PDA

View Full Version : New Truck!

kemmer
08-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Heres my new truck, 2001 chevy silverado 2500HD crew cab

kemmer
08-17-2004, 09:17 PM
im gonna get some black nerf bars for it also, either door to door, or wheel to wheel. what ya think?

myoder
08-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the new truck!!! Good looking truck

LLandscaping
08-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Nice looking truck. How many miles is on it and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it. Does it have a 6.0 liter. I am curious because I am looking at a 2000 GMC 2500 4X4 standard cab 6.0.

kemmer
08-17-2004, 11:36 PM
LLandscaping the truck has 23533 miles on it and a 6.0 L V8.
you can see everything here (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=164164399&dealer_id=1175485&car_year=2001&make=CHEV&distance=25&max_price=&model=CHEVC25&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=07641&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=5)

greenedge
08-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I like the new truck- however, how do you plan on keeping it nice. Maybe up north it is easier but down in Houston most lawn service trucks look really beat-up. I'm not trying to sound smart but I too have tried to keep my truck looking good but always things happen and it gets a beating. Maybe if you throw seat covers on it and use trailers-only to haul tools.
I have seen someone using a new Navigator to cut yards-weird?

NNJLandman
08-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Looks nice have fun with her, that pickup is mine, eventually youll learn a work truck is a work truck, i already got a huge sratch on the back from workin with it, oh well things happen. I'm hopefully gonna be buying a nother truck soon. Get your license yet?

Jeff

kemmer
08-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Na not yet, i get it in january, it was a deal i couldnt pass up.

l1011100
08-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Very nice, I have a 02' same as yours with the duramax, last truck I will buy for a while.

FrankenScagMachines
08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
how can a kid who doesn't even have his license yet afford a 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab that is loaded? This is my third year in biz and i'm doing twice as much work this year as last year. I don't buy a truck unless i can pay for it. The only debt i have is the mower and it's a sweet financing deal, I guess i rather put my money into something that will make it back. I can drive a $2000 truck like mine and get a $7500 (+$1600 bagger) mower like mine, or i can drive a $25,000 truck like yours and use a push mower! I prefer to ride, thanks!

Regardless, it looks like a VERY nice truck.. but i can't see myself working out of a purdy truck :) Good luck with it. If it's paid for, congrats. Feels good don't it?! If it's not paid for, I certainly don't envy you. Enjoy those payments!!! haha.....

Rich's Lawn Care
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
That's sweet!!!! love the 4 door.

gml9
08-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Don't hate b/c you drive a beater! When he blows by you on the interstate, windows up, A/C pumping in 100+ degrees, and your being tailgated in the right lane doing 45mph baking in that rustbucket with the AM blaring out of one speaker....you'll understand and be envious of his purchase even if he is pushmowing....which if he is buying this truck...he probably can afford equipment too...but thats just my opinion. Very nice truck.

FrankenScagMachines
08-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Don't hate just because my truck is a couple years older than yours! Mine has a 460 V8 (that's 7.5 liter for all you metric morons), and a/c, cd player, etc. Don't underestimate it. It's not really a rust bucket either. It will haul 5 times as much as his truck anyway. Short beds are pretty darn useless as a work truck (or anything else for that matter).

I never implied any hard feelings. I just was saying i hope he can say it was paid for in cash like i can.

Go back to fixing your old peice of trash 1/2 ton clunker moron :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've never been envious of a chevy owner... sorry, you can't make me want one. I might say it's a nice truck, but i'd not want one for work anyway. Now, a personal run around truck maybe if i got a great deal on it, but for work I like my Fords.

ALarsh
08-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
how can a kid who doesn't even have his license yet afford a 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab that is loaded?

I would like to know also.

Nice Looking truck though!

kemmer
08-21-2004, 11:42 AM
for the record i did pay cash for it! and it is also my personal truck to pick up girls in, :cool: so i wanted somthing nice. i agree with some of you about the short bed, so far i havent really used it except for havin some barrels in the back. most of my equiptment goes in my enclosed trailer(payed cash). the truck did basicly whipe out my bank account but i do have a couple thousand left for any emergencies. but leaf season is comming up and thats aways a big money maker. SO DONT BE HATEN! lol:p

kemmer
08-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Go back to fixing your old peice of trash 1/2 ton clunker moron :rolleyes:

was that implied to me? its actually a 3/4 ton HD

FrankenScagMachines
08-21-2004, 01:58 PM
no it was for gml9. his IS a half ton.

