PDA

View Full Version : Lesco spreader question

Decali
08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
I used my Lesco fertilizer spreader today for the first time and have a couple of concerns. 1) Is it just me or does it throw heavy to the left side? If so, how can I compensate? 2) I have the manual deflector. Rather than throwing from about the edge of the outside wheel like I'm used to it, seems to throw from about the middle of the hopper in and makes it difficult if I'm going around beds or up to curbs.

Anyone have these problems?

James Cormier
08-17-2004, 07:14 PM
this is how a lesco spreader works....the 11-3 pattern, dont mess with it,

I used lesco spreader for 18 years now, and I only have a problem ( streaking lawns ) when I think too much about the pattern, all I know is I stop, turn, 4 steps open , stop , turn and go back

grassguy_
08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Decali,
that's why there is a shoot shut off under the third hole to dimish the amount of flow out the hole to compensate for the pattern. I've always disliked the pattern as well but have tended to know how to compesate in the passes so as not to streak. Personally the Scotts push spreader has done better for me.

jajwrigh
08-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I have noticed that my Earthway throws heavier to the left also....I remembered reading on here that this is normal for many spreaders...

LwnmwrMan22
08-18-2004, 08:19 AM
If you learn to go counterclockwise and throw your pattern to the left tire mark, you'll have no problems.

At least this is what I do, and have had no problems once I stopped trying to go back and forth like "striping" a lawn with a mower.

The Lawn Crew
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Of course, you could always sell the Lesco spreader and buy a Scott's/Anderson's and not have this problem. $450.

Green Dreams
08-19-2004, 02:06 PM
I HATE the new lesco spreaders. Give me back my old one...with no side deflector and that slide on the third hole bent so it stays wide open...

N.IN.lawnsupply
08-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Check out Spyker spreaders. They are every bit as well built as LESCO, but have a "Accuway" spread pattern equalizer, which is basicalla an adjustable flow divider so the fertilizer can be adjusted to spread dead center, not off to one side.

grassredneck
08-26-2004, 06:07 AM
I've found the Lesco spreader to be a pain because the edge kit doesn't stay in the upright position so I have to use a bungee cord to hold it up. They still have the old ones for sale. I just bought one ($270 vs. $329) and I like it better

GREENITUP
08-26-2004, 01:43 PM
I'VE USED A LESCO FOR THOUSANDS OF APPS. ONE OF THE EARLIER POSTS IS RIGHT - SLIDE THE COVER OVER THE THIRD HOLE. GO IN STRAIGHT LINES - OVERLAPING BACK TO YOUR LAST TIRE MARKS. DON'T FORGET TO STOP FLOW AT THE END OF EACH LINE - MAKING "QUICK TURNS" GIVES UN-EVEN COVERAGE ON THE OUTER EDGES. THE EDGING WITH SIDEGUARD HAS ALWAYS BEEN TRICKY. YOU WILL COME UP WITH YOUR OWN METHOD AFTER A WHILE. GOOD LUCK.

Grassmechanic
08-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by grassredneck
I've found the Lesco spreader to be a pain because the edge kit doesn't stay in the upright position so I have to use a bungee cord to hold it up. I just use the hook on the deflector and hang it on the edge of the hopper. Never goes down unless you want it down.