PDA

View Full Version : Leaf removal rates and setups?

FrankenScagMachines
08-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Just curious what rates and equipment everyone will be using this fall.

So far i've got:
Reduction/Collection devices:
Ferris 52Ē with Gator blades and vac bagger and front mount tine rake/dethatcher to loosen leaves
Exmark 36Ē with Gator blades and mulch plate and side catcher
Lawn Boy 21Ē with mulching plate and jumbo leaf bag

Relocation devices:
Echo PB650T backpack blower
Kawasaki KRB400B backpack blower

Truck loading devices:
5hp vacuum with 6Ē hoses

Hauling device:
F350 truck with 8'x12' flatbed with a leaf box (not yet built)

And I'm trying to buy these things, but having a hard time getting the owners to communicate with me! :
10hp Billy Goat push blower
11hp Giant Vac leaf loader with 8Ē hoses for truck

Kelly's Landscaping
08-16-2004, 04:27 PM
27hp lazer 60 inch with trac vac and leaf plow

20 hp lazer 44 inch for the smaller lawns

20 hp giant vac truck loader 12 inch hose

two 10 hp giant vac blowers

one 13 hp giant vac blower

6 br 420 stihl back packs

gmc v3500 rack with box 8 x 11 x 6

were going to be adding a 16 hp giant vac 10 inch hose swing away truck loader and a 4th truck a 3500 mason dump 2005 dodge ram.

Then theres the 2 rams pulling trailers as we will be running 2 clean up crews this season.

As for rate depending on if I like you 35-40 dollars an hour plus dump.

Fareway Lawncare
08-16-2004, 04:36 PM
$35 to $40 per man hr. sounds Low w/all that Equipment....I can send a guy out w/rake for $25.....

Bring in the Big Toys & it jumps to $100 Plus....

walker-talker
08-16-2004, 05:03 PM
I will use a Redmax (recently purchased) to blow out all beds. Pick up majority with Walker mower. Put on the spring tine dethatcher to pick up what has worked down and pick up whatever loose stuff. I then dump and pick with leaf loader. Eric, go with the biggest hp you can afford on your leaf loader. I have the Lesco 16hp and it does ok, but definetely wished I could have afforded something larger. Here is a pic of my truck and loader, for those have not seen it. It sures needs a paint job, but runs fine. I charge right around $60 to $75 and hour for leaf removal.

mkwl
08-16-2004, 05:12 PM
The following is what I use to do leaf cleanups: ( I love all my equipment!!!!!!!!!!)

'04 48", 15 HP Bob-Cat mower w/ hi lift blades and Grass Gobbler.

'03 10 Hp Little Wonder blower

'89 8 HP Mighty Mac blower

'97 Stihl BR320 back pack blower

Some rakes, tarps and my trailer

odin
08-16-2004, 05:13 PM
lazer z hp 52 with ultra vac
toro555 with 3 bagger
toro 557 with 3bagger
21 incxh mower for some back fenced in lawns ..mulch em bagg the excess

echo blower's and soon my first redmax blower ...got the puppy on order now
one ton dumps with side planks

city lots with a maple or two in them ..charge double mow every week ..and 20 dollars a utra vac full of debrie.Very few of these type lawns take over 20 or 30 minutes.

Big lots with a lot of bed's and tons of leaves they get charged 80 a man hour.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Id love to charge more but they freak at those prices its what my market will bare. I make up for it though with larger crews so the hours rack up rather fast.

mdb landscaping
08-16-2004, 06:04 PM
heres what we use:

3- little wonder push blowers (2 9hp hondas, and one 13hp honda)
1- 16hp billy goat walkbehind blower
6- sthil br420 backpacks
2- 60 inch scag turf tigers with spindle driven baggers
1- f350 with box and 16hp giant vac sucker
1- gmc 6000 with box and tow behind 40 something horsepower tarco sucker.

GrassBustersLawn
08-16-2004, 06:42 PM
FSM

I would think that an 11hp loader might be TOO SMALL to do the job. I have talked with people that used them and was told they clogged alot. (FYI - Reynolds Farm Equip in FISHERS, IN has a used 11hp Billy Goat for sale. I looked at it last week, but am afraid of it being to small. (Why did previous owner get rid of it?)).

KELLYS - Do you ever clog up your 20hp????

MDB ---- D@MN! Your trailer unit is like pulling out the NUCLEAR ARSENAL on those leaves! They probably just hop right in your truck when they see you pull up with that thing!