Seriously Ryan, thats a nice truck and i'm happy for you that you have it and were able to pay cash for it. Thats great. I don't know how you got there, but thats terrific. I'm not hatin' at all about that. Chevy's aren't bad or anything, it's just not my preference for a work truck at this time... Lots of guys use them and love them, i see nothing wrong with them but Fords have treated my family very well. :)

kemmer
08-21-2004, 04:10 PM
ok, but ive been working for about 5 years and been saving up for a truck the whole time. sorry i couldn't sell ya that blower, but i hope you find one before leaf season.

FrankenScagMachines
08-21-2004, 05:27 PM
hey thats ok. no big deal, out of your control i understand lol. i have higher powers too.

Lux Lawn
08-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Nice looking truck good luck with it.

Tony Clifton
08-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Snowy Leaf, nice truck and right on for paying cash for it. I wouldn't listen to the guys who are saying you will beat it up working out of it. I bought a new 3/4 ton extended cab short bed in 1998. The thing doesnt have a dent on it and only has a few scratches that probably only I notice. As long as you make an effort not to trash it you can keep it looking good. The short bed is fine for working out of, sure it would be nice if it was bigger but it works fine for me. I would rather it be a little bit shorter than be driving a school bus. THe chicks wil love it and your customers will respect you, it will also catch the eyes of potential customers. Actually I just bought an 04 crew cab short bed for my fiance and it has been great so far. Good luck to everyone.

Lawnworks
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I cannot see how you can work in that nice of a truck!! and why did you get a gas motor? I really cannot see 3 mexicans piling in that thing and keeping it clean. If you plan on having employees they will destroy your truck. I think it would be smart to find a $5k work truck and keep that truck nice and have it as a back-up. Just my experience.

kemmer
08-22-2004, 07:15 PM
i dont plan on having mexicans or any type of employee because legally i cant. so its just me and ill take care of it.

Lawnworks
08-22-2004, 09:22 PM
but congrats on being 16 and kickin grass!! I know it takes alot of hard work to get that much in bank. Its nice to have a truck that mommy and daddy didn't pay for. I am sure 99% of kids your age didnt pay for their vehicles especially not a truck as nice as yours. It would be great to figure out a way to get an employee. Why cant you legally get somebody?

NNJLandman
08-22-2004, 09:47 PM
I paid for my truck with all my money, 2-3 months it will be paid off then ill be looking to buy my next truck hopefully a dodge ram diesel rig. I have an employee and im only 17 hes my best friends brother, he works all the time for me he gets $10/hr cash, id really like to get another truck and a trailer so he could cut lawns solo for me.

Jeff

Lawnworks
08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Man dodge diesels are where its at. I am about to buy my third one for another crew and they are absolutely the best. I have built 4 of these motors and they are just built to the hilt stock! The fuel mileage and torque will not be beat by a powerstroke or duramax. Are you going to hire somebody else yo work for you while your other guy does solo work?

kemmer
08-22-2004, 11:23 PM
im thinking about having these magnets made up, tell me what ya think, i designed it my self so i wanted another opinion.

NNJLandman
08-22-2004, 11:32 PM
they look awesome dude, I really like them. Hey if you ever wanna take that rig off roadin you jus tell me, you can come with me, or bring it to the truck show me n my buddies are starting up by us.

Jeff

Lawnworks
08-23-2004, 06:14 AM
i think it looks sharp especially if its just the oval... but I have a fully lettered work truck and I have only got one customer this year b/c of the lettering. Not as effective as I thought it would be.

Tony Clifton
08-23-2004, 09:04 AM
The logo looks really good, however I would strongly encourage you to get vinyl decals instead of magnets...they will cost less and look much more professional.

gml9
08-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Franken...middlefinger! No one needs your negative opinions.
The truck is nice. My truck is nice...and yes it is a 93 that is paid for that continues to run strong and make me money weekly...kinda goes along with what you were saying about him buying a new truck...hmmmmmmmmm. I like the magnets...very clean looking but Franken will have something to say.......I'm sure.

