PDA

View Full Version : My new chain stripe kit.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Heres the kit.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Another view......

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Now lets start cutting!

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:35 AM
I was under a tree and got a bad white balance on this shot. I was cutting the lawn at 7pm but it wasn't this dark.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
You can see how having the chain behind the wheels helps smoothen out the tire marks. I'm trying to eliminate tire marks in my stripes.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm going for the even colored stripes. No darker on the end stripes due to the tires.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Thats all I took that day but I'll post more this week when i cut the lawn again.

Let me know what you guys think and as always thanks for looking.

Edgar.

The C Man
08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
That's a home made kit, correct? What'd it cost you to put it together? Did you make the chains short enough so they won't catch under the drive wheels when you back up?

Haven't seen one that wide before so it's a little different looking but I like the thought you put into it re: covering up the tire tracks.

KathysLGC
08-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes it's home made. I redid it. If you look at my other post you'll see the previous one was between the wheels (31" I think) but I used a very cheap brace to hold the chain on. You'll see the begining pics of this kit and how I was checking the chain length near the tires. The chains are basicaly 5/16 chain. The chains on the ends are new. Since I went wider i need about 25-30 new pieces. Behind the tires the chain is 8 links long and the rest is 9 links long. I forget the length but it was easier to measure, then tell the guy at home cheapo to give me so and so in 8 links etc.

The ends are very sharp so i put foam on the tips so i would hit my leg on it.

I'm sure if i had to buy everything all ay once it'd be close to $100.

tiedeman
08-16-2004, 10:45 PM
how much of a difference was without and with? Do you have some before stripe pics?

EastProLawn
08-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Nice kit and good looking stripes....

Cod
08-17-2004, 05:17 AM
Nice little kit you have there. Also, like others have said, great looking stripes.

darkshadow
08-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Did you buy your materials from mcmaster.com?

I found the following at mcmaster.com:

trade size 5/16" | .333 diameter (slightly thicker than 5/16" <.315>) Grade 40 Steel
chain links $1.32/foot - Page 1243. Need around 50 feet you think?

S Hooks for $2 a pack of 25 (need 2 probably) - Page 1276.

3 foot / 6 foot piece of perforated angle iron $3.80 / $7.68 - Page 3377.

I'm thinking about making a kit like yours. I figure ordering online is cheaper than Home Depot or Lowe's if you know exactly what you need.

Also, if the foam insert things you put on the edge start falling off anytime soon, a 5 minute file job or 30 seconds with a grinder will take care of those sharp edges no problem. :)

KathysLGC
08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
how much of a difference was without and with? Do you have some before stripe pics? Tideman i wish i did do a before and after shot. It would of been nice to give a side by side comparison. My other thread has a few before pics of the old kit (between the wheels).
I do notice a differance in the stripes with the total length. I might cut back about an inch off each side because it looks like the ends can be hit easy by going around trees.

imograss
08-17-2004, 07:28 PM
I like the chain kits to.

ProStreetCamaro
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Nice set up but is it me or does it look like his mower cuts like tottal crap?

KathysLGC
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ProStreetCamaro
It's you. If your refering to the first few pics you can obviously see the grass is not cut....

ProStreetCamaro
08-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Playboy
It's you. If your refering to the first few pics you can obviously see the grass is not cut....

Look at the ares that were cut! It looks all shaggy and nasty. If it were me that mower would drive off a bridge!

DUSTYCEDAR
08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
NICE USE OF DEXEYON

LawnBoy89
08-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Can you tell us how to do that, PLEASE!!! I would love one of those, it looks like it works great! Good job!

KathysLGC
08-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Look at the ares that were cut! It looks all shaggy and nasty. If it were me that mower would drive off a bridge!

Ok now take a good look at the grass and you'll see it's not a perfect lawn. My first step was to manage all the weeds and now i will begin with the grass.

drsogr
08-20-2004, 10:37 PM

I am with you on this one, no offense but I really don't think it looks all that great. I like the way all the chains look on the mower....think I could do that for the back of my truck?!

dcondon
08-20-2004, 11:01 PM
nice work playboy. Hope it works out well for you!!!:)

ProStreetCamaro
08-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Ok now take a good look at the grass and you'll see it's not a perfect lawn. My first step was to manage all the weeds and now i will begin with the grass.

The striping kit looks great and I really wasnt cutting on you. It just looks like the mower itself doesnt cut cleanly. Its all ragged and shaggy looking. I have heard that the older ferris mower's didnt cut as good as some of the other mowers. If I were to cut that with my lazer it would be a nice clean cut.

KathysLGC
08-22-2004, 04:23 PM
I see what your what saying. This is a 99 Model Ferris. I am cutting pretty high. I will switch to 3" and show you how clean it can cut. This lawn looks like it was seeded by hand. There are thick clups of grass is certain areas and then thin grass in others. I will most likey slit seed this with a blue grass/fecue blend. I know it's my lawn because I've done some real nice jobs in the past for customers.

At first i thought I was getting flamed for no reason but then looking at the pics i could see why you guys come to that assumption and i like that you wheren't scared to mention it because sometime others can see things you can't. I will post pics again at 3" this week and tell me what you think.

Thanks

ProStreetCamaro
08-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I see what your what saying. This is a 99 Model Ferris. I am cutting pretty high. I will switch to 3" and show you how clean it can cut. This lawn looks like it was seeded by hand. There are thick clups of grass is certain areas and then thin grass in others. I will most likey slit seed this with a blue grass/fecue blend. I know it's my lawn because I've done some real nice jobs in the past for customers.

At first i thought I was getting flamed for no reason but then looking at the pics i could see why you guys come to that assumption and i like that you wheren't scared to mention it because sometime others can see things you can't. I will post pics again at 3" this week and tell me what you think.

Thanks

I could tell that it was cut pretty high. No mower that I know of does a super job when it is set high. I will be watching for the shorter cut pics! I am sure they will look great! Here are some pics with our 48" Lazer z hp. The mower has about 1,600 hours on it when these pics were taken and no striping kit. They were cut at 3 1/4".

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p9be4ac30644d639c3a8cdd2d42f3163d/f8c14267.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p04ccd744b0f58794cbc0a5b3b7efff95/f8c1426d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pa1ec06fa83602f2c4723f34eef9ed315/f8c14271.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pfd61f447af33a59a9916b324fdd35950/f8c14277.jpg

PROCUT1
08-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I still dont understand the need for all these "striping kits"....Is is mainly for a certain area of the country or for a certain kind of grass?>.......I have never had a problem with stripes with any mower.

KathysLGC
08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by PROCUT1
I still dont understand the need for all these "striping kits"....Is is mainly for a certain area of the country or for a certain kind of grass?>.......I have never had a problem with stripes with any mower.

My mower striped pretty good with out a kit but I made one to see if the stripes would be more defined and there are. I am also going for the no tire mare stripe which with out a kit is basicaly impossible.

Williston
06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
I am working on a chain kit for my tractor. I'm getting very good results, but I'm trying to get the stripes a little more "defined". Does it matter how many links are actually dragging on the ground? Right now the chains are 11 links each and about 4-5 drag on the ground. Also does the weight/size of the chain make much difference?
The chain links are good size, but since they don't all drag on the ground I didn't think it was really necessary to get the biggest they sell. I have some room for adjustment (more links dragging). Thanks! (I'll get my slip and post the size of the links if that info is important.)