PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest complaint with commercial?

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't have any commercial customers (yet) and I was just wondering...for those who have full service commercial clients, what is the biggest complaint you have with them?

Here is a laundry list of complaints (in no particular order) that I have with residential customers:

1.) Toys all over the lawn
2.) Water hoses left laying in the lawn
3.) Customers applying fertilizers themselves at 10X the recommended rates
4.) Customers won't prune low hanging branches
5.) Trampolenes / Swing sets / Hammocks / Clothes lines
6.) Getting stiffed on payments
7.) They won't sign long term (12 mo minimum contracts) and they'll fire you at the drop of a hat
8.) You often show up to find new obstacles to mow around (new swing sets, new hammocks, new trees/plants, etc.)
9.) You often find little messes that you are obviously expected to clean up, like a pile of dead flowering annuals laying in the lawn or a few small branches or leaves, etc.

So, what are the biggest complaints with commercial clients?

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

Precision
08-15-2004, 01:34 PM
One pita commercial thought I was her beck and call slave. She went the way of yesterday's paper.

Other than that, mine are low contact, low maintenance, and generally happy that they have a guy who shows up, does good work and lets them know of issues that are developing.

Fantasy Lawns
08-15-2004, 02:04 PM
30 days net fore some

Norm Al
08-15-2004, 02:12 PM
the only complaint that the average guy would have with commercial is that they have no loyalty! typicly they will ***** out the contract each year,,,,,where as a residential typicly doesnt like change!

CamLand
08-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Fantasy Lawns
30 days net fore some

I have a corporation that has 45 days...

HOOLIE
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
the only complaint that the average guy would have with commercial is that they have no loyalty! typicly they will ***** out the contract each year,,,,,where as a residential typicly doesnt like change!

Ditto there. Most of the HOAs I've dealt with in the past, they have it in the by-laws to bid it out every 2 or 3 years. And they usually go with the lowest bidder, no matter how happy they have been with you. Or if they do keep you, the new board president turns out to be some a-hole, who is still holding a grudge since he lost the election for sophomore class president, and acts like he's running some small kingdom.

Green Care
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM

What I do is cut around things let them I don't work with local moving company.

BCSteel
08-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Biggest complaint is with new managment either in house or with the managment company. The worst is young guys running the managment company who like to try and power trip on you or the really old guys in the building who have nothing better to do than invent problems.

premier lawn care
08-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm one of the largest cutters in Central Texas and 90% of our work is commercial lawn maintenance. My only complaint is that I still have 10% residential. I have, maybe, 5 contracts and have not lost a customer in quite some time. Alot of you guys and some locals want contracts for every little thing. If you do good work, show up when you say you will, and jump when the customer needs you, you will retain most of your clients. Now, apartments and anything with a management company needs a contract. They are out to save money anyway possible! Even it means screwing you!

Up North
08-15-2004, 09:24 PM
All but one of my accounts are commercial. I'm part time for the season moving into full time next year. But as far as my commercial accounts, they are great. Never a problem with collection on invoices, I usually bill every other week and I normally get a check within two weeks of issuing the invoice.

Buck