PDA

View Full Version : business website---is it worth it?

greenerpastures
08-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Considering either designing or hiring a custom website for my service. Primary purpose would be for customer communication and customer education---not solicitation of new business. Is it worth the hassle? If so --- self-maintained or hired?

jajwrigh
08-18-2004, 01:14 AM
I have thought of this same thing....consider cost and see if you can justify the cost/benefit ratio. The same thing goes for the self-maintained or hired question....

trying 2b organic
08-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Its not worth it dollars to sales wise. If you can do it yourself then do it, I have one that my brother made. a real .com adress to go with it also of course. The only adv. it has is when people phone with lots of questions I direct them to the website for more detailed info. Once you do that then if they are impressed a sale will come, which I guess sort of goes against what i said. bottom line, dont Pay much to have one. If you can do it on the cheap and mostly for fun than go for it. :blush:

Envi-Lawn
08-18-2004, 08:33 AM
T2BO is right, try not to spend too much $$ on a site. Try bartering.
I developed a relationship with a web master for a large corp., he developed a site for me, he has the finest lawn on his street. My cost for the site is $100.00/5 years to protect my domain name.
He maintains the site, I keep his lawn green.

MrBarefoot
08-18-2004, 09:25 AM
I found that my website gets a lot of traffic when I have fliers going out or a newspaper ad breaks.

Looking at my records, 12 present customers contacted me through the website email. That pays for the website plus a good chunk left over.

I suspect that more people looked at my website as they where looking at my ad, and that helped them decide to contact me.

When asked, I always suggest a website. Keep it current, and update it with relevant seasonal info and tips for your customers and they will look at it from time to time. Toss in a turf tips section if you want, that will help the prospect or client understand your approach to lawn care.

Websites can be very affordable, I have a guy who does this for a side business and his rates are very good.

MOW ED
08-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I made my own website and it costs about 100 a year to keep it up. I used Front Page which is basic and easy. To tell you the truth, I just learned by trial and error. Once you learn it, it is easy. I have not had any formal computer training in modern day computer operations.
The website gets lots of hits when the flyers go out as was stated by MrBarefoot. The site is more of a reference site than a business marketing tool but it does do that to some extent.
I would say to develop one over the winter and give it a try. For a hundred bucks I think its a good investment and I have had many customers comment on it. Good Luck.