MIKE

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I have:

- shindaiwa EB630 BP
- 61" Stander with hilift and GrassHawg doubles, soon to have an Accelerator catcher
- a 36" Toro with doubles and a bag catcher

I mainly mulch up the leaves with 2 passes then bag what ever is left over.

Derek

Kelly's Landscaping
08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
No GrassBuster the 20 does not clog its a beast nearly blew my box apart the first day we used it we had to race back and tripple the vents. When I did the math after I saw the mistake it worked out to the Vac filling the leaf box with air every 6 seconds thats a lot of air flow. It also pulled one of my guys off his feet and tryed to eat him.

punt66
10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Id love to charge more but they freak at those prices its what my market will bare. I make up for it though with larger crews so the hours rack up rather fast.

Im in CT as well and get around $125 per hour on cleanups. I do $85 per hour mowing. Your way low my friend. If you are charging by the hour not the job then thats probably the issue. If i told a custome i charge by the hour at $125hr they would freak. But if i spend 2.5hrs and charge $300 for a cleanup they dont have a problem with it. Its the going rate.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-19-2008, 11:06 AM
this thread was last posted to in 2004.....

ALC-GregH
10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
this thread was last posted to in 2004.....

thats great. Someone is actually using the search feature. WOW.... :) Then again, it's only punt tooting his horn again. :D

White Gardens
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm in CT as well and get around $125 per hour on cleanups. I do $85 per hour mowing. Your way low my friend. If you are charging by the hour not the job then that's probably the issue. If i told a customer i charge by the hour at $125hr they would freak. But if i spend 2.5hrs and charge $300 for a cleanup they don't have a problem with it. Its the going rate.

It all depends on your area and cost of living. Sure, If you live in an area where nobody has the time or effort to do their cleanup, then sure, you can charge ungodly prices for cleanups.

Most guys around here complain that they can't make any money on cleanups and only offer it to their customers that they already mow, or do maintenance on. It's just way too blue collared around here, and people know there is always a Crack-Head, or young kid looking to make a couple bucks with a rake. :hammerhead:

Don't worry Punt, I fixed your spelling mistakes, :waving:

punt66
10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
thats great. Someone is actually using the search feature. WOW.... :) Then again, it's only punt tooting his horn again. :D

$40 an hour is ok with you too? You would do a fall cleanup for $80?? Im not tuting my own horn im telling you people to raise your prices and stop destroying the markets. Your in business not an employee. Aubtract your expenses and your not making anything. You guys want to work for pennies have at it. Actually i will sub all my work to you for $40 an hour. Interested?

jpp
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Im in CT as well and get around $125 per hour on cleanups. I do $85 per hour mowing. Your way low my friend. If you are charging by the hour not the job then thats probably the issue. If i told a custome i charge by the hour at $125hr they would freak. But if i spend 2.5hrs and charge $300 for a cleanup they dont have a problem with it. Its the going rate.

It was pointed out already but I will do it again. This post is from 2004 the thread is 4 years old and the person you quoted has not be on the forum since 10/31/05.

So with that being said I am sure he charges more now than back then and remember markets for pricing is different than your area.

JP

RLLServicesCT
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Punt,
Your right in Simsbury, just down the road from me about 25 mins, where do you dump your truck? How much is it costing you there? Also, do you vac all accounts, or only the ones where the city doesnt provide tax paid vac of leaves?

Kglenn04
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
44" in Toro
RedMax
cut and blow ya?
mayeven pack the yard vac to make it look good.... second thought maybe not

Kglenn04
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
$40 an hour is ok with you too? You would do a fall cleanup for $80?? Im not tuting my own horn im telling you people to raise your prices and stop destroying the markets. Your in business not an employee. Aubtract your expenses and your not making anything. You guys want to work for pennies have at it. Actually i will sub all my work to you for $40 an hour. Interested?

how much do you charge Punt66

STIHL GUY
10-19-2008, 08:30 PM
48'' Bobcat/Ransomes WB
Steel Grass Catcher
STIHL BR 340 Backpack blower
Giant Vac 5 HP Walk Behind Blower
Ford Ranger With Leaf Box

lawn crafters
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
lesco 36 wb w/ rackem catcher
redmax 8001
echo pb413
4x6 trailer w/4ft sides

charge 45$ hr/per man
withe a 2 person crew, at approximetly 2hr per clean up

Kglenn04
10-19-2008, 10:04 PM
lesco 36 wb w/ rackem catcher
redmax 8001
echo pb413
4x6 trailer w/4ft sides

charge 45$ hr/per man
withe a 2 person crew, at approximetly 2hr per clean up

I like that you added your price its helpful for the new guys

corey4671
10-19-2008, 10:22 PM
It was pointed out already but I will do it again. This post is from 2004 the thread is 4 years old and the person you quoted has not be on the forum since 10/31/05.

