004, 11:58 PM
I hate the clean up after a long day of landscaping, that is when I wish that I could find a neighborhood kid and give him 20 bucks and let him pick up the trash so I can just kick back and relax before I go out and sit in traffic for 30 or 45 minutes

chefdrp
08-15-2004, 12:08 AM
cleaning my decks and sharpening the blades

wanabe
08-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Picking up trash rates up there for me. I can not stand all the idiots who like to sling junk out the window. I even found a weight off of a weight bench one time! How that got there I will never know. My next major pita is idiot employees who complain all day about the jobs.

Liberty Lawncare
08-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Dog crap stinkey.

txlawnking
08-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Worst part?? Definately finding the work... the work itself isn't That bad....I wouldn't do it if it was...

Gilla Gorilla
08-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah how did I forget about that. That is one of the reasons that I love riding a proslide, just ride over it and it does not even stick to the bottom. Just kindof slices it open so you have that great smell while your mowing the rest of the lawn. EWWEW...

WoodBrothersLC
08-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Fall Leaf Cleanup is by far the worst for us, but we have found a better system for this year, hopefully it proves to be quicker!

nriddle77
08-15-2004, 12:48 AM
I spent two hour today hand pulling weeds. I hate doing that more than anything else.

matthew horner
08-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by WoodBrothersLC
Fall Leaf Cleanup is by far the worst for us, but we have found a better system for this year, hopefully it proves to be quicker!

do tell

Lbilawncare
08-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Dog crap and people who refuse to trim their trees or have us do it. Also dealing with old people who sit and stare out the window all day until you come then they come out and start a bitchfest.

GarPA
08-15-2004, 07:00 AM
1. scraping mower decks
2. scraping mower decks
3. scraping mower decks

Ray & Karen
08-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I hate my other job!

Creative Lawn Care
08-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Why are you guys pulling weeds??? Unless there is just one single weed in the bed, we weedeat them down and then spray roundup. After that we spray all beds once a month to prevent any hand weeding.
For me dealing with some of the customers is the worst part of the job. I too do my route to try and avoid a few of them

CamLand
08-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Lbilawncare
Dog crap and people who refuse to trim their trees or have us do it. Also dealing with old people who sit and stare out the window all day until you come then they come out and start a bitchfest.

Add picking up trash and those would be my complaints...

slplow
08-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Finding good employees

Greenservice
08-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Definitely leaf cleanup. The leaves start falling about the second week of October while the grass is still growing so you have twice as much work at each stop until colder weather slows the grass down.

When I go to look at a possible new account, the first place I look is up. If I see a another big leaf cleanup potential, I'm out of there.

EastProLawn
08-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by chefdrp
cleaning my decks and sharpening the blades I agree with that but the PITA customer who complains for nothing at all is a close second:mad:

tiedeman
08-15-2004, 12:30 PM
fall cleanups and spring cleanups

l1011100
08-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I hate mowing over yellow jacket nests, although it does add some excitment to the day.

GrassBustersLawn
08-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Fall LEAF jobs. Hate the work, love the $!

Mike

odin
08-15-2004, 01:13 PM
shoveling rock and laying sod.

alpine692003
08-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Shovelling 16yards of topsoil with 2 wheel barrows and 4 guys and 4 shovels.

Then hauling the wheel barrows 15 feet across into the place to dump it..

TheKingNJ
08-15-2004, 01:38 PM
POISON IVY ALL SUMMER

Fantasy Lawns
08-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I have NOT had a job fore over 10 years

BUT I do OWN a business

SouthernFried
08-15-2004, 01:59 PM
The heat here in Texas. Could work all day if it wasn't for the heat.

Hitting a patch of dog crap with your weedeater running full throttle. I mean, once you've done that you can do is just stand around looking at yourself. You can't touch the sh*t, cuz if you try to wipe it off... it just smears into your clothes. Ever try to wipe off dog crap from your clothes when your soaked with sweat? If it gets in your face you wanna get sick...and now your walking around the rest of the day with little bits of crap all over you.

Leaves, leaves, leaves.

I usually don't mind talking to customers. Some retired folk hire me because I think I'm the only person who visits them they can talk to. But, ya...it can really take up some serious time.

All the young daughters hitting on me.

Runner
08-15-2004, 02:08 PM
The worst part? Is reaching into my wallet at the gas station. Next to that, it's string trimming and shrub trimming.

Mico Landscaping design
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Well the worst is if u really have to pull weeds and thats bout it.. I love doin everything :) its good work out... fall clean up's are a breeze :) everything else is..... thats all i have to say :eek:

Green Care
08-15-2004, 08:49 PM
I would say getting started on a monday morning.

TheKingNJ
08-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Runner
The worst part? Is reaching into my wallet at the gas station. Next to that, it's string trimming and shrub trimming.
i second that!!!!
wednesday i filled up my trucks 35 gallon tank, my rider, my walk behinds, my two 5 gallon gas tanks and my 2.5 gallon, costs me 138.67$!! and my truck goes about 292 miles with my trailer on with a tank of gas. i gotta fill everything up tomarrow morning. damn that V10

Canadian GreenScape
08-15-2004, 09:48 PM
How boring some lawns get near the end of the summer.. you feel like doing the neighbours for free just for a change of scenery.

