PDA

View Full Version : chemical safety ???

bluemoon
08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Need some advice, got a friend whom just went to work for a company that sprays railroad right of ways, crossings and etc.
They issued no safety apparel , not even a mask. This guy basically sprays each side of railroad , on each side of road. They walk and spray 300ft in length and about 30ft wide.
He and his co-workers wear leather boots, blue jeans, and any kind of shirt. Basically no chemical protection at all.
I think this is stupid, am I wrong? He is concerned, but not sure where to get answers on how to protect himself.
Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks,
Bluemoon

l1011100
08-17-2004, 12:02 PM
If you know what chemical they spray I can look it up in the hazard index at my other job and let you know what is required for protection

bluemoon
08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Not sure what he is using, when I find out will post . I do know most of the time it is for weed control. The railroad wants grass, so they don't have wash outs, they want weed control for visibility at road crossings.
I am thinking in general he should be wearing a mask, maybe chemical/rubber boots and some type of protection for his clothes.
Thanks for any help.
bluemoon

Grassmechanic
08-17-2004, 12:45 PM
The company he works for must provide MSDS on all chemicals to all the employees. MSDS will tell what personal protective equipment is needed. The company must provide the personal protective equipment (PPE).

BCSteel
08-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen to me.

bluemoon
08-17-2004, 01:25 PM
grassmechanic,
What one is suppose to do and what one does is many times two different things.
This company doesn't do what they are suppose to do.
My question is , wouldn't it be wise to protect oneself? If so , what measures should one do?
Also this company is owned by lawyers, and they aren't raising the issue of safety.
I don't want to get into what the company should do or why does my friend stay there. All I want is some advice or point to a website for ways to reduce or eliminate chemical exposure.
Thanks,
bluemoon

l1011100
08-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Here is a page right out of the MSDS sheets for Roundup, Im sure the stuff the railroad uses if much stronger but this should give you an idea. If he is going to be spraying this stuff all day and might breath the mist he would need a resperator with cartrages for organic materials, gloves, and possibly a face shield.

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
GENERAL PROCEDURES: Store this product only in its original container in a
secured storage area. Protect container from freezing.
8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS / PERSONAL PROTECTION
ENGINEERING CONTROLS: No special ventilation is necessary.
PERSONAL PROTECTION
EYES AND FACE: Workers handling the concentrate should wear chemical goggles to
6/26/01 http://www.roundup.com/product_info/msds/msds7072super.htm
prevent eye contact during mixing/transfer operations or other activities where there is
potential for eye contact with the concentrated product. The wearing of goggles is not
required during use of this product in accordance with label instruction.
SKIN: Although this product does not present a significant skin concern, minimize skin
contamination by following good industrial practice. Wearing protective gloves is
recommended. Wash hands and contaminated skin throughly after handling.
RESPIRATORY: For Handling the Concentrated Product: Avoid breathing vapor or mist.
This product concentrate is not likely to pose an airborne exposure concern during
manufacture or packaging. In the event of abnormal exposure conditions, use NIOSH
approved equipment. Air purifying elements for protection against orgainc vapor and
dust/mist approved for pesticiedes is recommended. Full facepiece replaces the need for
chemical goggles. Observe respiratory use limitations specified by the manufacturers.
For Use of Product in accordance with label instructions: Respirators are not required for
use of this product in accordance with label instructions.

Grassmechanic
08-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Bluemoon - ALL companies must abide by OSHA laws. A company run by lawyers knows this all too well. One phone call would shut them down. But to answer your question the minimum PPE would be long pants and shirts, gloves, and approved footwear.

PS. I wished I was working for that company - I'd be a millionaire in no time!

TSM
08-17-2004, 04:26 PM
shouldn't we know what he's spraying before talk about law suits???

Assuming he fills his truck, back-pak, or whatever he is using all he needs to do is read the label.

It aint rocket science

James Cormier
08-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by l1011100
Here is a page right out of the MSDS sheets for Roundup, Im sure the stuff the railroad uses if much stronger but this should give you an idea. If he is going to be spraying this stuff all day and might breath the mist he would need a resperator with cartrages for organic materials, gloves, and possibly a face shield.

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
GENERAL PROCEDURES: Store this product only in its original container in a
secured storage area. Protect container from freezing.
8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS / PERSONAL PROTECTION
ENGINEERING CONTROLS: No special ventilation is necessary.
PERSONAL PROTECTION
EYES AND FACE: Workers handling the concentrate should wear chemical goggles to
6/26/01 http://www.roundup.com/product_info/msds/msds7072super.htm
prevent eye contact during mixing/transfer operations or other activities where there is
potential for eye contact with the concentrated product. The wearing of goggles is not
required during use of this product in accordance with label instruction.
SKIN: Although this product does not present a significant skin concern, minimize skin
contamination by following good industrial practice. Wearing protective gloves is
recommended. Wash hands and contaminated skin throughly after handling.
RESPIRATORY: For Handling the Concentrated Product: Avoid breathing vapor or mist.
This product concentrate is not likely to pose an airborne exposure concern during
manufacture or packaging. In the event of abnormal exposure conditions, use NIOSH
approved equipment. Air purifying elements for protection against orgainc vapor and
dust/mist approved for pesticiedes is recommended. Full facepiece replaces the need for
chemical goggles. Observe respiratory use limitations specified by the manufacturers.
For Use of Product in accordance with label instructions: Respirators are not required for
use of this product in accordance with label instructions.

This is misleading because its for the concentrate, not the end use product, round up is mixed at a very low with a high water volume.

This dosnt mean its safe, but come on now, I think you should know what your talking about before you post like this.

James Cormier
08-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bluemoon
Need some advice, got a friend whom just went to work for a company that sprays railroad right of ways, crossings and etc.
They issued no safety apparel , not even a mask. This guy basically sprays each side of railroad , on each side of road. They walk and spray 300ft in length and about 30ft wide.
He and his co-workers wear leather boots, blue jeans, and any kind of shirt. Basically no chemical protection at all.
I think this is stupid, am I wrong? He is concerned, but not sure where to get answers on how to protect himself.
Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks,
Bluemoon

Bluemoon, Did this guy get a applicator's license to apply, Im guessing he did, then this would be covered in getting your license. and he shouldn't need a friend on a website finding out what kind of protective equipment to wear.

If he's not licensed and still applying the materials then I would suggest to your friend to find another job.