PDA

View Full Version : walker warranty

walkerrider
05-29-2000, 10:01 PM
Would welcome any walker owner feedback regarding warranty requests. Seems I wacked a hidden stump with my 48" deck. The balde shear pin didn't shear and the drive shaft pin did but not before the spindle gear housing exploded. Seems Like the gear box failed along the edge where the bolt was drilled creating a weak spot. Don't know if I should push for the warranty repair or if I should just write this off to operator error. Any feedback is welcome. Particularly if you own or have owned a Walker and have delat with them on warranty issues. Lastly, Any ideas what this mistake is going to cost me. Has anyone replaced a gearbox on a Walker before. It is only one side of the deck. Thanks in advance

slingshot
05-29-2000, 10:12 PM
whatever you do dont tell them you hiy somthing or they will tell you to kiss off i love walker mowers for alot of reasons and i hate them for alot of reasons mostly warantee stuff when a gearbox explodes it makes alot of damage to the deck on the outher hand if the sheer pins break and the blades hit it does the same damage i think it is a stupid design mine blew up from everyday use they did not want to warantee it so what i did was write a letter on the pc to the walker site and they took care of it but it took a while about 3 months so i was out 750.00 for 3 months i dont think a dealer will put only one box on and now im in a big battle over a blown motor with 400 hrs on it if you need more info e mail me omerta17@aol.com

AB Lawn Care
05-29-2000, 10:28 PM
I too blew one of my gear boxes last week.I hit a tree stump.I have a 54'' and the center gear box houseing cracked.I had to replace it becouse it would not hold oil.I have not checked into warrenty yet.Let me know if you can get money back on warrenty.Usually the shear pins will break first but this time the gear box did.Let me know what happens!I will give you an email adress to a service rep at Walker.Both of us can compain untill they give in.I have free time!If you want we can email them 100 times a day each untill they give in:).I get you that e-mail adress tomorow.Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

cantoo
05-29-2000, 10:45 PM
Hey Adam, is that your 54&quot; gear box laying at Kitchener Tractor? I was just there dropping my mower off. My wife broke a shear pin last week, the first time it has ever happened.

JJ Lawn
05-30-2000, 01:01 AM
Let me try to explain how I got my gearbox replaced under warranty. I only got away with this once because my Dealer also believed my theory. :) <p>On the 48&quot; GHS deck, the blades counter rotate. But the blade nuts are both right hand thread. Now if you hit something hard, this can cause one blade nut to become tighter. And even if the the shear bolts break the blades will still rotate and will start hitting each other and one side can continue to tighten. And when this happens is when the gear box will break. Something has to give, and with the tightened nut it is usually the gear box. Also on the other hand, the other nut can loosen and the blade can fall off.<p>This is one reason that it is very important to torque your blade nuts to the factory spec's and not use an air impact wrench. Also even during normal use the one blade can become over tightened. But if you change blades on a regular basis this should not be a problem. I notice this more often durning fall leaf clean up when I use my worn blades and don't change them very often. So about twice a week I re-torgue my blades during clean-up.<p>Another thing Walker folks need to pay attention too, is the blade break. Keep it adjusted and watch for wear. I believe that when you release the blade handle the blades are supposed to stop in less than 2 or 3 seconds. If kept at factory spec, this can also help reduce gearbox dammage if something is hit.<p><br>Jim<p><p>

AB Lawn Care
05-30-2000, 04:26 PM
I have never email him yet but here is an email adress to a guy at Walker I hope we can be repaid for the gear box.<p>dennisc@walkermowers.com<p>cantoo-I don't think that was my deck.It was fixed in a day about 2 weeks ago.Have you talked much to bill kid????<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

GrassMaster
05-30-2000, 04:51 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>As far as I know this is all I know about warranties & sorry about your bad luck!<p>Warranties are a mile long, but they all boil down to this.<p>The warranty covers materials, defects & workmanship for a certain length of time.<p>It will not cover hitting a stump.<p>If you buy a $40K Chevy truck & leave the lot & you run the stop light & total out the truck. Do you take it back to the dealer & make him repair or replace it under warranty?<p>This is the bad part about being in business. But look at all those days you made real good money!<p>No Pain, NO Gain!<p>Been there, Done that!!!!!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 05:13 PM
listen to grassmaster, he's an expert when comes to equip.<p>A-1

AB Lawn Care
05-30-2000, 06:07 PM
oops!<p><font size="1">Edited by: AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care
05-30-2000, 06:07 PM
I would not go for warranty work if I just sheared some pins and wrecked some blades.I am going after warranty becouse the gear box should never blow if the pins don't shear.For all I know that box may have been faulty?Don't you agree?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

lawrence stone
05-30-2000, 06:37 PM
$750 for a gearbox? I bought a complete<br>52&quot; toro WB w/a toro sulky this winter for less than that.<p>I hit a stump one with my 44&quot; WB a few years back. The collision threw me off the sulky<br>(stand up). It bent the deck. I just took<br>the deck off then turned it upside down and<br>used a sledge hammer to bend the deck back to<br>the OEM shape.

