PDA

View Full Version : How to get guys from Mexico?

GreenDream
08-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know how to get guys from mexico on a ten month visa? I think it is called h2b program. And who would I contact to get the guys up to the northeast?

Bull
08-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Any trucking company should be able to help you out.

ikesleeping
08-15-2004, 11:17 AM
As a trucker co. I dont know of any rules regarding immagration might try INS. Immigration will have the rules regarding temporay visas. Bull does make a point that a lot of companies have turned a lot of immagrants loose on the country. And some more would just like to lose them....

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Do a Yahoo search under H2B. There are several firms that specialize in getting migrant worker H2B visas.

I'm just not sure how you address the drivers license issue and Mapsco issue with them.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

premier lawn care
08-15-2004, 11:59 AM
I brought in 6 this year on 9/10 month visas. If you deal w/ a good company it easy, but costly. I paid ~$2500 for up to 11 workers. You can charge some of that back to your new workers, plus you have to pay them as much. I did not charge them any of my cost, but I do pay them $6.75 hr. I have 17 guys working for me and six of them this year were h2b's. I will be doing it next year, as a matter of fact you need to start now to get guys for Feb/Mar. The lady I dealt w/ is Mary Jane York in Atlanta, Ga. I'll post more tomorrow!
-Travis

Tony Clifton
08-15-2004, 12:31 PM
There are also firms that specialize in H2B workers for only the green industry. You can get them pre-trained and could probably request that at least one worker be bi-lingual. Look in Lawn & Landscape or any of the trade magazines and youy will see ads. You could also check with Symbiot I know they have a program but not sure if it is available to non-partners.

tiedeman
08-15-2004, 12:33 PM
shovels and flashlights....for digging tunnels of course

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Tony Clifton,

Are they able to drive and read a Mapsco?

$6.75/hr sounds nice.

Also, after you pay all the fees to get them up here, can they quit working for you and take a job with a competitor?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Runner
08-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
shovels and flashlights....for digging tunnels of course

No doubt!
I don't believe in this, because all people are doing with that is outsourcing the jobs to another country. Oh, but they are up here, you say? No, they are not. They keep a little to eat, drink their liquor and smoke their dope, and send the rest of their money down to their people in Mexico. All the while, not paying their taxes on it. Is THAT helping the U.S. economy? No.
I have a great idea. Why don't the companies that want to do this just take their businesses down south of the border and operate? This way, they can get all the foreign labor they want. They could go down and do lawn care for some GM plants or something. Oh, that's right, GM wouldn't pay an American company for hard work done or even help their own people, when they can save a few bucks on foreign help.

NC Scaper
08-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I am with Runner on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBCS
08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I believe the deadline for the new year has passed. Here is a company in Texas that can help. http://www.jandmresources.com/

Norm Al
08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
i find it hard to believe that you cant find a good group of illegals to work in any state?

GBCS
08-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
i find it hard to believe that you cant find a good group of illegals to work in any state?

Just don't be transporting them from one job to the next. :alien:

Tony Clifton
08-15-2004, 04:11 PM
DFW,
I do not know if they can drive or read a mapsco, that is a good question, I know there are several H2B workers that are key employees for landscape co.'s. Many own their own homes and have cars in the US, but they return to Mexico in the off season. No, they can not quit working for you, you filed for their Visa and you could see prison time or serious fines if they are caught working for anybody other than you.
One question, I have read that you are responsible for the housing of these employees,,,is this true?

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2004, 04:18 PM
++++I have read that you are responsible for the housing of these employees,,,is this true?++++

No. I talked to the guy in Dallas that does this service. He said you have to have a place for them to sleep when they get here. But you aren't required to provide housing.

But then again, if they are new here, who's going to rent them an apartment? They have no credit. I guess you'd need to pay cash for a mobile home and deduct the rent from their pay check or something.

++++No, they can not quit working for you, you filed for their Visa and you could see prison time or serious fines if they are caught working for anybody other than you.++++

So basically, even if the going rate for labor is $9/hr here, but they've agreed to work for $6.50 per hour, they're stuck? They have absolutely no power to negotiate pay once they're here? You can constantly threaten deportation? Is that the way this works?

Sounds eerily similar to slavery.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Turf Medic
08-15-2004, 04:22 PM
You can find companies advertising in the back of several of the green industry magazines, that will help you get H2B employees. You are not required to provide housing, but a lot of the bigger companies help line up housing as one of the benifits, I think some of them also provide transportation. THey are required to go back to Mexico every year to keep their H2B status. They can quit and go back to Mexico, not sure if they can quit and go to work for another company. Contrary to popular belief they are required to pay income taxes and social security.

Oldtimer
08-15-2004, 04:45 PM
There is a tree farm in this area with 10 Mexican workers. The workers started complaining about wanting more money. The owners increased the workers hours and they were happy because, now, they were making more money.

Try that with the average worker from this country.

Oldtimer

HighGrass
08-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by GreenDream
Does anyone know how to get guys from mexico on a ten month visa? I think it is called h2b program. And who would I contact to get the guys up to the northeast?

Dare I ask...have ya tried any local guys?