So with that being said I am sure he charges more now than back then and remember markets for pricing is different than your area.

JP

...or he's out of busniness :laugh:

corey4671
10-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I try to mulch as many leaves as possible... I KNOW I KNOW...you northeast guys can't get away with that. Down here we can. At least I can. I have yards where there is thick coverage, but most of those are lots that are large enough that I can spread it out. AS far as equipment I have
25hp 60" Everride Warrior w/Gator Blades and XL Accelerator
19hp 34" Everride Scorpion FX w/Gator Blades and Accelerator
13hp LIttle Wonder Blower
Wonder Hitch to mount Little Wonder on Warrior
Stihl BR 600
I have also discovered that I can use my KM110 with the blower attachment to clean gutters. That blower is surprisingly stout. I had bought the gutter kit for my BG 85 handheld a couple of years ago and it came with an adapter that I saved thankfully. Fits PERFECTLY on the end of the KM Blower!
I have an Agri Fab Mow n Vac that I can hook to the Warrior, but it's so cumbersome to manuver arond most of my yards and it takes up a TON of space on the trailer. IF the leaves are so thick that I need to pick them up, I mulch them as much as possible and then put on the Accelerator.
I try to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $75-$90/hr solo.

integrityman
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Price depends on the size of the yard. Typically I double or triple the price of a standard cut. I too like to mulch as much as possible. I blow out the leaves from in the flower beds, I then grind them with my Q36 running double OEM and Gator blades (Gators on top) then I go back over and bag them. Typically no residue left. Initial grind really reduces them so bagging doesnt take much time. Experience a fair bit of blowout out though while running doubles.

corey4671
10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Price depends on the size of the yard. Typically I double or triple the price of a standard cut. I too like to mulch as much as possible. I blow out the leaves from in the flower beds, I then grind them with my Q36 running double OEM and Gator blades (Gators on top) then I go back over and bag them. Typically no residue left. Initial grind really reduces them so bagging doesnt take much time. Experience a fair bit of blowout out though while running doubles.

I agree on the issue of blowout with doubles. I have a baffle I can install with the Warrior. If I run doubles, I feel like I spend all day chasing the leaves instead of mulching them.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Just blowers and mowers for now and tarps and rakes. I would like to purchase a loader sometime though

Kglenn04
10-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Just blowers and mowers for now and tarps and rakes. I would like to purchase a loader sometime though

yeah a loader would be nice

corey4671
10-20-2008, 01:56 AM
yeah a loader would be nice

now I would like to see how you'd use a leaf loader with that MOnte Carlo!

Kglenn04
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
now I would like to see how you'd use a leaf loader with that MOnte Carlo!

hahahaha no im out of that monte now I use a work van and truck

Kelly's Landscaping
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM

This actually pissed me off enough to request lawnsite find my old password I lost so I could respond. Ohhh where to begin this being my first post in 3 years for starters you noticed back then almost no one questioned my rate thatís because 4 years ago that was right in line with most companies some higher some lower I was about average. Today Iím 55-60 per hour you mentioned you get 125 an hour something to the effect you quote them a price and when you finish the job thatís the rate. Well thatís wonderful I myself have not been able to do that since my first season in business. The reason is I have more work then I can do I have no time to waste chasing silly estimates for clean ups. I do not work for any one other then my contracted lawn clients about 100-120 of them will require I do a clean up we simply add them to the list average price works out to around 300 dollars.

I see you list your self as solo I have 2 fulltime employees and my partner. I am not sure what your 125 an hour adds up too but I will share what I am currently making since it was questioned by more then one on this thread. I have 175 accounts I have 500,000 sqft of squirt and fert work. We do pruning mulch seeding about 10000 pounds of lime, and some other light work for the month of October which we are more then half way through we will be grossing slightly more then 35,000 dollars for this one month. Do I still sound like a low baller who ran himself out of business?

Now as for current equipment list for fall

8 br 600s
2 Hydro fradan 18s
2 Giant vac 20 hp vacuums one skid one tow
Fleet of 4 trucks
3 lazers and 1 tthp 36 exmark mowers all with bagging capabilities including 2 trac vacs
2 leaf plows
And all the rest that goes with fall

We run 2 crews I still hate fall the income is less but it is required in our trade. And so it begins again one thing you have an advantage over me is when it begins our leaves tend to stay up 3 weeks longer then mid state, but you only get snow typically 1 week before us so you get 2 more weeks of clean ups then I do.