JJ Lawn
05-30-2000, 06:58 PM
Well excuse me all to hell A-1 for posting, maybe we just ought to let the experts answer the posts and the rest of us shut the heck up??? <p>Sorry for all the edits, but had to remove profanity....sorry for my language folks.<p>Jim <p><br>already tired of this robot. And I have more experience and expertice at running a Walker mower than you have at running you mouth and making asinine posts.<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: JJ Lawn<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: JJ Lawn<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: JJ Lawn

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 07:36 PM
JJlawn,<br>Sorry for A-1 posts but I just got back. A-1 works for me ... but the big news is A-1 auto response systems that I'm working on with a programmer. Funny thing you said about experts answering posts. Poeple who post are experts giving good advice. A-1 auto response culls answers, sorts them out, picks the best answers and automatically posts these based on percentage. I know it sounds weird, but so far the system has been very accurate. I got the idea for A-1 auto response systems from watching Regis on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire show. The audience is right the vast majority of time. That's where the idea came from. Sort the answers, poll the posts, choose the best, and post it. Done, plus it saves an enormous amount of time on both ends. I think it has great potential. It's not quite ready to market yet, but people who post I guess would like to have faster answers but for some reason don't use the search feature? Or maybe they do? Not sure.<p>Well anyway, it's hard to explain. The geek that's working on it for me, is always telling me how it works. I tell him, I don't care how it works, just make it work. The system still doesn't recognize slang, swears, personal attacks, dangling modifiers, run on sentences, misplelled words, and transposed letters within groups or sentences, stuff like that. The geek says they can't be built in. That's the problem, still in test stage. So for now A-1 who is a real person monitors what A-1 auto response systems is doing ... so the darn thing doesn't go haywire.<p>Phil Nilsson answering this one. <p>P.S. A-1 was busy today, I pay A-1 to make posts. A-1 posts on many boards, not just this one. Nilsson says it helps business and it's free advertising. Sales are goping up so I guess he's right. A-1 auto response still has some bugs in it.<p>Sorry for long post.

GrassMaster
05-30-2000, 09:12 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>I think I've missed something, I've read the post twice & for the life of me, I can not see why anybody would be upset about anything posted here?<p>I don't know about being an expert but I do represent 13 O.E.M.'s that's original equipment manufactures. I make sole decisions on warrantys. <p>Done 1,000's in past 9 1/2 years & never once a problem. I've also rejected about twice as many as approved & none disputed.<p>I have a strong mechanical background & I'll go against the Big Boys any day of the week, LOL I got to the 10th grade. I'm smarter than the average bear!<p>I thought the forum was a place for everyone to have a place to voice their thoughts & everybody is treated equal.<p>Why get nasty with anyone here, I see crap all the time here, but I don't kick in on it because others do. I yam, what I yam!<p>I can do what I want & I don't even need to respond with small 4 letter words.<p>I'm going to be quiet now, the PBR is kicking in but, I want to know what went wrong here.<p>Why all the edited post?<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

walkerrider
05-30-2000, 09:15 PM
Ok , Here is how it played out. I called my dealer and told hime the story. He had me bring up the gearbox and replaced it on the psot with a new unit under warranty. No hassle and no questions asked. He called Walker who acknowledged that they have seen situations where the shear pin should have saved to gearbox but didn't and they felt it was legit warranty repair. I have to tell you this dealer has been unbelievable. Great guys very helpful. If you ever need a exmark,walker,gravely,snapper dealer in New Hampshire look up Greenlands Lawn in Concord. They also have a web address and will ship walker parts ups. FYI the gearbox was $119.00 if I had to pay for it.

walkerrider
05-30-2000, 09:23 PM
Hey a quick aside to grassmaster regarding warranties. I agree with you regarding what should be warranty and what should not. In this case the gearbox failure being along the bolt pattern led me to consider the warranty issue. As it turned out It did not hurt to inquire. I was ready to pay for the damage without complaint. In the case of your truck analogy if the truck you bought had a steering gear casting and you left the dealership and hit a pothole and cracked the steering gearcase I would not think it was unreasonable to look for repair under warrant. Potholes like stump or small yard debris are a fact of life for trucks and lawn mowers. Both should be capable of handling some level of impact. Agreed????