HOOLIE
08-15-2004, 10:40 PM
The worst part? Getting my arse outta bed each morning. Been doing this 15 years now, you'd think I would have adapted to early starts...but no.

qualitylandscaping
08-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Another to add to my list:

Needing to peee really bad but not having any place to go.. Trying to drive 15 miles and barely making it..

My new enclosed trailer is gonna have a toilet in it.. I can't take it anymore

BSDeality
08-15-2004, 10:47 PM
hand weeding beds is the top of my list. this is my only motivation for getting certified.

SpudsM15
08-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I hate doing a free estimate and then not getting the job. Your happy when u get the call then u get pissed for wasting time!

Personnally I love doing leaves, cool enough to wear the worktune head phones, then so much noise with the 2 backpacks and wb running, leaves flying and a grin on my face! but i hate bagging the stupid piles we make I think i'm goingto get a leaf loader this season!

NNJLandman
08-15-2004, 11:50 PM
yea i enjoy doing leaves too, i don't mind walking around with a backpack on all day, i really good go for a nice cool blue sky fall day....yall know what im talkin about, when its jus the best day out and your running your walker mower threw the leaves and you have some awesome stripes and jus rows of leaves n what not, yall get the picture.

I can work in the rain but i hate it, i mean if like im really into wat were doing im all for getting soaked and workin my ass off, but i always hate the first 15 mins of getting wet. heh.

Jeff

lawnman_scott
08-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Having to depend on the idiots we call employees.

HOOLIE
08-16-2004, 12:28 AM
The other thing I hate- when you're having a great week (a rarity) and you're ahead of schedule, then around Wed. nite the weatherman says "Did we say it would be sunny, we meant it's gonna be rainy, a cold fronts gonna drop down and STALL over our region!" If I hear the phrase "stalled front" one more time this year, I'm gonna go personally to the TV station and put my foot up the weathermans...

Wells
08-16-2004, 12:50 AM
Worst part for me would have to be preparing invoices.
Would rather be outside doing a leaf cleanup, scraping poo from under the deck or mowing in the rain, can't stand that time of the month...but do enjoy it as soon as the checks start rolling through the door.

Westbrooklawn
08-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Hate the work but love the money on:

1. leaf cleanups
2. shrub trimming
3. large mulch jobs

protouchlawn
08-16-2004, 08:30 AM
1. Scraping decks
2. Scraping decks
3. Leaf removal

bigdaddyspags
08-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by TheKingNJ
POISON IVY ALL SUMMER

I second this!

meathead1134
08-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I'll third that one I've had posion ivy 4 times this year. Two really good ones that required precriptions. Still wondering were I got the last case

matthew horner
08-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by NNJLandman
yea i enjoy doing leaves too, i don't mind walking around with a backpack on all day, i really good go for a nice cool blue sky fall day....yall know what im talkin about, when its jus the best day out and your running your walker mower threw the leaves and you have some awesome stripes and jus rows of leaves n what not, yall get the picture.

I can work in the rain but i hate it, i mean if like im really into wat were doing im all for getting soaked and workin my ass off, but i always hate the first 15 mins of getting wet. heh.

Jeff

I can't get a good cut in the rain.

matthew horner
08-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SpudsM15
I hate doing a free estimate and then not getting the job. Your happy when u get the call then u get pissed for wasting time!

Personnally I love doing leaves, cool enough to wear the worktune head phones, then so much noise with the 2 backpacks and wb running, leaves flying and a grin on my face! but i hate bagging the stupid piles we make I think i'm goingto get a leaf loader this season!

Will be charging for estimates next year. Sorry, Did WAY to many free this year with no hiring.

Screws up my schedule. Gas. time. Headache, Put on a clean shirt,. bla bla bla

matthew horner
08-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Canadian GreenScape
How boring some lawns get near the end of the summer.. you feel like doing the neighbours for free just for a change of scenery.
I feel that also,

My remedy, one of three. Listen to neil boortz on peltors. Drive like a maniac on the super z (do this on rentals hehe). or, Do a REALY REALY good job--slow, maticulous etc.
Matt

Lawnboy112
08-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Cleaning the under the decks and sharpening the blades.

Remsen1
08-16-2004, 04:30 PM
#1 Getting up in the morning

From that point on, the rest is easy.

#2 (Slowly rising to #1.) Customers who ask, "why so much money?"

Steve9
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Having the hot woman i mow for lure me in and force me to make love to them. ugh! I hate that!:o

honest larry
08-16-2004, 05:55 PM
i think you all just like to biitch and moan

Kelly's Landscaping
08-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Hiring and firing people I don't like doing interviews so I never do enough and I am rather nice so I don't like it when It becomes obvious that I need to fire someone.

As for what I donít like about our trade thatís different from what I don't like doing because if I don't like something I don't do it. Hence no more snow plowing and no more planting work

.. ...... . .. .. EVER!

Olylawnboy
08-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Dirty diapers in commercial landscapes. Like Toys R Us, Yuk.

Gene $immons
08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I got you all beat...

PAYING TAXES

CJ GreenScapes
08-16-2004, 08:15 PM
spreading pine straw and trimming hedges - the rest I can deal with...