RLLServicesCT
10-22-2008, 09:14 PM
This actually pissed me off enough to request lawnsite find my old password I lost so I could respond. Ohhh where to begin this being my first post in 3 years for starters you noticed back then almost no one questioned my rate thatís because 4 years ago that was right in line with most companies some higher some lower I was about average. Today Iím 55-60 per hour you mentioned you get 125 an hour something to the effect you quote them a price and when you finish the job thatís the rate. Well thatís wonderful I myself have not been able to do that since my first season in business. The reason is I have more work then I can do I have no time to waste chasing silly estimates for clean ups. I do not work for any one other then my contracted lawn clients about 100-120 of them will require I do a clean up we simply add them to the list average price works out to around 300 dollars.

I see you list your self as solo I have 2 fulltime employees and my partner. I am not sure what your 125 an hour adds up too but I will share what I am currently making since it was questioned by more then one on this thread. I have 175 accounts I have 500,000 sqft of squirt and fert work. We do pruning mulch seeding about 10000 pounds of lime, and some other light work for the month of October which we are more then half way through we will be grossing slightly more then 35,000 dollars for this one month. Do I still sound like a low baller who ran himself out of business?

8 br 600s
2 Hydro fradan 18s
Fleet of 4 trucks
3 lazers and 1 tthp 36 exmark mowers all with bagging capabilities including 2 trac vacs
2 leaf plows

We run 2 crews I still hate fall the income is less but it is required in our trade. And so it begins again one thing you have an advantage over me is when it begins our leaves tend to stay up 3 weeks longer then mid state, but you only get snow typically 1 week before us so you get 2 more weeks of clean ups then I do.

Kelly, How do you like your fradan hydros? i just got the little wonder 13 hp and its great! However I was looking at the fradan 18 hp which was 1100 more but the dealer I looked at was overpriced on everything.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Kelly, How do you like your fradan hydros? i just got the little wonder 13 hp and its great! However I was looking at the fradan 18 hp which was 1100 more but the dealer I looked at was overpriced on everything.

I love it incredible machine well balanced the T handle feels very comfortable and it pivots on the 2 wheels very easily. At age 38 I am done pushing blowers up hills but since iv owned the fradans despite me being better at the backpack work then my boys I use the 18s. Reason is simple any one can use it but if you have the experience the productivity you gain from it is amazing basically I specialize in bulk I move the piles till they cant move then I jump on the lazer with the plow then back too the fradan. You will not be disappointed 4600 cfms and it does 4 mph I believe itís a nice quick walk both directions. I have a giant vac 13 and it gets no use now less then half the power the real interesting bit is it has enough focused power like a br600 to actually break frozen stuff free from the ground none of the other ground blowers I ever used could do that. And its self propelled best of both worlds.

jpp
10-23-2008, 07:19 PM
This actually pissed me off enough to request lawnsite find my old password I lost so I could respond. Ohhh where to begin this being my first post in 3 years for starters you noticed back then almost no one questioned my rate that’s because 4 years ago that was right in line with most companies some higher some lower I was about average. Today I’m 55-60 per hour you mentioned you get 125 an hour something to the effect you quote them a price and when you finish the job that’s the rate. Well that’s wonderful I myself have not been able to do that since my first season in business. The reason is I have more work then I can do I have no time to waste chasing silly estimates for clean ups. I do not work for any one other then my contracted lawn clients about 100-120 of them will require I do a clean up we simply add them to the list average price works out to around 300 dollars.

8 br 600s
2 Hydro fradan 18s
Fleet of 4 trucks
2 leaf plows

First off welcome back to the site. Glad to see you are still in business and were able to come back and post. Sounds like things are going great for you keep up the good work. Nice collection of equipment as well.

JP

Shoot you have more respones this year since when you first posted this.

jpp
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
...or he's out of busniness :laugh:

Turns out he is not out of business. Good for him.

JP

njones
10-24-2008, 08:08 AM
when you pick up with your walker do you just dump it on the ground by the loader

punt66
10-24-2008, 08:47 PM

8 br 600s
2 Hydro fradan 18s
Fleet of 4 trucks
2 leaf plows

All that equipment and manpower and your charging $60hr? With a partner? I guess im missing something. I price the job as the market will bare. I only use the hour figure to make my price. I do better that $60hr for mowing. No way will i add thousands more in equipment and haul and dump leaves for that. Im glad your doing well. I also only do cleanups for mowing customers. Maybe its an area specific thing. I wont even get into expenses to figure out your take on that, you know your numbers and are doing well.

punt66
10-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey Punt,
Your right in Simsbury, just down the road from me about 25 mins, where do you dump your truck? How much is it costing you there? Also, do you vac all accounts, or only the ones where the city doesnt provide tax paid vac of leaves?

