PDA

View Full Version : Look What I Uncovered -

jerryrwm
08-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I thought I would post these pics of a leak that we went out to fix.a while back.
It was on a Park Strip and they said we have a leak in the irrigation system. This is what we uncovered.

There are two Weathermatic 2" valves, and the piping is 2" Mainline and laterals.

See if you can count the fittings the last nimrod used to plumb this thing in. There are 15 - 2" elbows and 3 - 2" tees (One is actually used as a coupling - see tee with the cap on it.)

Where was the leak? At the bottom tee on the upstream side of the valves. The ground had shifted apparently and since Mr. Nimrod had not used proper cementing techinques, it came apart. No break, just slipped out.

This was about 10 Mn Hrs to fix. (Well 15 if you count all the time I spent running this thing around to the supply houses showing off my trophy!) I even posted a picture of it in the supply house offering a $25.00 reward to anyone who would own up to doing it. No takers!

I have always said that dirt covers a multitude of sins and this is a good example. There have been others onthis same property but this one was unique. I just wondered how big that doobie was that he smoked before doing the work!!

Anyone else have some goodies that have made you scratch your head in amazement?

jerryrwm
08-15-2004, 03:52 PM
This is the hole as we are getting closer.

jerryrwm
08-15-2004, 03:55 PM
This is after we got it dug out. Picture is from either side of the hole.

jerryrwm
08-15-2004, 03:56 PM
One more of the hole and me at the supply house. Looks like a trohpy deer rack doesn't it?

Post your pics if you have 'em.

koster_irrigation
08-15-2004, 06:04 PM
could you tell if the joint had bottomed out in the fitting? ive seen a few instances where joints have not completely been pushed together and have later blown out....

GrassBustersLawn
08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Looks like an entry to a RUBE GOLDBERG contest!

Mike

jerryrwm
08-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by koster_irrigation
could you tell if the joint had bottomed out in the fitting? ive seen a few instances where joints have not completely been pushed together and have later blown out....

The fitting had been cemented all the way in, but there was no sign of any type of primer, cleaner, and damn little cement. It was just a poor job of repair that finally gave way after a couple years. I am surprised that they got it to hold as long as it did.

That fact is the reason that I use Christy's Red Hot on most repairs, and Wet-or-Dry as my standard cement. Don't carry any clear cement on the truck. Might cost a little more, but I don't have near as many problems with repairs blowing out as some of the other folks.

Jerry R

DanaMac
08-15-2004, 06:30 PM
One of my supply houses here (Ewing) has the mother of all manifolds. I will try to get a picture sometime.

Here are a couple pics of a manifold "repair" that I had to take care of. Some kind of "liquid PVC?" poured all around the manifold tee to repair a leak.

DanaMac
08-15-2004, 06:31 PM
One more. Was probably a homeowner special. Not sure how long it had been like this. This homeowner hadn't done it.

SprinklerGuy
08-16-2004, 12:13 PM
what about this one:

Tvov
08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jerryrwm
One more of the hole and me at the supply house. Looks like a trohpy deer rack doesn't it?

Post your pics if you have 'em.

LOL :laugh:

Shouldn't he also be holding the shovel that he got the trophy with??

Grassmechanic
08-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by SprinklerGuy
what about this one: Good God Almighty! I would never have been able to take that picture, due to my laughter everytime I looked through the camera lens.

jerryrwm
08-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Tony,

'Bout all I could say about that one is that they were pretty straight and evenly spaced. Oops, the top valve was a little out of line.

Someone put a lot of effort in that set up.

Good one.

I have a couple more pictures in the archives somewhere that I will look for this week.

Come on guys, keep 'em coming.

Jerry

i_plant_art
08-17-2004, 01:08 AM
I dont have any pics of them but instead of using valve boxes i have found some valve side mayonaise jars, and then some inside of 2 liter coke bottle...... it was hilarious to dig that up i should have taken pics but i wasnt in a good part of town so i didnt want to move around to much to go after a camera i just wanted to get the fix done and get outta there...

Critical Care
08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Well... maybe we need to expand our horizons guys, and just consider this "thing" that jerryrwm is holding is nothing more than 3-dimensional irrigation. We've been thinking 2-dimensional too long.

RonR
09-04-2004, 11:12 AM
My guess is whoever installed this never planned to dig it up!

All that effort and he didn't want to pop for a plastic box to cover his masterpiece, geeze!

ron