AB Lawn Care
05-30-2000, 10:19 PM
Hey Walkerrider!How old is your deck mine is about 1/2 years old.Do you think I should ask for warranty work?Any did they cover the labor on your repair?If you could answer my question I would be very thankful!I'm glad you brought up this post!I may just get some money off my tab at the dealer!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

GrassMaster
05-30-2000, 10:27 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>Hey, I know I will Pay for this one.<p>No & Absolutly NO!!!!!<p>I do not want anything for free, no matter what!<p>Nobody builds a mower to withstand hitting a stump. The stress & sudden impact can do all kinds of wierd things to a piece of machinerys structural mass. Or whatever?<p>It is called customer abuse. If I had a mower that cost just a couple of $1,000 I would have walked the property first!<p>Employees & Equipment come first, then Money allways at all Times!!!!<p>Free Sounds Very Cheap To Me! If I know I hit a Stump trying to make 5 times what the mower cost in one year, I couldn't face my friends & I have plenty here.<p>Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I live by Gods Law! <p>I do not want FREE at any cost, Because somebody allways pays, at all times! That's a fact Jack!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

walkerrider
05-30-2000, 10:38 PM
Hey Ab the deck is about 1 month old. The gearbox is warrantied for 2 years (peerless). But Im afraid that after paying $9k for a piece of machinery I was wrong to even consider inquiring about the warranty. Next time I will just buy used equipment since any warranty work appers to qaulify as a welfare hand out if you listen to grass. Give me a break Grass God has nothing to do with this except he's the &@%#T*&!@%#)* that put that stump in my way. By the way to clarify it was not a stump like you picture when I say stump. It was a ground level root of a rose bush. Definitely should not have caused the damage that resulted. Again I say that warranties are one of the major reasons while you buy new equipment. And it does not hurt or even ofend the natural order of life to actually get a repair done under warranty. And any fool who believes that getting work done under warranty is free has never paid the price of new equipment. By the way I removed the gearbox and handle all the disassembly and reassembly of the unit.The dealers sole repsonsibilty, which he handled flawlessly, was to inquire as to the legitamacy of my request. Apparently the people at Walker felt that warrantying this unit was good business. I would agree based on the goodwill it generated in my eyes.

slingshot
05-30-2000, 11:08 PM
grassmaster when you were in biz you never wanted somthing fixed walker has a bad design and should be responsible for this even if you dont hit anything and the pins just break it destroys the bottom of the deck when the blades start slapping together

gene gls
05-30-2000, 11:54 PM
Hi Guy's: I bought my Walker in June of 97. I have had 4 instenances where I thought the shear pins should have broken and didn't.I think its a poor design and from what I am reading the new design isn't any better.I bought 1 gear box,my helper wasn't paying attenition and ran up over a large rock and sheared the spindle off at the bottom of the deck,I belive it was $165.00.I have ruined 2 sets of blades from hitting objects too large to move with out shearing a pin.Another time my hand sliped on the lever and I went up on top of a large rock and blew a gasket in one houseing.Oil came out all over the deck.I have had the blades tighten up with out hitting anything also.Looking back at my hits I think the gear boxes are very strong.I think a lot of the warranty service depends on the dealer.<p>I had a lot of problems at first with idler bearings seezing up and burning the belt.I thought I had every bad bearing that was made.The dealer at the time would replace the bearing but I had to pay for the belt.Three belts in one week,the same one each time,was the last straw. I had every pully with bearings replaced.It cost me a few bucks but the dealer was 1 hour away whitch also was costly.Haven't replaced one sence.

JJ Lawn
05-31-2000, 12:54 AM
I guess that the experts have spoken...<p>I don't think I ripped off my dealer either by having my gear box replaced under warranty, and evidentialy neither did Walker since they replaced it &quot;UNDER WARRANTY&quot;. walkerrider did not rip off his dealer either. Walker replaced it &quot;UNDER WARRANTY&quot; Like gene, slingslot and I said, we think that there was a problem with the design. And it also seems that WALKER did to., cause they replaced them &quot;UNDER WARRANTY&quot;.<p>And Grassmaster, I am not disputing your answer nor your expert opinion. Well maybe just a little. My complaint was with the robot A-1 coming and posting for someone else and making a blanket statement &quot;listen to grassmaster, he's an expert when comes to equip&quot; Kind of like saying,ignore all the other post and just listen to Grassmaster. Well in this case I think Grassmaster is wrong, but that my opinion.<p>Jim

