PDA

View Full Version : seeding/round up

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-16-2004, 08:48 AM
well the directions are not to helpful ,,how long to sliceseed after i use round up ?is 21 days enuogh i would like to seed the firtst of sept??/

Grassmechanic
08-16-2004, 09:02 AM
21 days is more than enough. I hydroseeded a lawn the next day after spraying roundup. That was a little over 3 weeks ago. The owner is going to mow this week.

DiscoveryLawn
08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Grassmechanic is right. I think the lable calls for 7 days or so but I have had consistant success seeding the next day.
Its your call.

David

trying 2b organic
08-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Wow good info, can u guys comment on the Roundup, wait to see what comes up, Roundup again then seed. Is the second hit unnessasary from you experience? Do you have any weeds comming up in the new grass? ty again for you personal experience, it will save me time down the road and its good for the customer too, why make them have a totally dead lawn for a week or weeks if its not needed.

Grassmechanic
08-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes ,you'll get some weeds coming up, but if you use a good quality seed (I use 100% certified KBG), the grass will compete pretty good with the weeds. After the grass has established (usually 8 -10 weeks), I'll apply a broadleaf herbicide at the lowest rate to take out the existing weeds, then follow up in the spring with a regular fert. program, including pre and post emergent herbicides.

SWD
08-17-2004, 09:00 AM
I have applied glyosphate (round-up), waited ten days, did a second application then seeded/fert while the glyosphate was still wet. Area came in very well.
Glyosphate is a systemic herbicide, so it will not affect seeds.

trying 2b organic
08-18-2004, 01:23 AM
That makes perfect sence and even though I understand how glyphosphate works I hadnt thought of it that way. Very helpful info, ty :blob1:

NC Big Daddy
08-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by SWD
I have applied glyosphate (round-up), waited ten days, did a second application then seeded/fert while the glyosphate was still wet. Area came in very well.
Glyosphate is a systemic herbicide, so it will not affect seeds.

Done it a million times. Knowing how a product works is a wonderful thing.

tremor
08-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Ive seeded into weedy turf, then sprayed the Roundup over the seed. No problems.

IndyPropertyCare
08-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Im curious about those of you who are having this "great" success of turf growth after applying >round-up<(2 4 D)....What kind of soil prep are you doing ? Hydro-seeding....Are you just spraying it on ? any soil prep ? Im just curious, maybe Im missing something...not trying to be a doubting Thomas, just curious.

osc
08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Roundup does not have 2-4-d in it unless you put it there. That would be a different scenario for seeding.

Scooby1
08-22-2004, 12:38 PM
For what it's worth. Here in the UK I do reseeding for people with very small fields (we call them paddocks but that means something different to you guys I think). i.e. 1-2 acres, usually what I call "horsey-culture" for townies.

I spray and then rotavate to get a good tilth.

I usually spray Roundup Biactive since I have had problems spraying ordinary Glyphosate (which is quite cheap here in the U.K.) I have had situations when I have sprayed normal glyphosate, then rotavated, and have suffered a total failure. This has happened more than once so my rule now is Biactive.

Best wishes from the UK - Scooby1

ArizPestWeed
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
What is biactive ???

SWD
08-22-2004, 02:19 PM
2,4-D has a waiting period of at least 45 days from application to reseeding. Unless the temperature is so high, above 85*F that the 2,4-D volitizes.
2,4-D is a petroleum based herbicide and all gylosphate is, is a translocatable salt.
Half lives, duration in the soil, and the type of soil all play a part with 2,4-D, but not glyosphate.

greenerpastures
08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
On our ag sprays, we spray glyphosate after seeding until spiking. Never a problem.---but if you spray once spiking begins, prepare to replant. I have seen dicamba (banvel, trimec ingredient) really ding emergence of grasses when applied prior to planting.

trying 2b organic
08-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Greener I like you technique for getting a good crop without weeds. What kind of grass are you using, here we use straight P. Ryegrass so since the germination is within 4 days I guess there would be no need to go back for a second app of Roundup before spiking. What do you think? If I was using one of the grasses that takes longer to germinate I would definatly do that, good idea.
Also, I know ill check the label, but 45 days?? for 2 -4d really? Is that one of the reasons you use a glyphosphate total kill instead of using a 3 way and then re-seeding? I assume so because otherwise I dont see the benifit to killing everything then reseeding vrs just killing the weeds and re-seeding. ty :blob1:

Runner
08-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Believe it or not, Roundup over top of seed will actually speed up the germination rate. The only exception would be with annual rye, and the glyphostae is put down after that 3-4 day startup stage. That would kill any new seedlings.

Grassmechanic
08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic
here we use straight P. Ryegrass so since the germination is within 4 days I use 100% KBG. The improved varieties will germinate in 6-9 days.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-25-2004, 09:11 AM
well i slice seeded on sunday ,we have had 2 days of slow rain ,i have some germanation wow im happy i used 90/10 mix of bluegrass/rye its gonna look great hehe no weeds yet ill treat for weeds next season i stole another trugreen lawn now i have 140 lawns ending my 2nd season ,slower growth than i thought

muddstopper
08-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by tremor
Ive seeded into weedy turf, then sprayed the Roundup over the seed. No problems.

I hope this isnt bullsh*t. I have a lawn I have been trying to prep for a week, durn rain has made it a mudhole. I was considering spraying roundup and then hydroseeding. I Have sprayed roundup the day before seeding with out any problems but never right before seeding. Are you saying that roundup wont hurt ungerminated seeds or kill the seeds right after germination if sprayed right after or right before seeding?

tremor
08-25-2004, 10:02 PM
The Glyphosate salts act like Phosphorous in that the seed coat breaks quicker so the seed absorbs water more completely. No bull. I've soaked Per Rye seed in garbage cans (clean & new) in a 2% Roundup solution overnight & seeded the next day. The seed pops in 48 hours. I've tried for years to try to get a Hydroseeder to try it but no dice. They rarely have a 3A license anyway & the use is off label so...........

That's why Roundup stinks for a baredirt herbicide as a stand alone. Weed seeds pop faster too.

greenerpastures
08-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Glyphosate will not hurt the seed. Tremor even suggests it aids as a catalyst. But if the germinating seed's shoot or root is exposed to the spray(direct contact), you probably will have some damage.

2B- My comments on glyphosate after seeding referred to a new installation or seeding, not any type of established turf.