PDA

View Full Version : chemical safety

bluemoon
08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I realize there are many out there that apply chemicals. What I am wondering is - as a rule I don't see most employing safety measures to protect themselves. I realize I don't see everybody, but the ones I see don't.
In fact since I started mowing in 1999, I have seen one guy wear rubber boots, he didn't have gloves on.
Another guy wore gloves , but no other protective apparel.
Just yesterday I saw a woman mixing chemicals on a large truck, 300 or so gallon, no protection.
TGCL sprays here all the time, no protection sometimes gloves.
This friend of mine is in the thick of things and thinks he needs some protection, I agree. Just not sure what he needs.

James Cormier
08-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Applying and mixing are 2 very different things, because mixing is coming in contact with concentrates.

Some people are not infavor of gloves when spraying for 2 reasons

1. gloves make you sweat, and your pores are open when sweating thus allowing chemicals the enter easier, if and when you come in contract with materials

2. Most people wear the wrong type of gloves, leather, and the gloves hold the chemical and get on your hands

Me I use gloves most of the time, but most importantly I wash my hands after each lawn. I wear rubber boots as well most of the time but from time to time I do wear leather work boots.

I think whats most important is using common sense.

Neal Wolbert
08-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Why take a chance with any exposure possibility? Wear waterproof, loose gloves with the cuffs rolled up and carry powder to help get them on and off easily. Never wear leather shoes when applying pesticides or fertilizers for that matter. Make every effort to minimize exposure to anything that may impact your health. Certainly product labels will give you the p.p.e. requirements. Follow them and you will limit exposure and protect yourself. Doesn't this make sense? Neal

bluemoon
08-18-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate the your input.
thank you
bluemoon