CMerLand
05-31-2000, 07:50 AM
Also a walker owner and lover since 97 and am interested in knowing how many of you guys that have them actually use a torque wrench when installing your blades? The nuts are to be torqued to 60 ft lbs as listed in the owners manual. If you over torque these nuts, then the sheer pins will be defeated by the excessive pressure between the blades and the mounting plates. We use a craftsmen click type torque wrench and change the blades daily. We have sheered a whole lot of pins off but havent broken a blade gearbox yet because of improper torquing. HOWEVER, while the machine was under warrenty, the center gearbox was damaged (cause unknown ie: nothing was hit) and my dealer replaced it without charge, labor and parts. When the dealer has to determine whether or not its a warrenty issue makes having a good relationship with your dealer far more important then saving a few bucks buying your stuff down the road or online when these situations arise. Other warrenty issues that have arisen has been the kohler 25 hp engine coils and &quot;smart box&quot; which were replaced and were also covered because of my quality dealer.<p>Now as far as Walker replacing something questionable under warrenty doesnt mean the company agrees that its a bad design. As someone else mentioned its called goodwill and good business sense for the exact reason that you spent $ 9000 for your machine and they want you to buy another one when you need it. Spending a few dollars on your repair and keeping you in the walker family is way easier then finding new customers willing to spend 10000 on a new machine.<p>Im amazed on here that some of the people on here that would tell a customer to go to hell because of a complaint, are shocked, stunned and outraged when a dealer tells them the same thing when they bring in the piece of equipment they got from joe blow down the street to save a few bucks but now cant do the warrenty repairs. Sometimes a penny spent is a dollar earned.<p><p>

Nilsson Associates
05-31-2000, 08:13 AM
JJlawn,<p>A-1 is not a robot. A-1 is a real person.<br>A-1 gets paid by Nilsson to answer posts, to help real people. A-1 auto response systems is a robot computer. <p>A-1 said grassmaster is an expert at equipment because A-1 had an opinion about that. Don't listen to A-1, don't listen to grassmaster if you don't want to.<p>A-1

AB Lawn Care
05-31-2000, 12:46 PM
Just so you know I properly torque my blades every time I sharpen them.Which is about ever 3 days of work.<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

thelawnguy
05-31-2000, 01:07 PM
JJLawn, relax, Ive come to the conclusion the A-1 Nilsson-can-hide-behind-unpopular-ideas thing is like a bad rash the more you itch the worse it gets maybe if we all stop scratching the rash will go away.<p>Myself, I like using my own brain and sorting thru the posts and making my own decisions about what works best for me. Watch Regis a little more closely, the audience majority isnt always correct.<p>Bill<p>PS IMO if I hit a stump I would just suck it up and pay the tab. Unless, of course, I bought a stump cutter instead of a lawn mower.

GrassMaster
05-31-2000, 02:59 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>Hey, I had a bad hair day yesterday!<p>If you were up front with your dealer & you were. Two things happened & both were miracles.<p>1. It sounds to me like your dealer kind of went out of the way to help you out & believe me that is rare this day & time!<p>This dealer is one that I would want to keep, he could have easily told you to pay if you are going to play. It's hard to find good dealers, just listen to the other Pro's & what they have to say about some of their dealings with their dealers.<p>2. Sounds like the Walker Company is standing behind their dealers 100%, which again is very rare this day & time also!<p>When I here words like hit a stump, I think along the lines of something 4&quot; min in diameter & sticking up several inches out of the ground.<p>One of the bad things about forums is sometimes when the original poster or whatever makes a post it is not exactly the way it sounds. Like the stump thing.<p>Then later things are more defined & you start getting a different picture than percieved the first time. Then old know it all expert fools like me realize that we did not post what should of been said the first time. Again that's why we have discussions like this. Personally I love it, it does get hard at times, but the rewards are out of this world.<p>I deal with real life situations & that's what I base my post on. I've only made one post asking questions, all the rest I answer trying to help others! <p>I try to help all I can & if I could, I would either double your incomes or fix it where you get free heath care & never have to pay taxes as long as you live!<p>No matter who or what you are, I want all of you to do WELL!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

gene gls
05-31-2000, 11:42 PM
CMerLand: The dealer I bought my unit from said to only torque the blade nuts to 40 ft lbs..I change mine daily and always torque to 40 ft lbs.

cantoo
06-01-2000, 10:49 PM
Pro Power Canada sent me a torque wrench and socket as a &quot;free&quot; gift after I bought my new Walker to make sure that I torque it down properly. Adam, find an e-mail addy for Pro Power and see if they will send you one, it's a good clicker one.