FrankenScagMachines
08-23-2004, 05:28 PM
excuse me, but you were the one being negative. mine is also paid for and continues to be reliable and run strong and make money weekly, whatever. It is a heck of a work truck and I won't have you or anyone else belittling it. it is a work truck not a show truck. Around here, a lawn company is measured by high quality work and reliability. What they drive or work with has nothing to do with how much business they get. I have been told I am more professional than most of the LCO's around and have gotten jobs from larger LCO's because I paid attention to customers needs and wants, not becuase I drive a $45,000 truck or whatever. I can't imagine what truck would work much better for me at this time. It's an awesome work truck and i can haul 4 tons of gravel on it or 4 yards of mulch. No pickup can do that, sorry. Sure i don't do it every week but it sure is nice to be able to do the jobs easier and in less time and with less trips when you do those kinds of jobs. I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks about me or my stuff. I'm happy with it and my customers are happy with it and with the job i do. The people that care about my stuff do not care about your opinion, and neither do i. Indiana customers could care less about a VA LCO and his big mouth. Sorry, but "I call it like i see it" (if i may quote 'GeeVee')

gml9
08-24-2004, 08:41 AM
The point is.......who cares what you think of his truck! Nough said. NO one cares about your truck, that wasn't the topic nor was it my truck which YOU brought into this. Who cares about Indiana or you.........

FrankenScagMachines
08-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by gml9
The point is.......who cares what you think of his truck!
The point is....... who cares what you think of my truck!

kemmer
08-25-2004, 03:05 PM
u guys done arguing? lol

Wolfie's L&L
08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
On to a different discussion now,

Hey Snowy, how did you come up with your business name? Pretty original and pretty nice truck BTW. I'm 18 and do lawn and landscape care on the side, as well as working full time. I have a 1993 Mazda pickup. I'm hoping to get a trailer elec. hookup on it soon so I can buy an enclosed trailer.

Jason

kemmer
08-25-2004, 06:24 PM
CTHLandscaping - i came up with the name when i was about 11 i think, but then it was snowy leafs landscaping. that was when i only did leaves and snow blowing. after years with that name many people said it was grammatically incorrect. so i changed it from leafs to leaf.

Mlc gmc03
08-25-2004, 11:49 PM
gml9
well being from indiana i kinda care and, also depending on the work he does his ford could be way more profitable than the new 2500 hd but not to start any more fights because i love your new truck and would do anything to add one to my collecetion but gml9 last year when i got my 2003 3500dump i was gonna buy a pickup instead and that would have been a huge mistake because u cant do nething with them and the gvw is tiny so i would have to agree with franken on this one especailaly because my 1st work truck was a 1990 chevy 1 ton dump and i still have it and yes it makes me more than my new truck becase well it cost 20 grand less so ya his truck might look nicer but frankens is a better choice dont bust your behind to buy a truck bust your behind to buy equipment and let the equipment buy the truck

JRSlawn
08-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Franken my chevy 2500 can haul 6 yards of much even with the easy dumper in the back.

FrankenScagMachines
08-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Thank you Mlc gmc03, that is exactly my theory. I would love to have a new/newer truck to run around in and do estimates, personal truck, etc, but I would have to keep my flatbed for work. I don't have to worry about getting it dirty keeping it clean, scratching it, putting a dent in it, etc. Plus, I did use to have a pickup (full size bed 3/4 ton) and I'm amazed how much more this truck can haul. I've hauled mulch and stone and hauled off construction debris with it, and more. Just a pleasure to work out of something like this, able to do so much with it and every bit of money I make with it is icing on the cake (except fuel, insurance and standard operating costs that apply to any truck). I have the capability to tow anything i could hook to it (it's overkill on that aspect for my needs, but hey, too much is just about right). Lets just leave it at this: I'm content with it and i'm satisfied that nothing out there within my budget could be better, so thats the perfect vehicle for me right now. My needs may change in the future but I don't know how i'd do without this type of truck. Thanks for backing me up on this one.

Snowy, i still like your truck, but i hate to see you work out of it :) Enjoy it though. Oh, one more thing- around here if a younger guy cruises around in something that nice, chics just assume it's your dad's truck LOL it's gotta be beleivable haha... take care,
Eric

FrankenScagMachines
08-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by JRSlawn
Hey Franken my chevy 2500 can haul 6 yards of much even with the easy dumper in the back.
Yeah, but don't even try to tell me you can haul 4.5 tons (thats 9,000#) of stone with it (i have done that. Not going to put that much weight on it again but it handled it fine just not a great idea). Truck with that much stone on it was around 15,500 lbs if i remember correct. Several times I've had a couple tons of soil on the bed and it didn't notice it. I know that a 3/4 ton pickup can't do that. Mulch isn't the heaviest substance in the world but it's all about volume, i can fit about 6 yards thats just with 16" sideboards and thats no weight on it at all.