There is a farm that take them at $5yd or if i drive another 15min round trip its free. The Garlick farm takes leaves to gover their crop. I dont vac all my properties. Many have areas i can empty my mower. Most lots have woods and i can empty the collection system there. I grab the bag and wing it to spread out the leaves without leaving piles. The leaves are pulverised by the time the gators and the collection system gets them.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Ummm Punt you do realize thatís 60 dollars an hour per man 4x60 means 240 dollars an hour. And I get to dump at the farm next to me for free so no dump costs.

topsites
10-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Most lots have woods and i can empty the collection system there.

Whoa ...
And I think I know what you are talking about that's all right but I did want to take this opportunity to caution anyone
thinking about dumping piles of debris in the woods on some lot that isn't yours or your customer's, watch out!

There isn't a single piece of property in all of the US of A that does not belong to someone,
there is no such thing as an abandoned lot or a place or parcel that is not owned by somebody.

Every single last piece of land and parcel and what have you belongs to either an
individual, a group, a company or a corporation, or the United States Government.

And regardless of who it belongs to, it belongs to somebody, and that somebody owns it.

And neither you nor I nor anyone else is free to dump their yard debris on any
lot that we see fit without the explicit permission of that property's owner(s)!

Because, and I'm not accusing anyone, nor do I care because so long it ain't on my property it's not my problem.
But if someone is just whisking away their debris like say "out by the powerlines" or any other such place that is not cool,
if they catch someone dropping off crap like that, it's considered public dumping and it generally involves a BIG fine.

And one might think the owner of some far out deserted place will never ever know, but I am telling you if this story might have
something to do with things in some case possibly related to an operation you might know a little something about, watch out!

If, for instance I owned a piece of land way out somewhere that I never did anything with...
But I start to seeing garbage piles and I don't care if it's just leaves or brush...
Lawdie lawdie help those who be doing it because I would be watching!
Because it ain't cool, it's against the law and it's not "all right."

Just thought I'd mention this.

punt66
10-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Whoa ...
And I think I know what you are talking about that's all right but I did want to take this opportunity to caution anyone
thinking about dumping piles of debris in the woods on some lot that isn't yours or your customer's, watch out!

There isn't a single piece of property in all of the US of A that does not belong to someone,
there is no such thing as an abandoned lot or a place or parcel that is not owned by somebody.

Every single last piece of land and parcel and what have you belongs to either an
individual, a group, a company or a corporation, or the United States Government.

And regardless of who it belongs to, it belongs to somebody, and that somebody owns it.

And neither you nor I nor anyone else is free to dump their yard debris on any
lot that we see fit without the explicit permission of that property's owner(s)!

Because, and I'm not accusing anyone, nor do I care because so long it ain't on my property it's not my problem.
But if someone is just whisking away their debris like say "out by the powerlines" or any other such place that is not cool,
if they catch someone dropping off crap like that, it's considered public dumping and it generally involves a BIG fine.

And one might think the owner of some far out deserted place will never ever know, but I am telling you if this story might have
something to do with things in some case possibly related to an operation you might know a little something about, watch out!

If, for instance I owned a piece of land way out somewhere that I never did anything with...
But I start to seeing garbage piles and I don't care if it's just leaves or brush...
Lawdie lawdie help those who be doing it because I would be watching!
Because it ain't cool, it's against the law and it's not "all right."

Just thought I'd mention this.

Its the customers woods you dope. And there are no piles of debrit left behind. Like i said, i broadcast the loads.

JJS
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Play nice guys, everyone charges whatever they need, I charge based on what equipment i use, i spent alot of money on expensive blowers to do the job quicker for my advantage not the customers , sso if i use multiple different pieces of equipment and breeze threw the job, I then charge more, i get about 200.00 an hour, 4 guys, do two acres of treed lots in an hour and a half

GreenAssociates
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
We have a 27HP GV and it never clogged

Ben's Landscape
01-23-2009, 07:13 PM
I use a:
redmax 80001 blower
Lawnboy Commercial with a big bag and a high lift blade
Echo PB 400E
Stihl BG 85
Some Tarps

Buying a leaf loader maybe this spring for next year.