PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late for weed and feed?

Petr51488
08-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey, a customer asked me to put down some weed killer on his lawn. Is weed and feed to late for it? I live in north east Nj and its the 3rd week in august. also, what would be good for killing the grass in between the cracks of the cement? I want to pick this stuff up at the home depot. There are no chemical providers in my area. Anything would help on those two concerns

Rtom45
08-16-2004, 03:23 PM
First things first. Do you have an applicator's license? If not you'll need to sub out this work. If you are licensed, these topics have been discussed here many times, try a search.

James Cormier
08-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Im sure someone that is licenced and insured wouldnt be asking a question like this on a website,

Most likley he's gonna go out and buy the stuff and put it down,

I can only hope he would say to the customer, Im not licenced and I dont even know if its " to late to put it down " so why would you want me doing something I know nothing about?

My only recommendation to you Petr, is just to read and follow the lable of the material you buy of you choose to do it.

cantoo
08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
For what it's worth guys I have been licenced for 5 years and have been spraying for longer than that (before it was mandatory here) and have never used weed and feed so I would ask that question here before buying a bag to read the label. I also don't have a very good local turf dealer here ( live in the sticks) so I am always reading and looking for better products. My Dealer has to call his supplier to ask what is available, it's a pain sometimes.
I'm one of the few guys around here who is certified in fact I was the first one that my insurance company ever had insured to spray chemicals. There are tons of "farmers" here who go around in the spring spraying lawns with their lawn mowers, TSC sprayers and farm label chemicals for peanuts.

chefdrp
08-16-2004, 11:57 PM
you can put down Lesco weed and feed or Lesco 24-5-11 W/iron from Sep. 1- Oct. 30. My Lesco dealer gave me a nice little chart.

turf hokie
08-17-2004, 10:56 PM
NE NJ and no chemical supply shop??? I live on the border of NY/NJ and can name at least 6 places to shop in northern NJ off the top of my head........sounds kind of strange that you dont have supplier close by.

HayBay
08-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Petr51488,

If you are getting enough rain or there is irrigation you should be ok. Here they are recommending to hold of Lawn apps till september, its been hot and dry lately.

Roundup or Renegade for the cracks in the cement, don't get it on the lawn.

Cantoo, similar situation in town with the farmers and the actual licensed pesticide operators. Farmers are not legally allowed to spray residentials/commercials with thier growers license except in trade for services.