Take it easy guys, i'm not bashing pickups, just saying I wouldn't go back to one now that i have this. It's like, going from a hydro drive to a belt drive w/b, you just couldn't make yourself do it :)

FrankenScagMachines
08-26-2004, 12:26 AM
JRS, just looked at the pic you posted of your Chevy. I can see 6 yards in there. Also, it's not always about cubic yards capacity, sometimes it's about floor space, i guess thats mainly where i have you beat. i feel like i can't fit much in a pickup bed unless it's stacked/piled/heaped which isn't an option many times. Like for instance, i keep a toolbox (pickup bed type), portable toolbox, parking cones, and backpack blowers in my truck bed. That'd probably about fill up the bed of a pickup truck, but i still have plenty of room to bag grass all day and dump the grass in the bed, without the grass getting all over the rest of the stuff.

gml9
08-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Get the materials delivered......save the truck and time driving to pick it up. A few bucks for delivery sure beats the stress you put on your truck and the bragging rights. I prefer to show up with my equipment and have the supplies already there waiting on me.

FrankenScagMachines
08-26-2004, 10:11 AM
it's not stress on my truck because this is what it was built to do, heavy hauling. why pay someone to deliver it when i'm already going to the jobsite? it doesn't take too long to pick it up and i have the time to do it. Also sometimes the product delivered needs taken to a part of the property and unloaded by hand. I've done a couple large mulching jobs where they said to just drive the truck through the yard. it made the job alot quicker and they were cruddy yards (that i don't maintain) and it didn't hurt the lawns anyway. The nurseries would not drive into the yard and let me load a wheelbarrow off of their truck at each spot in the yard... the soil i hauled was from my neighbor's house into my backyard garden. The gravel had to go into a guy's backyard to a playground where my truck was an extremely tight squeeze, no way a big dump would fit there. I prefer to save the cash and have the convenience of me putting the materials right where i want and when i want. to each his own. lets end this now and quit ruining snowy's thread, please.

gml9
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Suuuuush! Kid.

Lawnworks
08-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Flatbeds are the deal!! I love mine to death! I can fit like 15 mexicans in the back... its awesome. Plus when ever I jackknife my trailer, I dont have to go the body shop. When you really get serious in this business landscape body trucks and flatbeds are the only way to go. But I sure as hell wouldnt want to go on a date in my 3500!! Gotta have a nice ride too.

aspenlawn2000
08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Hope you have better luck with your Chevy than I do with mine

kemmer
08-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by aspenlawn2000
Hope you have better luck with your Chevy than I do with mine
whats wrong with yours?

aspenlawn2000
08-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Well I have had countless problems with mine. 1st the fuel pump went on it at 48000 miles. then the air conditioner went at 38000 miles. then the camshaft sensor went at 37000 miles. then the truck needed brakes at 70000 miles but that is not the big part of the brake job the back rotter's cost about 260.00 dollars a piece. the doors are rusting and have been from about 60000 miles (and keep in mind that it is a 2000 silverado). I have a tranny problem that is starting with it at 99000 (never beat on). I just replaced a yoke in the differental and a u joint. The ABS light does not go off and the emergency brake has been broken since 80000 miles. I also have a problem with the truck leaking engine coolant near the intake manifold other than that the truck is just fine.

NNJLandman
08-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Bought mine, n within two days needed to replace the water pump, then was driving with it for the first time at night and i couldn't see **** it was like the headlights weren't on....went on vacation came home battery was dead, couple other minor problems but this is a used truck and otherwise it runs and hauls great. I have a 3 year warrenty so no worries.

Jeff

kemmer
08-29-2004, 09:53 AM
yea i already took it in for service because there was a rattle when i accelerated and my parking break shorted out the interior lights becasue there was an exposed wire. but i got it back and it still had the rattle! o well i have a 90 day warrenty so i have to get all the kinks out now.

FrankenScagMachines
08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
sorry to hear about your problems. hopefully you can get it fixed long enough to trade it for that Ford SuperDuty you've been wanting, you know, the one with the crew cab Lariat with the diesel in it? then you'll finally have a real truck and one that will get you chics, i remember you said you had a hard time doing that in this chevy...

Tony Clifton
09-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Eric, what the F()&%? Would you lighten up I definitely detect a sense of jealousy. I would rather look at this kids chevy that he worked for rather than a rebuilt motor that you picked up at a swap meet and hauled home in your flat bed. You should know better than anyone that this site is for help and support, not bashing others. You really surprised me on this thread, I thought you had more character than you have displayed on this thread.

FrankenScagMachines
09-02-2004, 01:54 AM
easy tony i'm just givin him a hard time i thought he knew that.