PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Inventory Control Needed

SprinklerGuy
08-18-2004, 12:17 PM
well...i brought a van up from Arizona this weekend and started going through it yesterday...wow! This van was used by a 2 man crew doing installs and renovations....and it is LOADED.

There are so many fittings/valves/nozzles and misc. parts I could probably outfit 2 more vans with it all.

Does anyone have a decent inventory control system? I have always just figured I'd rather have more than I need than have to run to the supply house every day...but this van's inventory is ridiculous. Is there an easy way? I was thinking about making an inventory list of all stuff used....have them make "chit" marks next to each item as it is used, while making out the bill, and then when they go to the supply house they will have a list of what they need..and only buy what is on the LIST....what do you think?

I won't need all the PVC fittings for years here in Colorado as most is polypipe...so they will go back to Arizona....but I have enough nozzles and sprayheads and valves to last me awhile.

aquamtic
08-18-2004, 04:33 PM
It would be way to time consuming to be taking down counts of fittings. We make sure we have a minumum of 1-2 closed boxes of fittings in stock aside from what is open and order more according to demand. As for valves, controllers and heads, you can work off your jobs invoice and restock following the job.

koster_irrigation
08-19-2004, 05:48 PM
^ yeh what this guy said. we stock a couple of extra cases of fittings, of each type. when it looks like im getting low, time to restock.

no point going to the suppy store to buy 15 1" couplings just to turn around the week and buy 15 more.

Oh yeh, throw some pics up of this van!

DanaMac
08-21-2004, 10:52 PM
We are just the opposite right now. Since it is slow we aren't buying a lot of stuff and tend to sometimes not have what we need.

Not sure what process to use for control. Maybe have an incentive plan. Show what supply cost were from this year, and tell them you want it cut by ?% next year. And they get some kind of percentage. Or you stock it and document it once or twice a year, and have them contact you before they make any major purchases. Do you really need a full box of 25 PVC 1 1/4' to 1/2" SxM reducing bushings? Or some other odd ball fittings.

HBFOXJr
08-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Assuming all this stuff is in the truck where it is easily visible I'd suggest that a stocking qty be written on each spot.

Unfortunately Tony, I think you are letting guys go buy stuff at the supplier and not stock from a central shop. Is that correct. If so, are they buying in qty that is larger than they can physically stock with any sense? Does excess get put in a shop where other guys can use it too?

In the shop a restocking qty can be put on the storage container with an amount to reorder.

This is the way we do it informally but with out the written documentation. If we handled more work, I'd document better and put it ina as an official system.

A job applicant told me once that an alarn company he worked for only "inventoried" things over a certain value such as $10.00 to minimize the nickel dime hassle. Since the little stuff is o fless value they just ordered it to keep the place full.

SprinklerGuy
08-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Well, I have finished cleaning up the van....most of it is my fault.....if I hadn't moved to Colorado to try and make a better life for my family...I would have kept better track....damn I'm selfish.

I found 8 R-217 Valves
5 R-216 Valves

12 R-205 Valves
14 Pgv valves
21 PGP heads
12 2inch slip fixes
6 2.5 inch slip fixes

1000 nozzles of various manufacturers
2 inch copper parts coming out of my arse

and the list goes on.

I am making my 2 repair guys that are left, keep a list of what they sold and only buy from that list. I am also going to have him inventory the van the very next rain day.....

i am starting a new thread.....keep an eye out.

HB...I am not ignoring you...I have major problems w/ computers and such right now so I am not sending emails to friends.....understand? I don't want you to get my disease.