Turf Medic
08-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
++++I have read that you are responsible for the housing of these employees,,,is this true?++++

No. I talked to the guy in Dallas that does this service. He said you have to have a place for them to sleep when they get here. But you aren't required to provide housing.

But then again, if they are new here, who's going to rent them an apartment? They have no credit. I guess you'd need to pay cash for a mobile home and deduct the rent from their pay check or something.

++++No, they can not quit working for you, you filed for their Visa and you could see prison time or serious fines if they are caught working for anybody other than you.++++

So basically, even if the going rate for labor is $9/hr here, but they've agreed to work for $6.50 per hour, they're stuck? They have absolutely no power to negotiate pay once they're here? You can constantly threaten deportation? Is that the way this works?

Sounds eerily similar to slavery.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

A couple of things, they can quit any time they want, they would not be able to legally get another job, as the H2B certificate belongs to the employer not the employee. Not sure if they are allowed to go to another employer that has H2B certificate that isn't totally filled. As far as slave wages, the government regulates the wages, you are not going to get budget labor, you are required to pay the prevailing wage for your area. The government requires this to prevent the immigrant labor pool from reducing the prevailing wage in the area. This appears to be somewhat highly regulated, you can provide the employees with housing and food, but you are limited to the amount per day you can charge back to them.

HOOLIE
08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Runner
No doubt!
I don't believe in this, because all people are doing with that is outsourcing the jobs to another country. Oh, but they are up here, you say? No, they are not. They keep a little to eat, drink their liquor and smoke their dope, and send the rest of their money down to their people in Mexico. All the while, not paying their taxes on it. Is THAT helping the U.S. economy? No.
I have a great idea. Why don't the companies that want to do this just take their businesses down south of the border and operate? This way, they can get all the foreign labor they want. They could go down and do lawn care for some GM plants or something. Oh, that's right, GM wouldn't pay an American company for hard work done or even help their own people, when they can save a few bucks on foreign help.

I agree with you Runner, but the fact remains that most Americans thumb their nose at doing this kind of work, at least in my area.

What I would do, stand on our side of the border with a lasso and reel 'em in. Have your truck and trailer waiting, ready to go.

Ryan Lightning
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
The mexican population is over 50% in my county, I shouldnt have any problems when i need the help. They will work cheap but they want lots of hours.

premier lawn care
08-15-2004, 07:34 PM
If they quit they must return to Mexico, within so many days. 6.75 is the prevaling wage, here for this type of work. I get a kick out of reading how ignorant some of the members are on this board. We need these people in our line of work. They work harder, faster, longer, and w/ less pay. If you choose to hire illegals, then yes you are cheating our economy, but H2Bs pay taxes! I have 17 mexican workers working for me and I would not trade one of them for a lazy American. I'm proud to be an American, but we are unmotivated when it comes to hard work and low pay!

SCAG POWER
08-15-2004, 09:12 PM
H2B WORKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT KERSHAW, P. C. Runs an add in a green industry mag.

In apopka Florida we just go down to the wash house and ask any need money this week???????:alien:

Ferngolf
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Be careful about who you hire to do you paperwork. We hired a company in the back of a magazine a few years ago. He had one of the bigger ads and seemed reputable. However, his service only got us to the point where we were accepted into the program. We had to arrange for everything else after we were approved. There is alot to do after approvals. Get the guys an an interview with the local consulate, let the guys know about the meeting, fill out local paperwork for the visa, etc. Needless to say it was a mess.
The next year we looked into it much further, knowing more about the process and what needed to be done. We found a woman named Luisa who actually travels to the different countries, makes the appointments with the consulate, meets with the guys before the meeting with the consulate, fills out their paperwork, AND GOES INTO THE MEETING AS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE. Its the best service out there, and it doesnt cost any more than the other companies. She takes care of everything from start to finish. All we do is sign the papers she FedEx's to us, and send them back on a timely fashion. She does the rest.
Some of the guys have questions during the year, they call her up and get them answered. She speaks both English and Spanish. One of our guys was having a baby in April, he called Luisa and learned that he could travel back to Costa Rica as often as he needed during his 10 months here.
Email me at ferngolf@optonline.net and I will pass along Luisas cell phone number. We justed signed our paperwork for next year.
Good luck

Liberty Lawncare
08-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by HighGrass
Dare I ask...have ya tried any local guys?
Well have you????
Hire someone who already lives in the USA do everyone a favor dont bring over any more.

DennisF
08-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by premier lawn care
If they quit they must return to Mexico, within so many days. 6.75 is the prevaling wage, here for this type of work. I get a kick out of reading how ignorant some of the members are on this board. We need these people in our line of work. They work harder, faster, longer, and w/ less pay. If you choose to hire illegals, then yes you are cheating our economy, but H2Bs pay taxes! I have 17 mexican workers working for me and I would not trade one of them for a lazy American. I'm proud to be an American, but we are unmotivated when it comes to hard work and low pay!

If you are so proud to be an American...why don't you pay your H2B's a real Americans' wages. How do you expect an American or anyone else for that matter to support a family on $6.75 an hour. Face it... you're taking advantage of cheap labor. By the way, hard work should be rewarded with higher wages, not lower pay. Your post defies belief. Work harder for less pay? That must mean if I work less I'll get paid more. NOT!